• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins Round 1: There will be blood

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...seriously. Some guys may be calling it an early night, and we don't even know what the roster will look like.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh that Briere pick is painful...I don't want to think it'd change the series, but...I think it anyway.

That one was shopped in two ways. The curly line is obvious, but the second is that Briere was much closer to the line when the puck crossed. The guy who made it moved him for comic effect.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens haven't mentally checked out yet, they can win Game 4. But how they do it will determine whether or not I re-invest some hope. A 2-1 game where we play some defense / kill a penalty = modicrum of hope. A high-scoring game = nope.

Anyway, pretty stress-free about this series at this point, at least I have that going.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the most posts in this thread.

Do the Penguins win anything for that?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the suspensions have not been given out yet is an utter fucking disgrace and I hope this means Shanny is gone after this year.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the suspensions have not been given out yet is an utter fucking disgrace and I hope this means Shanny is gone after this year.
You know, there's a lot of things you can critisize about Shanny's work this year, but I think harping on his timing is going a bit overboard...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seeing as the NHL controls his contract...and he's merely a puppet for the NHL to do what they want...and he has a pretty face for the camera? He ain't going no where until HE wants out. **TINFOIL**

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, there's a lot of things you can critisize about Shanny's work this year, but I think harping on his timing is going a bit overboard...

Neither of these are borderline or first time offender. There are clear cut NEal should get 2 IMO(1 for each hit since he's a repeater) and Asham should get 8+ cause he could have killed another player, I'd like to see him get much more but I doubt that will happen.

I know his timing isn't his biggest issue(the ridiculous inconsistency is), but now after the Torres hit on Hossa it begs the question of if the suspensions were handed out before the game would that hit be made?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of these are borderline or first time offender. There are clear cut NEal should get 2 IMO(1 for each hit since he's a repeater) and Asham should get 8+ cause he could have killed another player, I'd like to see him get much more but I doubt that will happen.

I know his timing isn't his biggest issue(the ridiculous inconsistency is), but now after the Torres hit on Hossa it begs the question of if the suspensions were handed out before the game would that hit be made?

I imagine the Neal and Asham decisions were back-burnered for the simple fact that the game isn't until tomorrow.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I think I've seen a bit of a pattern to the suspensions.

Targeting the head on during play with the shoulder / elbow, etc... results in a "heavy" (by current standards) suspension - Keith on Sedin (5 games), Hagland on Alfie (3 games), Shaw on Smith (3 games).

However, post-whistle scrums are almost forgiven, as long as nobody is injured - Carkner (1 game), Weber (fine), Adams (1 game).

My theory is the NHL wants to cut down on the former because of the increased likelihood of concussions due ot the speed of play. It's a hot button issue and they want to address it. But the post-whistle scrums aren't as dangerous, really, and they build up a lot of hate ("passion"?) between teams, thereby pulling in viewers.

Not saying it's right, but does anybody else agree with that pattern?

Based on which, I'd expect a HEAVY suspension for Torres, and a rescinded penalty for Backstrom.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But who cares how long it takes? As long as the decision comes before the next game? I don't see how it matters, other than forcing fans to refresh twitter every five seconds.

As for the bold - not happening after the Weber / Carkner joke punishments. That's the NHL, folks.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine the Neal and Asham decisions were back-burnered for the simple fact that the game isn't until tomorrow.

Wouldn't that be considered influencing the game though, due to the pure fact that neither team know what the roster will be? I mean the last thing I want to see is MacIntyre in tomorrow, especially at the last minute before the Flyers can at least dress Shelly.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who cares how long it takes? As long as the decision comes before the next game? I don't see how it matters, other than forcing fans to refresh twitter every five seconds.

As for the bold - not happening after the Weber / Carkner joke punishments. That's the NHL, folks.

Which is a joke in itself since neither Weber or Carker's stupidity could have crushed a guys wind pipe and had him suffocate in front of a national TV audience...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that be considered influencing the game though, due to the pure fact that neither team know what the roster will be? I mean the last thing I want to see is MacIntyre in tomorrow, especially at the last minute before the Flyers can at least dress Shelly.

It's pretty clear that Asham won't be in, and given recent suspension trends, it also seems unlikely Neal will be.

When it comes down to it, both teams are more or less equally affected.

I'm not saying I agree with it, just what the likely rationale is.

And the office has a lot of these things to go through right now. They almost have to prioritize by when the affect teams' next game is.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty clear that Asham won't be in, and given recent suspension trends, it also seems unlikely Neal will be.

When it comes down to it, both teams are more or less equally affected.

I'm not saying I agree with it, just what the likely rationale is.

And the office has a lot of these things to go through right now. They almost have to prioritize by when the affect teams' next game is.

I guess I can understand that, it just seems in cut and dry cases the decisions should be made quicker and not reliant on the availability of a film crew and Shanny's tailor.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details BREAKING NEWS: Neal suspended for one game, Asham for four.