• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5/4 PV @ RainCincySweep

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to the game next Monday versus the Blue Jays. Just realized Peavy is going to start that game... shit

I am going Monday night as well. I was REALLY hoping for Moses.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bloody likely he will

Per Boch today, I think he IS going to remain in the rotation for another couple turns at least.

“He’s as tough as there is,” Bochy said. “I can assure you he’s hard on himself, harder than anybody. I’m sure he’s not content with how things are going. But he’s been through it. He went through it last year.

“It’s the old adage, `It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.’ We’ll get him right and we’ll get on a roll here.”

--doesn't sound like a manager ready to pull the plug to me.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Boch today, I think he IS going to remain in the rotation for another couple turns at least.

“He’s as tough as there is,” Bochy said. “I can assure you he’s hard on himself, harder than anybody. I’m sure he’s not content with how things are going. But he’s been through it. He went through it last year.

“It’s the old adage, `It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.’ We’ll get him right and we’ll get on a roll here.”

--doesn't sound like a manager ready to pull the plug to me.

OK, it's only six starts, but holy crud, the guy is averaging 4.67 innings per start with an ERA of 9. He's given up 28 runs in 28 innings pitched. And he's given up 6 homers (albeit four in today's game). He's given up 47 hits and 8 walks in 28 innings for a WHIP of 1.96

PV may well be tough as there is, and he may be hard on himself. Fine. We know he is a competitor. But what happens when it is demonstrable that he can no long compete at this level, save for a decent inning here and there?

The bigger question is, "Does he give the Giants a decent chance to win a game?" And that answer is a definite "no" so far. I know Noggin is loyal and all that, but this looks like more than just a season opening slump. This is a guy who can no longer pitch at the major league level. Thanks for the hard work, Jake, but it is pretty close to time to move on.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, it's only six starts, but holy crud, the guy is averaging 4.67 innings per start with an ERA of 9. He's given up 28 runs in 28 innings pitched. And he's given up 6 homers (albeit four in today's game). He's given up 47 hits and 8 walks in 28 innings for a WHIP of 1.96

PV may well be tough as there is, and he may be hard on himself. Fine. We know he is a competitor. But what happens when it is demonstrable that he can no long compete at this level, save for a decent inning here and there?

The bigger question is, "Does he give the Giants a decent chance to win a game?" And that answer is a definite "no" so far. I know Noggin is loyal and all that, but this looks like more than just a season opening slump. This is a guy who can no longer pitch at the major league level. Thanks for the hard work, Jake, but it is pretty close to time to move on.

I think they agree...it's 'pretty close' to time to move on. Looks like he gets a little more rope.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the bright side... Still in first.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think on this board, you're preaching to the choir. We all want him out of the rotation. However, Boch is long-playing this to a certain extent. That is, keep him in the rotation for another couple starts and you get these upsides: 1. You repay loyalty to a long time player who you've managed for the majority of his career 2. This goes noticed by players in the clubhouse and across the majors 3. PV could potentially turn it around and become productive.

I want him cut loose/DL'd too, but Bochy has a lot more to think about in May than a couple of starts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think on this board, you're preaching to the choir. We all want him out of the rotation. However, Boch is long-playing this to a certain extent. That is, keep him in the rotation for another couple starts and you get these upsides: 1. You repay loyalty to a long time player who you've managed for the majority of his career 2. This goes noticed by players in the clubhouse and across the majors 3. PV could potentially turn it around and become productive.

I want him cut loose/DL'd too, but Bochy has a lot more to think about in May than a couple of starts.
Yup. 1000x yup.

DD to the equation that there is no one currently kicking in the door to take his spot, so it makes it easier for Noggin to stick to his loyalty. Benching him now makes no sense if you are just pulling some schmoe off the street to take his spot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. 1000x yup.

DD to the equation that there is no one currently kicking in the door to take his spot, so it makes it easier for Noggin to stick to his loyalty. Benching him now makes no sense if you are just pulling some schmoe off the street to take his spot.
Even if that Schmoe has a name that rhymes with Jim Finslabum.