• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.27 Rodominator @ Communists

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am facing the fact as I grow older that I am, at heart, a conformist. I don't much like rocking the boat. I honor Kap's decision to do this, but I do not think it will end well, nor will it do much. (Virtue signalling?)

However, I am as sick at heart as anyone (except family members) that we continue to lose lives in this way. How can this keep happening in a "civilized" society?
I don't think it's virtue signaling. He grew up with two parents who were very active in social justice. They were active in the 60s and 70s in demonstrations, etc. It's how he was raised. He's not playing it for effect, I don't think. He's genuine.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be plenty of media outlets that rip him. It cuts both ways. MAGAchuds gotta MAGAchud and Woketarians gotta woketarian. They're all fighting a culture war they can't win.
Yes, there are 2 separate news sources out there. But one side one popped up because the old single side was taken over by one of the narratives. Just look at sports media, as an example. There aren’t two political sides in sports media. Sports media only represents a single side of the narrative. That alienates half of their customer base. I have unfollowed almost all of the Giants beat writers because they tend to post more about politics (opinion and spin, not “news”) than they do about sports. I still follow a few, but only because they are the least annoying of the bunch. There isn’t a single one who represents the other side or stays neutral. Every one is from a single viewpoint.

I am talking Giants specifically here. I knew there are beats in other areas for other teams that are either neutral or form the other side, but not for Bay Area sports.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's virtue signaling. He grew up with two parents who were very active in social justice. They were active in the 60s and 70s in demonstrations, etc. It's how he was raised. He's not playing it for effect, I don't think. He's genuine.
I believe he is genuine. He is a hippie. This is not news.

And if I weren’t already on the fence about the game/team already, I would probably just roll my eyes and watch the game while saying what a JA he is (in a guy at the bar manner, not a legit, heart to heart manner). But with the changes to the game in general, and the changes FZ is making to the team (not saying he isn’t right in his strategy to make a winner, I just don’t want to be a fan of the A’s style of baseball), this is totally removing any enjoyment I had for the game.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the score. Nice going by Kap getting everyone’s head into the game tonight.

Staying focused? That’s for the birds.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there are 2 separate news sources out there. But one side one popped up because the old single side was taken over by one of the narratives. Just look at sports media, as an example. There aren’t two political sides in sports media. Sports media only represents a single side of the narrative. That alienates half of their customer base. I have unfollowed almost all of the Giants beat writers because they tend to post more about politics (opinion and spin, not “news”) than they do about sports. I still follow a few, but only because they are the least annoying of the bunch. There isn’t a single one who represents the other side or stays neutral. Every one is from a single viewpoint.

I am talking Giants specifically here. I knew there are beats in other areas for other teams that are either neutral or form the other side, but not for Bay Area sports.
Well, given the relative education and the geography, that's not really surprising to me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I regret to inform you that the Giants have loaded the bases.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, given the relative education and the geography, that's not really surprising to me.
Without knowing the full context of what you mean by this statement, I could be left to assume that you take the stance that the more educated will obviously bend that way politically. I get that higher education tends to lean that direction but is that a natural outcome of education or a cause and effect of who you hang with (educators have a tremendous impact on their pupils).
Of course, that is assuming something about your statement and I will choose to make the more general assumption that maybe you meant that education in the bay area tends to lean that direction.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am facing the fact as I grow older that I am, at heart, a conformist. I don't much like rocking the boat. I honor Kap's decision to do this, but I do not think it will end well, nor will it do much. (Virtue signalling?)

However, I am as sick at heart as anyone (except family members) that we continue to lose lives in this way. How can this keep happening in a "civilized" society?

Stokes, are you referring to virtue signaling as an in effective means of getting something done or as a mere appearance of caring but not really caring about a situation?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2 things…

1) OMG! Is this serious? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I have a hard time believing it, but ok…

2) Pedo is a whacky looking dude. You know how there are some players who people say just look good in a uniform? Or any uniform would look good on such ‘n such player? Yeah…. They are not talking about Pedo.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus fucking Christ what the hell is going on?

Who the fuck is Tommy Pham?

What the fuck is happening?

Why is my iMac operating so slow?

Why in the hell does adobe acrobat fuck with my machine so much?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok did some research.

Kap sat out the National Anthem. Surely it was predicated by his nickname, "Kap". Shoulda seen it coming*.

A little boy spat over fantasy football as well? lol.

We suddenly suck and this is the shit we're dealing with?

*Good for him. He's not wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf happened with McGee last night?

Kap was so busy concentrating on non-baseball issues that he totally fubar’d that game. I am starting to see why the Phil’s hated this guy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without knowing the full context of what you mean by this statement, I could be left to assume that you take the stance that the more educated will obviously bend that way politically. I get that higher education tends to lean that direction but is that a natural outcome of education or a cause and effect of who you hang with (educators have a tremendous impact on their pupils).
Of course, that is assuming something about your statement and I will choose to make the more general assumption that maybe you meant that education in the bay area tends to lean that direction.
Exactly what I was implying. The more educated you are, the more open minded and less conservative you are. Now, is that chicken or the egg (i.e. liberal educators or byproduct of being exposed to different viewpoints)? Probably some of both.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I was implying. The more educated you are, the more open minded and less conservative you are. Now, is that chicken or the egg (i.e. liberal educators or byproduct of being exposed to different viewpoints)? Probably some of both.
Seeing as professors are more than 90% Democrat or self identified liberal, I would say more former than latter. Conservatives face a solid glass ceiling in academia, and have for decades. Though, I suspect that is partially due to conservatives typically wanting to “do” rather than “teach”, so there are naturally many more liberals who decide to pursue that vocation than conservatives.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as professors are more than 90% Democrat or self identified liberal, I would say more former than latter. Conservatives face a solid glass ceiling in academia, and have for decades. Though, I suspect that is partially due to conservatives typically wanting to “do” rather than “teach”, so there are naturally many more liberals who decide to pursue that vocation than conservatives.
Sure, but that begs the question. What causes professors to be more liberal (read: open minded) than others? Is it the exposure to knowledge or the exposure to open minded teachers themselves. Chicken/egg. I'm not sure where the answer lies, or if it even matters. I think many conservatives view the pursuit of knowledge as a waste of time. Not all, but a large number. The great thing about a well rounded education is that you get to come to your own conclusions.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but that begs the question. What causes professors to be more liberal (read: open minded) than others? Is it the exposure to knowledge or the exposure to open minded teachers themselves. Chicken/egg. I'm not sure where the answer lies, or if it even matters. I think many conservatives view the pursuit of knowledge as a waste of time. Not all, but a large number. The great thing about a well rounded education is that you get to come to your own conclusions.
This is where I tag out. You are clearly trying to antagonize, and I want none of that.

Not overly surprised, tbh

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting discussion about doers and teachers. In general it all seems very straight forward but as an individual who worked within a large NE University system for more than 15 years its not that simple.

There are actually two very different types of educators and or teachers. One is the educator that has worked and been successful in the real world. They are doers who have decided to teach about what they have done. Not many of these educators but those that are there are worth their weight in gold.

Then there is the pure educaror. They have rarely if ever worked in the real world. They are excited about theory and the 'what if' aspects of what can be done. They are your typical visionaries. They see beyond what is 'now'.

But, unlike your doer, they have rarely if ever, failed at 'doing' simply because they rarely live in that arena. A great pure educator is never detered when things don't turn out as planned ... they simlly move on to the next idea.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I tag out. You are clearly trying to antagonize, and I want none of that.

Not overly surprised, tbh
Interesting. I felt I was being pretty neutral, not antagonistic. Sorry if I offended.