• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

53 man roster?

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any prediction threads or is everyone waiting?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was thinking of doing one, but figured I'd wait until mini camp is over.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of doing one, but figured I'd wait until mini camp is over.

That would probably make for a more substantive discussion, but I'm interested about which way certain posters are leaning for those last few spots. Special teams has been so important the last few seasons. Even with the improved offense, I hope there is emphasis on finding the versatility of the next CJ Spillman, Anthony Dixon, Blake Costanzo, etc., while having enough roster space to properly develop the rookies.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this to see if any one else thought Daniels would make team over Tolzien? That wasn't main reason just one of a few. Reading that he is really impressing tho.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if the Niners think they could re-sign McCoy for a 2-3 yr extension, then I would assume that Tolzien would be redundant. BJ Daniels adds more versatility if he can show to be consistently accurate...which may be what holds him back from truly becoming our #3 if he is cut. He's got a good arm, he's shifty, he's seems to have some solid upside based on the reports coming from workouts this offseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that if the Niners think they could re-sign McCoy for a 2-3 yr extension, then I would assume that Tolzien would be redundant. BJ Daniels adds more versatility if he can show to be consistently accurate...which may be what holds him back from truly becoming our #3 if he is cut. He's got a good arm, he's shifty, he's seems to have some solid upside based on the reports coming from workouts this offseason.

if Tolzien can show he's consistently accurate, he'll win out. we want the better passer first and foremost.

if the competition in passing is close enough, then versatility is the tie breaker. granted, how close is close enough?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if Tolzien can show he's consistently accurate, he'll win out. we want the better passer first and foremost.

if the competition in passing is close enough, then versatility is the tie breaker. granted, how close is close enough?

At third QB, I'm not sure I agree with that. We've got a young, promising, athletically gifted starter. We've got a fairly proven backup who is somewhat similar to Tolzien in that he's a solid, heady player with physical limitations. The third QB in that sort of a situation should be a guy with upside we can groom, and who can perhaps contribute in other areas. Obviously if Daniels proves to be a poor passer he would not get the nod. But if it's close, with Tolzien a bit better as a passer and Daniels excelling in other areas, I think Daniels could get the nod.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At third QB, I'm not sure I agree with that. We've got a young, promising, athletically gifted starter. We've got a fairly proven backup who is somewhat similar to Tolzien in that he's a solid, heady player with physical limitations. The third QB in that sort of a situation should be a guy with upside we can groom, and who can perhaps contribute in other areas. Obviously if Daniels proves to be a poor passer he would not get the nod. But if it's close, with Tolzien a bit better as a passer and Daniels excelling in other areas, I think Daniels could get the nod.

not a problem if you disagree, however your last sentence is what I said too??!!

yes, there is a question of how close is 'close enough'? you described it as "a bit better as a passer", but same thing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not a problem if you disagree, however your last sentence is what I said too??!!

yes, there is a question of how close is 'close enough'? you described it as "a bit better as a passer", but same thing.

Fair enough. Obviously it's early yet, but based on reports out of mini camp, Tolzien is in some trouble. Daniels has apparently been throwing the all markedly better, and obviously has far greater versatility.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if daniels beats out tolzien, can we trade tolzien to kc for a 5th?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok, with mini camp over, let's give this a go:

Offense (24)

QB (3) - Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels

The only question is whether Daniels or Tolzien wins the third spot. Given that McCoy is a fairly established player and Kap is young, we should use that third spot to develop a guy. Versatility a plus. For those reasons, Daniels gets the nod.

RB (5) - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller (Lattimore on IR or PUP)

I want to keep Jewel Hampton, but I don't see it at this point. I'm pretty sure he's still got PS eligibility, I think at least in part because he was activated to the active roster last year. He'd have to beat out Dixon on STs to make the roster this year, and I don't see it happening.

WR (5) - Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton, Moore (Manningham and Crabtree on PUP to start)

The first four are basically gimmes. Moore is a surprise, but he's looked good in practices to date and he's a good gunner. If Lockette is going to make it, he needs to show something on STs.

TE (3) - Davis, McDonald, Celek

No real mystery here, especially with Morrah gone.

OL (8) - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder (Marquardt on IR)

Not a lot of mystery here. Maybe we keep a 9th. I wonder if Netter might challenge Snyder this year. He's seen a lot of action at OT lately, he's considerably younger, and it's not like Snyder is very good anyway.

Defense (26)

DL (7) - Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Williams, Carradine, Dobbs, Dial

We go a bit heavy here. Dobbs beats out Tukuafu for the vet spot. His ability to play TE, a position where we are a bit light, helps, and he's considerably younger than Tukuafu and a better pass rusher. No other real serious questions here, though I don't think Dial is guaranteed a spot.

LB (9) - Willis, Bowman, Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta, Wilhoite, Cam Johnson

I go heavy again, largely because of STs. Cam Johnson nabs the last spot due to his pass rush potential. Only one backup ILB, but Skuta can presumably also play at that spot in a pinch.

CB (6) - Rodgers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, ???

We go heavy again (a theme here on D). Everyone other than Culliver is a FA next year, though. I'm not sure who wins that last spot right now. Frankly, even Brock's spot is pretty tenuous. Word is we have three pretty good-looking rookies. I think we keep one of them. Cox is also in the mix.

S (4) - Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman

No surprise on the four guys who stick. Robinson was my last cut. I want to keep him as Whitner is almost certainly gone next year, and Robinson may be our best true FS. Ss can also be good STs players. However, I think our need at CB is too big to justify keeping another player here, and I'd rather keep another pass rusher in Cam Johnson.

STs (3)

Lee, Dawson, Jennings.

The only question here is whether McDonald can take over LS duties. I think Jennings sticks around for another year or two.

PS

Bykowski
Netter
Hampton (I believe he's eligible)
Gray
Robinson (I believe he's also eligible)
Best remaining rookie CB
Okoye (why not?)
Fleming

Obviously the PS is totally up for grabs, and likely to get picked over by other teams to a degree. I don't see a whole lot of questions on the active roster, at least until/unless guys like Manningham and Crabtree come back from injury. We shall see, though. I'm sure there will be some surprises, probably revolving around STs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WR (5) - Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton, Moore (Manningham and Crabtree on PUP to start)

Manningham is a tough call for PUP, cause isn't he expected back for TC? even if not, and he's back for Pre-Season, thats still four weeks to get his football legs.

isn't this his last year under contract?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, with mini camp over, let's give this a go:

Offense (24)

QB (3) - Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels

The only question is whether Daniels or Tolzien wins the third spot. Given that McCoy is a fairly established player and Kap is young, we should use that third spot to develop a guy. Versatility a plus. For those reasons, Daniels gets the nod.

RB (5) - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller (Lattimore on IR or PUP)

I want to keep Jewel Hampton, but I don't see it at this point. I'm pretty sure he's still got PS eligibility, I think at least in part because he was activated to the active roster last year. He'd have to beat out Dixon on STs to make the roster this year, and I don't see it happening.

The first four are basically gimmes. Moore is a surprise, but he's looked good in practices to date and he's a good gunner. If Lockette is going to make it, he needs to show something on STs.

TE (3) - Davis, McDonald, Celek

No real mystery here, especially with Morrah gone.

OL (8) - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder (Marquardt on IR)

Not a lot of mystery here. Maybe we keep a 9th. I wonder if Netter might challenge Snyder this year. He's seen a lot of action at OT lately, he's considerably younger, and it's not like Snyder is very good anyway.

Defense (26)

DL (7) - Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Williams, Carradine, Dobbs, Dial

We go a bit heavy here. Dobbs beats out Tukuafu for the vet spot. His ability to play TE, a position where we are a bit light, helps, and he's considerably younger than Tukuafu and a better pass rusher. No other real serious questions here, though I don't think Dial is guaranteed a spot.

LB (9) - Willis, Bowman, Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta, Wilhoite, Cam Johnson

I go heavy again, largely because of STs. Cam Johnson nabs the last spot due to his pass rush potential. Only one backup ILB, but Skuta can presumably also play at that spot in a pinch.

CB (6) - Rodgers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock, ???

We go heavy again (a theme here on D). Everyone other than Culliver is a FA next year, though. I'm not sure who wins that last spot right now. Frankly, even Brock's spot is pretty tenuous. Word is we have three pretty good-looking rookies. I think we keep one of them. Cox is also in the mix.

S (4) - Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman

No surprise on the four guys who stick. Robinson was my last cut. I want to keep him as Whitner is almost certainly gone next year, and Robinson may be our best true FS. Ss can also be good STs players. However, I think our need at CB is too big to justify keeping another player here, and I'd rather keep another pass rusher in Cam Johnson.

STs (3)

Lee, Dawson, Jennings.

The only question here is whether McDonald can take over LS duties. I think Jennings sticks around for another year or two.

PS

Bykowski
Netter
Hampton (I believe he's eligible)
Gray
Robinson (I believe he's also eligible)
Best remaining rookie CB
Okoye (why not?)
Fleming

Obviously the PS is totally up for grabs, and likely to get picked over by other teams to a degree. I don't see a whole lot of questions on the active roster, at least until/unless guys like Manningham and Crabtree come back from injury. We shall see, though. I'm sure there will be some surprises, probably revolving around STs.

agree with the lean towards defense, even if the reason is more for ST's than D itself. a little more depth for defense is good.

if Dobbs is going to fill that 3rd TE spot, then i'd consider going with two TE's.

isn't Dial injured too? if so, i'd think he's more PS than 53?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Manningham is a tough call for PUP, cause isn't he expected back for TC? even if not, and he's back for Pre-Season, thats still four weeks to get his football legs.

isn't this his last year under contract?

We'll have to see what happens with Manningham. Last I heard, it's VERY unlikely he'll be back for the start of TC, and I get the sense he's still a ways away. If he's healthy, we need to get him into the lineup. But we need him to be healthy. PUP allows him to come back after six weeks, so it's not that long to go without him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
agree with the lean towards defense, even if the reason is more for ST's than D itself. a little more depth for defense is good.

if Dobbs is going to fill that 3rd TE spot, then i'd consider going with two TE's.

isn't Dial injured too? if so, i'd think he's more PS than 53?

We use the TE a lot and we're pretty thin at WR, so I think it would be wise to keep Celek. Otherwise, one injury and we're in serious trouble.

As for Dial, he is injured. Some sort of toe thing, I think. I don't believe it's serious, though, and assuming he's healthy for the start of TC, I think he makes the roster. He was a 5th rounder. That's a relatively high pick to waive. It wouldn't shock me, though.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Barrows on Manningham in his most recent chat, question about when Manningham would return:

Don't know. But Harbaugh seemed to hint that he wouldn't be ready for the start of the regular season. If he is on PUP, he might not be back until midseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We use the TE a lot and we're pretty thin at WR, so I think it would be wise to keep Celek. Otherwise, one injury and we're in serious trouble.

As for Dial, he is injured. Some sort of toe thing, I think. I don't believe it's serious, though, and assuming he's healthy for the start of TC, I think he makes the roster. He was a 5th rounder. That's a relatively high pick to waive. It wouldn't shock me, though.

don't doubt we'll use two TE's, but the thought was about Dobbs being the 3rd TE? if you're going to keep Dobbs because of his dual role, no problem. but then you might CONSIDER using Celek's spot elsewhere? if you want to keep Celek because he'll potentially play, then Dobb's dual role isn't much of factor for him?

oh ok on Dial. then he might go PUP (six weeks) instead of PS?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barrows on Manningham in his most recent chat, question about when Manningham would return:

Don't know. But Harbaugh seemed to hint that he wouldn't be ready for the start of the regular season. If he is on PUP, he might not be back until midseason.

that's too bad, then PUP does look likely.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
don't doubt we'll use two TE's, but the thought was about Dobbs being the 3rd TE? if you're going to keep Dobbs because of his dual role, no problem. but then you might CONSIDER using Celek's spot elsewhere? if you want to keep Celek because he'll potentially play, then Dobb's dual role isn't much of factor for him?

oh ok on Dial. then he might go PUP (six weeks) instead of PS?

Re: Dobbs, he's more of a blocker. We could make use of him in some sets, but I don't think we want him as a guy who would potentially see the field quite a lot, which is the situation we could be in if Davis or McDonald gets hurt. And I think the staff likes what we have in Celek. Dobbs is currently the first DE as far as I'm concerned, so we're not keeping him for his ability to play TE, and we don't want him to play all that much TE. It's just another area where he can contribute/provide depth. He also played on all of our STs units before the injury.

As for Dial, I would think he might be ready for the start of training camp, so I think he'll make a run at the active roster. None of our backup DL were drafted players (Dial and Carradine excepted, of course). I think Dial has a pretty good chance of sticking.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Re: Dobbs, he's more of a blocker. We could make use of him in some sets, but I don't think we want him as a guy who would potentially see the field quite a lot, which is the situation we could be in if Davis or McDonald gets hurt. And I think the staff likes what we have in Celek. Dobbs is currently the first DE as far as I'm concerned, so we're not keeping him for his ability to play TE, and we don't want him to play all that much TE. It's just another area where he can contribute/provide depth. He also played on all of our STs units before the injury.

As for Dial, I would think he might be ready for the start of training camp, so I think he'll make a run at the active roster. None of our backup DL were drafted players (Dial and Carradine excepted, of course). I think Dial has a pretty good chance of sticking.

and this is fine for Dobbs, no problem here. but just saying IF this is the case, then can't say part of the reason we're keeping Dobbs......is his ability to play TE? the below is your description earlier for D-linemen.

so not arguing whether Dobbs can or cannot play TE, am saying you're on both sides of the fence. first you say keep him because he helps at TE, then say keep Celek because Dobbs can't play TE.

ok good on Dial, obviously i'm with you in hoping he pans out. not as positive in his odds ("pretty good chance"), but i'm with you.