• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Cowboys

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman looked great on the Cowboys 1st possession. He made 2 tackles and was an impact on the other play.
He made 3 tackles on 3 plays. Guy was a beast. T. Smith was not a mistake. He is exactly what this team needs. Yes he dropped a TD but it was also a good play by the CB. He will open up the passing lanes for Boldin and VD.

I was very excited after the game. I think we will be ok if our D plays like that. Dallas had -4 yards in the 1st half(last series doesn't count we had 3rd and 4ths in there).

Positives:
-1st drive was a good 1st drive.
-Hyde looks ready. Its also nice to see us throwing to the RB.
-Oline Run blocking was awesome.
-Haynes will make this team as a PR /KR and 4th RB.
-Purcell will also make this team. He deserved it and to be honest I think he gets some good playing time. Guy looks good.
-D overall was awesome.
-Special teams looks awesome all around.
-Coaching staff I think overall is doing a nice job.

Negatives:
-Oline pass protection is still not good. They are now maybe Avg to below avg.
-Oline Depth is really bad. Any starter misses any time we are in trouble.
-We still have trouble scoring TD's in the redzone.

Grade: B+

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice pick 6 by Purcell! Armstead and Skov had good pressure up the middle. I feel like Purcell will make this roster. I don't think carrying 8 guys on the D-Line is that crazy. Carradine, Dorsey, Williams, TJE, Dockett, Armstead, Dial and Purcell. Sorry Okoye another year of not making the roster.
I think its time to say project Okoye didn't work out but to give credit I think he finds a team and might get little playing time. So overall 49ers did a good job making him into a football player. Also I don't know if TE makes the team. I think we go with 7. Haynes makes the team and I think we cut Hunter.

Oh yeah that new punter looks good.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its time to say project Okoye didn't work out but to give credit I think he finds a team and might get little playing time. So overall 49ers did a good job making him into a football player. Also I don't know if TE makes the team. I think we go with 7. Haynes makes the team and I think we cut Hunter.

Oh yeah that new punter looks good.

Who is TE?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Desmond Bishop looked really good. He had a sack and almost had another when he did that nice spin move on the RB. At this moment I think it would be Bowman, Wilhoite, Skov and Moody that we keep but I could see us keeping Bishop and cutting one of the others.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Desmond Bishop looked really good. He had a sack and almost had another when he did that nice spin move on the RB. At this moment I think it would be Bowman, Wilhoite, Skov and Moody that we keep but I could see us keeping Bishop and cutting one of the others.
I like Skov but damn he misses tackles. He missed at least 2-3 last night we were lucky we had another guy right there. Wilhoite is hurt so maybe he gets cut plus he got one of the worst ratings last year at MLB. I just Hope moody can be a nice starter for us.

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice game, the young players keep impressing

hopefully reaser hangs onto the starting spot and thomas takes martins very soon

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice game, the young players keep impressing

hopefully reaser hangs onto the starting spot and thomas takes martins very soon

Thomas probably won't take Martin's spot. Thomas fell down the depth chart yesterday. Not sure why he took a step down. Looney struggled at center last night. Might want to try Martin at center and Thomas at RG.

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas probably won't take Martin's spot. Thomas fell down the depth chart yesterday. Not sure why he took a step down. Looney struggled at center last night. Might want to try Martin at center and Thomas at RG.

i found that puzzling as well, hopefully they were just looking at other players. i know one thing about the back up line, there terrible

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over at NN, posted OL grades for the game.

Overall, Pass Block, Run Block

Staley was good. Surprise, Pears was bad. Martin graded out okay. Brandon Thomas not good.

Joe Staley: 1.1 overall, 0.4 pass block, 0.6 run block
Alex Boone: -0.7, 0.2, 0.1, -1.0 penalty
Joe Looney: -0.1, 0.1, -0.2
Marcus Martin: 0.4, -0.9, 1.3 - 1 QB hurry
Erik Pears: -1.4, -1.1, -0.4 - 2 QB hurry
Brandon Thomas: -2.3, -0.6, -1.8 - 1 QB hurry
Andrew Tiller: 1.1, 0.3, 0.7
Trent Brown: 1.8, 0.5, 1.2
Ian Silberman: 1.6, 0.3, 1.2
Jordan Devey: 1.2, -0.6, 1.7
Dillon Farrell: 1.4, 0.4, 0.9
Sean Hooey: -1.2, 0.5, -1.8
Patrick Miller: -2.3, -1.1, -1.3
Justin Renfrow: -2.8, -0.6, -2.3 - 1 sack

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But the passing game -- and the pass protection -- had issues as the 49ers finished with only 50 passing yards. As usual, the problem spots were on the right side of the line where second-year player Marcus Martin is lining up at guard and veteran Erik Pears is playing right tackle.

Last week, another young player, Brandon Thomas, seemed ready to challenge Martin for the starting role. But the 49ers played Thomas at left guard against the Cowboys. The backup right guards were rookie Ian Silberman and Jordan Devey, the player acquired from New England last week in the trade for tight end Asante Cleveland.

“As we were getting him through the process, (we) noticed there was a hitch in his giddeup on his third step,” Tomsula said of Thomas. “So we put him on the right to get that hitch out of the giddeup. It worked really well. We’ve seen him completely moving great, so we wanted to put him back to the left and see how comfortable he was, and it was very good.”

Was wondering why Thomas was playing RG last week, so now we know. Not rushing Thomas into the line-up, but makes sense he would start on the left side. I know he didn't rate well yesterday, but he's still "getting his feet under him".

Getting to Marcus Martin...........just watching the game, didn't think Martin played well at all, but did read he rated ok. On some running plays, thought Martin got blown backwards?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We're hoping Thomas comes on strong and sometime during this season, even start? For me, prefer he continues his development and eventual start, at LG. Cause he could very well be the LT in a few years, so you 'ease him in' on the left side.

IF he is able to start this season at LG, Boone can move back to RG. If he isn't ready to start, not rushing him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're hoping Thomas comes on strong and sometime during this season, even start? For me, prefer he continues his development and eventual start, at LG. Cause he could very well be the LT in a few years, so you 'ease him in' on the left side.

IF he is able to start this season at LG, Boone can move back to RG. If he isn't ready to start, not rushing him.

I think we are all hoping Thomas and Martin excel this year. But Thomas in reality is a rookie this year and Martin is something like 21 years old. It often takes time for young olineman to develop. I am not ready to give up on either one yet. Pears is another story.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i found that puzzling as well, hopefully they were just looking at other players. i know one thing about the back up line, there terrible
yes they are. Any major injury to the Oline we are in trouble. Only upside player is Brown.

Bishop Broke his finger and needs surgery.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are all hoping Thomas and Martin excel this year. But Thomas in reality is a rookie this year and Martin is something like 21 years old. It often takes time for young olineman to develop. I am not ready to give up on either one yet. Pears is another story.
I hate pears but I will say one thing about this oline they can run block. At least they can do something right.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is Marcus Martin starting off at RG, wasn't he a very good Center at USC? Must be to take pressure off him, not having to make line calls?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pears is so bad he makes Adam Snyder look good lol.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling this uptempo offense. It SHOULD help with the clock management issues.