• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.22 Rodominator @ Knaves

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see pitch tracker after this game. This is ridiculous.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still dislike the idea but I also dislike bad calls.
Umpires should be like the distance between bases or the foul lines themselves. Just pieces of the field. I don’t need the 2B bag in Pittsburgh to have a different personality from the 2B bag in Miami. I dont buy a ticket to watch Joe West or Angel Hernandez.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just don’t have the bully magic this year.
We have the salary cap to get any available closer before the deadline. This is a must.

I have an out of the box solution.

Trade for Mad Bum, and make him The Closer.

I know he's over the hill as a starter. But if he had to pitch one inning every other day, he would be awesome.

We could probably get him for an inconsequential prospect or two. His salary is not ridiculous (about 12 mm for the rest of 2022, 23 mm for 2023, and 14 mm for 2024), and we have a ton of cap room.

How awesome would it be to have a one run lead late in the game, knowing you have Bumgarner to pitch the ninth? The rest of the bullpen would fall in line real fast.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the salary cap to get any available closer before the deadline. This is a must.

I know he's over the hill as a starter. But if he had to pitch one inning every other day, he would be awesome.

We could probably get him for an inconsequential prospect or two. His salary is not ridiculous (about 12 mm for the rest of 2022, 23 mm for 2023, and 14 mm for 2024), and we have a ton of cap room.

How awesome would it be to have a one run lead late in the game, knowing you have Bumgarner to pitch the ninth? The rest of the bullpen would fall in line real fast.

I could go with MadBum. Lengthen his career out a little and maybe throw something in there to make him a lock for the HOF. He wouldn’t need any rest between games pitched.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is an interesting idea but would only work if he was on board with the idea. How do you talk with a guy who is on another team to find out if he'd be willing to do it. Knowing his personality, acquiring him and then trying to force him into the role would be disastrous. Not sure if the logistics make it viable.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still dislike the idea but I also dislike bad calls.
I hate change in baseball generally (see: hitter, designated; ghost runner; 3 hitter rule). But this one I've never been against. We can get balls/strikes to near 100% accuracy and let the players decide the game. Seems like a no brainer to me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate change in baseball generally (see: hitter, designated; ghost runner; 3 hitter rule). But this one I've never been against. We can get balls/strikes to near 100% accuracy and let the players decide the game. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Agree. But the tech HAS to be there first. That’s why I am in no rush to implement it, I just want it to be implemented eventually.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an interesting idea but would only work if he was on board with the idea. How do you talk with a guy who is on another team to find out if he'd be willing to do it. Knowing his personality, acquiring him and then trying to force him into the role would be disastrous. Not sure if the logistics make it viable.
This is what I was thinking. Also, I doubt FZ would see enough value for that kind of contract. Great out of the box thinking though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. But the tech HAS to be there first. That’s why I am in no rush to implement it, I just want it to be implemented eventually.
I think the tech is there. But, we'll know in a year or two. It's being demo'd in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the tech is there. But, we'll know in a year or two. It's being demo'd in the minors.
It may very well be. But I am willing to wait as long as is necessary to make sure it works on day 1. If that means next season, GREAT. If that means 3 years from now, OK.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Bum would definitely have to be on board with the idea before the deal was made.

But Bum has to be frustrated with his current situation. His team is going nowhere. He has to know his own skills as a starter have declined. Bum gets up for the big games - his playoff shutouts in 2014 and 2016, his 0.25 ERA in 40 innings in the World Series. He saw what Timmy did in 2012, and what he himself did in 2014.

He has nothing to prove as a starter. No one could deny that he he is the most awesome playoff pitcher of this generation. This would be a great way to finish his career, on a contender that he would be a HUGE part of.

The only question would be his entrance music.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only question would be his entrance music.
I may be showing my age, but Aqualung would be a good choice. Iconic opening riff, song about a crazy, scary guy who basically doesn't give a f###.

"Snot rockets running down his nose,
Sticky fingers smearing shabby clo-HOTHES,
Hey Mad Bum!"

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mad Bum suggestion is really quite interesting. BUT ..i'm not sure it's only Mad Bum that could fill that role. Being a ForeverGiant gives him the edge but an top tier starter that is closing out his career could probably also fill that role.

My only question is about mindset ... closers seem to have a totally different approach to the game. They seem to live on the edge and relish the opportunity to be there ....

But ... this was a GREAT idea ....