• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.22 Young Talent @ Old Geezers

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, no game thread, so I'll create a post game thread. I have a few thoughts/questions about this one.

Why was Panik sat after the day he had yesterday? Its not like Solano could have been any better. Easy to say after his 0 for 4 night but that is not surprising.

Also interesting to see both Belt and Sandoval on the bench. They are two of the team's best hitters. However, it was good to see Austin in there.

Williamson needs to get going on offense soon. Its been about two weeks and his OPS looks awful. I do hope they give him another two weeks. If he hasn't turned it around by then, I'm okay with calling the Mac experiment failed.

I find this article stub on the team's website hilarious: "Jeff Samardzija held the Braves scoreless on one hit with 7 K's outside of a disasterous six-run second inning". Hey, you know, take out the inning he absolutely crapped the mound and Samardzija spun a real gem of a game. Sure, he rebounded to go 6 innings but that 2nd inning still counts.

One last question - when does Holland get his walking papers?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to remember that Mac is not a kid. He is not a prospect. He is 28.

Give him another 2 weeks or so, and jettison him if he does not show signs of life. I am tired of 4A players.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to remember that Mac is not a kid. He is not a prospect. He is 28.

Give him another 2 weeks or so, and jettison him if he does not show signs of life. I am tired of 4A players.
Yup, that was what I was trying to say. I thought he'd do better than this (he typically hit well in the big leagues, in previous seasons, when he got regular playing time) but I'm a firm believer in letting a guy play for a month. Some pull out in those last two weeks (or even last week). Others don't. But a month seems like a good amount of time to see what is truly there. It may still be SSS, but not small enough that it seems knee jerk.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t the fact that the six runs were unearned count?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it was a qs. What about the metric tz is fond of?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically, yes.

But did the error or WP (both Sammy’s fault, btw) add additional feet to those blasts?
I still contend that if the error that lead to unearned runs is the pitcher's, then the runs shouldn't be unearned. The whole idea of the unearned run is to try to reflect the nature of how they were scored, on something outside of the pitcher's control. An error by the pitcher is not outside of his control.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still contend that if the error that lead to unearned runs is the pitcher's, then the runs shouldn't be unearned. The whole idea of the unearned run is to try to reflect the nature of how they were scored, on something outside of the pitcher's control. An error by the pitcher is not outside of his control.
I totally understand your point, but his error was not part of his pitching. And ERA is a pitching stat.

If Bum gives up 3 ER in 6 innings, but also hits an EWS, he doesn’t drop his ERs by 3.

I think your intention is covered in WAR.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t the fact that the six runs were unearned count?
They count to me...dude is a disaster and needs to be cut. He has no trade value. I’d rather see Sewage, Beedung, or Anderson than him.