• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6/27 Sharkbutt @ A'ss

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhhh, don't like the idea of our best pitcher risking getting beaned, tweaking a hammy, sliding wrong, etc.

Like when Bochy used to use Cain to pinch run. Yeesh! What could possibly go wrong?

View attachment 131925
Bumgarner DH'ing is no different than any other night he pitches (except his pitching arm stays fresh). Besides, everyone else on the team are pulling hammys.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bumgarner DH'ing is no different than any other night he pitches (except his pitching arm stays fresh). Besides, everyone else on the team are pulling hammys.
I disagree. The real value of Bum is his arm. If he were to DH that puts him at risk of injury from all the non pitching activities with none of the pitching upside. It most definitely is different.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fun as it would be, when we look at it SERIOUSLY, McParker would be a MUCH better option to DH than to either use Bum as a DH tomorrow or to forfeit the option on Thurseday.

Using him as a PH is certain cituations makes sense. Having him hit in the NL gives the Giants a distinct advantage. But he is still just a good-hitting pitcher. I believe that if he were to hurt his arm, he may be able to come back as a 1B of OFer, but that would require a few years or dedication.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fun as it would be, when we look at it SERIOUSLY, McParker would be a MUCH better option to DH than to either use Bum as a DH tomorrow or to forfeit the option on Thurseday.

Using him as a PH is certain cituations makes sense. Having him hit in the NL gives the Giants a distinct advantage. But he is still just a good-hitting pitcher. I believe that if he were to hurt his arm, he may be able to come back as a 1B of OFer, but that would require a few years or dedication.
Maybe if someone can convince Bochy that using the DH is like using the same guy to pinch hit throughout the game he'd go for it. I'd like to see Parker one night and Williamson the next. Why not use the possibility when it comes available? But cal, for a guy who's so disgusted by the DH concept, I'm surprised you are not more supportive of Bochy's idea?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what happens when I make ignorant statements based on cherry picked memories? Let that be a lesson to you!
Shut up, all of us...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if someone can convince Bochy that using the DH is like using the same guy to pinch hit throughout the game he'd go for it. I'd like to see Parker one night and Williamson the next. Why not use the possibility when it comes available? But cal, for a guy who's so disgusted by the DH concept, I'm surprised you are not more supportive of Bochy's idea?
I hate the DH. That does not change.

But if one team uses the DH, and one team does not, the team using the DH has a distinct advantage. I have never claimed otherwise.

Would rather a team use a batting order or just send up anyone at any time? If the rules dictate that I can send anyone up at any time, than just because I think the rule ruins the game does not mean that I would insist on starting the 3rd inning with my #7 hitter. That would just be stupid.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Bocy is considering using Posey as the DH for Brown. I know that USED to be legal. I am not sure if it is still allowed, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if one team uses the DH, and one team does not, the team using the DH has a distinct advantage. I have never claimed otherwise.

Would rather a team use a batting order or just send up anyone at any time? If the rules dictate that I can send anyone up at any time, than just because I think the rule ruins the game does not mean that I would insist on starting the 3rd inning with my #7 hitter. That would just be stupid.
There are only two kinds of people in the world.
1. Those who hate the DH
2. Those who are wrong.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 6 starts for Shitshowdzija:
6 IP; 8 H; 2 BB; 2 K; 1 HR
3 IP; 6 H; 2 BB; 2 K; 3 HR
9 IP; 4 H; 0 BB; 4 K; 1 HR
4.2; 7; 2; 3; 0
5; 9; 0; 2; 4
5; 6; 2; 4; 0

Average: 5.1 IP; 7 H; 1 BB; 3 K; 2 HR Avg PQS = 2.0

#weaklink.

He will be okay, just in a slump right now. The velocity is there, but he's just throwing and not locating. He missed Posey's target by quite a bit on Semien's HR. Better to be struggling now than later in the season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be okay, just in a slump right now. The velocity is there, but he's just throwing and not locating. He missed Posey's target by quite a bit on Semien's HR. Better to be struggling now than later in the season.

oh, I know. He had 10 very good starts followed by 5/6 disasters. He's at sub 4.00 ERA. Probably about what the Giants thought they were getting when they signed him. Hope he's not on a bad streak in September....

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, I know. He had 10 very good starts followed by 5/6 disasters. He's at sub 4.00 ERA. Probably about what the Giants thought they were getting when they signed him. Hope he's not on a bad streak in September....

The more he works with Posey behind the plate the better. One of his post-game comments yesterday was how he was rushing pitches. Maybe Posey can have him become more deliberate, especially in the tough situations with men on base.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got it.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is uncanny how this team just can't figure out young pitchers. It has been that way for how many years now?
It is very strange.

Do you think his unorthodox delivery had something to do with it?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very strange.

Do you think his unorthodox delivery had something to do with it?

For sure, just like Cueto's delivery is a weapon for him. That's good pitching. But the Giants seem to have problems with youngsters with regular deliveries too. Although I wonder if we now only notice the times a rookie beats us and just forget the times we hit them hard.