• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5/29 Gnats @ Jints

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was bush league by Strickland though. He's still mad Harper hit 2 dingers off him in the 2014 playoffs. Why that deserves a beaning I have no idea. Not that it matters with where this team is going of course.

Agree, Strickland should just be mad at himself for not throwing better pitches.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iirc strickland was dishing up fastballs, can't blame harper for turning on them
Harper is a hothead in general.

Strickland in a hothead in general.

They had a VERY high profile crossing 3 years ago, and Strickland did not handle it well (remember his screaming and the backlash he got in the media for it). I am surprised it took this long for this to happen.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this rate, this season will be a "success" if this team can avoid 90 losses and the NL West cellar.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strickland is an idiot. Posey doing nothing to stop Harper kinda makes you wonder if he warned Strickland to not do anything stupid.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this rate, this season will be a "success" if this team can avoid 90 losses and the NL West cellar.
If they aren't even contending, might as well be REALLY bad so we can get another Posey/Bum level player.

I don't know if the Gs have ever missed on a top-5 pick (Posey, Clark, Williams, Thompson. Wheeler was a semi-bust, but that was after he was traded). Not sure they have missed on a top 10 pick (Lincecum, Bum...).

PS

I did some research...

Grilli at 4 had a nice career, but at 4 COULD be considered a bust.

Matt White (7) didn't sign with us, but he never did make it to the bigs. An unsigned player counts as a bust, right?

Soderstrom (6) and Murray (7) were both busts.

And then we get to the pre-Humm Baby picks...

Cockrell (9)
Grant (10)
Reid (7)
Cummings (7)
Landis (10)
Barnicle (8)
Boo (6)

Ok, I can see why we were bad for so long...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strickland is an idiot. Posey doing nothing to stop Harper kinda makes you wonder if he warned Strickland to not do anything stupid.
Wow. I hadn't noticed that. Posey is just standing there.

Catchers don't do that. I don't think I have EVER seen a catcher not get between the batter and pitcher before. That is telling.

I am not sure WHAT it is telling, but it is telling.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they aren't even contending, might as well be REALLY bad so we can get another Posey/Bum level player.

I don't know if the Gs have ever missed on a top-5 pick (Posey, Clark, Williams, Thompson. Wheeler was a semi-bust, but that was after he was traded). Not sure they have missed on a top 10 pick (Lincecum, Bum...).

PS

I did some research...

Grilli at 4 had a nice career, but at 4 COULD be considered a bust.

Matt White (7) didn't sign with us, but he never did make it to the bigs. An unsigned player counts as a bust, right?

Soderstrom (6) and Murray (7) were both busts.

And then we get to the pre-Humm Baby picks...

Cockrell (9)
Grant (10)
Reid (7)
Cummings (7)
Landis (10)
Barnicle (8)
Boo (6)

Ok, I can see why we were bad for so long...
Jason Grilli was a bust as a starting pitcher. He has made a nice career, though, in relief. While he is getting knocked around this year, its telling that he is still around. Overall, I wouldn't call him a bust.

Matt White is a for sure bust. The guy takes advantage of a rule loophole to, essentially, become a free agent (I blame that situation equally among the club, his agent and him). He goes to Tampa and get shelled in 7 starts in AAA his 4th season. I guess, in a sense, it wasn't a bust for the club because they didn't waste any money signing him but they did waste a draft pick when they could have drafted Eric Chavez instead (who was taken 3 picks later).

Calvin Murray, what an interesting story he was. The guy makes it to AAA in his first professional season (after not playing the year he was drafted). Then he stalled, mainly at AA, for the next 5 years (he spent all of his 5th professional season at AA). I was amazed that the Giants stuck with him so long. He finally got it together in 1999 in AAA at 27 years old and had two okay years with the Giants as a backup. He was definitely a bust.

Steve Soderstrom was also a bust but partially because of injuries. Of course, when he was healthy, he didn't always pitch well in AAA. His 97 and 99 campaigns were awful.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are

29th out of 30 teams in runs

29th out of 30 teams in RBIs

30th out of 30 teams in AVG

30th out of 30 teams in OBP

30th out of 30 teams in SLG

And our hitting coach still has a job? I know, he doesn't bat with RISP, blah blah blah. This hitting "problem" has been going on since last July, and we've done nothing except mix and match parts. Yes, injuries play a part, and it is not the Giants' Way to dismiss a coach in season. Something needs some shaking up. Lollygaggers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's interesting, I hadn't considered that possibility.

I saw Posey standing there and honestly figured he was just smartly staying out of it (and the umpire even nudged Posey aside a little, as if to say "I've got this").

But I can totally see Posey saying that. Also, I'm 100% fine with him standing there. Don't want him going into that pile and then getting tackled recklessly.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the repercussions of this will be.

Obviously there will be suspensions. Harper and Strickland, maybe Sammy and probably another Nat. But I don't care as much about that. I wonder what this is going to do to the clubhouse. Does Strickland see Posey not getting in the way differently than we do? Does this divide some guys in the clubhouse? Question Posey's leadership? I certainly fucking hope not.

And hopefully the Nats don't retaliate. But they probably will. That's always my thing about pitchers going after hitters, most pitchers don't have to face the other team in the batters box, but they set up a teammate to get plunked. It's fucked up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think it is interesting that Morse and Samardzjia were the 2 quickest to intervene, the 2 biggest guys on the team. Maybe the Giants have some sort of plan for this already. Only half joking

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think it is interesting that Morse and Samardzjia were the 2 quickest to intervene, the 2 biggest guys on the team. Maybe the Giants have some sort of plan for this already. Only half joking
Someone mentioned (not sure if it was here or on the main board) that Strickland was the one who told Posey to stay out of it.

Complete WAG...

Hunter has been wearing his behavior in the '14 playoffs for 3 years, and he needed to get the whole thing off his chest (right or wrong). He needed to let out all his frustration on the symbol of his mental meltdown, namely, Harper. So he told Posey to back off if/when it went down, and Posey respected his wishes. Morse is the team heart, and quite frankly, immensely expendable, so he was Hunter's muscle/backup.

There will be suspensions. I saw someone throw out a Strickland-5, Harper-2 estimate. I am not sure Strickland gets 2.5 times the suspension that Harper gets. Harper threw his helmet and dropped fists. That will not be a wrist slap. But Strickland did throw his hardest FB at a guy he has very visible history with (though it was at his but and not at his head). That won't be minor either.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned (not sure if it was here or on the main board) that Strickland was the one who told Posey to stay out of it.

Complete WAG...

Hunter has been wearing his behavior in the '14 playoffs for 3 years, and he needed to get the whole thing off his chest (right or wrong). He needed to let out all his frustration on the symbol of his mental meltdown, namely, Harper. So he told Posey to back off if/when it went down, and Posey respected his wishes. Morse is the team heart, and quite frankly, immensely expendable, so he was Hunter's muscle/backup.

There will be suspensions. I saw someone throw out a Strickland-5, Harper-2 estimate. I am not sure Strickland gets 2.5 times the suspension that Harper gets. Harper threw his helmet and dropped fists. That will not be a wrist slap. But Strickland did throw his hardest FB at a guy he has very visible history with (though it was at his but and not at his head). That won't be minor either.

If that is indeed the case, Strickland needs to come out and say that because Posesy is getting publicly scrutinized by many people who don't have a clue about the situation. Or maybe the Giants clubhouse doesn't care about that stuff and decide to keep it in-house, which would be fine as long as they're tight-knit about it.

Strickland looked like a crazy person out there though. Getting dragged off, nearly carried, by 3 teammates while he's yelling and fighting back. Not a good look.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he was getting carried off, it kinda looked like he was crying. If it was him getting the '14 monkey off his back, I can understand the flow of emotion. But he has to remember, there's no crying in baseball...