• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Chiefs

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win. We are starting to play our football. D wasn't great today but offense wasn't good and D came up when we needed them. Love this win.
I'm trying not to be pessimistic here but I wouldn't call it a great win. 5 FGs is like back in the 2011 season and I'm really happy that Dawson nailed them all (this time). The 9ers D did enough and some players shined at moments. Gore got his 100 plus and that is the key here really. The running game is being used again after the failed attempt to make this a passing team with Kap at the helm. Truth is that 9ers eeked out a win here thanks to Perrish and that Int. Happy for the win.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying not to be pessimistic here but I wouldn't call it a great win. 5 FGs is like back in the 2011 season and I'm really happy that Dawson nailed them all (this time). The 9ers D did enough and some players shined at moments. Gore got his 100 plus and that is the key here really. The running game is being used again after the failed attempt to make this a passing team with Kap at the helm. Truth is that 9ers eeked out a win here thanks to Perrish and that Int. Happy for the win.

We do need to punch it in for a TD more often, but at least we controlled that game by playing our style of football. Even if Cox doesn't get that INT, the Chiefs would've have a tough time getting into the end zone against our rested D and having no timeouts. Also, it's such a relief to not lose to Alex Smith and the Chiefs, that it feels like a great win.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need to punch it in for a TD more often, but at least we controlled that game by playing our style of football. Even if Cox doesn't get that INT, the Chiefs would've have a tough time getting into the end zone against our rested D and having no timeouts. Also, it's such a relief to not lose to Alex Smith and the Chiefs, that it feels like a great win.
I do agree with you but just looking at some stats here for this game: 9ers: Third down eff. 6/16 37% .Red zone eff. 1/4 25%,Goal to go 1/2 50%. The Chiefs: Third down eff. 6/11 54%,Red zone eff. 1/1 100%, Goal to go 1/1100%. The 9ers need to work on some things to beat the elites....no?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with you but just looking at some stats here for this game: 9ers: Third down eff. 6/16 37% .Red zone eff. 1/4 25%,Goal to go 1/2 50%. The Chiefs: Third down eff. 6/11 54%,Red zone eff. 1/1 100%, Goal to go 1/1100%. The 9ers need to work on some things to beat the elites....no?

The team is definitely a work in progress. That much was clear when we started 1-2. Some would argue it was evident during the preseason. All I can ask as a fan is that they continue to go in the right direction, which seems to be happening now except for all the Jim Harbaugh talk. For some reason, this team very much feels like a college team that needs to grow as the season goes along in order to be the team they need to be at the end of the season.

The silver lining is that though we are nowhere near our peak, we were still able to beat teams who have looked good so far this season. Dallas and Philly have only lost to us, and the Chiefs were coming off of demolishing the Patriots before they lost to us.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is definitely a work in progress. That much was clear when we started 1-2. Some would argue it was evident during the preseason. All I can ask as a fan is that they continue to go in the right direction, which seems to be happening now except for all the Jim Harbaugh talk. For some reason, this team very much feels like a college team that needs to grow as the season goes along in order to be the team they need to be at the end of the season.

The silver lining is that though we are nowhere near our peak, we were still able to beat teams who have looked good so far this season. Dallas and Philly have only lost to us, and the Chiefs were coming off of demolishing the Patriots before they lost to us.
As a 9er fan beginning in the '70s I can say that the best teams have always had a bit of a rough start. Onwards and upwards....one game at a time. :suds:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good solid team win. I enjoyed watching this game again from the different perspective - mostly due to the win. The running game obviously stood out, with Gore and Hyde complementing each other quite well. I really like how similar they are, and the constant pounding this team can do, especially when we get the full O-line running again. I shouldn't be amazed at how Frank just keeps rolling, but it's a treat - as Harbaugh has said about Justin Smith - the dude has no expiration date on him. The O-line play, at least in the running department, reminded me of the unit from a couple of years ago. Kilgore deserves a ton of praise for the way he handled Dontari Poe. Pass protection was still just average however, but Boone still continues to be sub-par guarding his QB.

Another impressive game defensively. Wilhoite with another strong performance, and it makes me comfortable with the news that Bowman may be back later than expected. (although he has not suffered any setback) Willis was excellent as always. Bethea came through again. Ian Williams makes me laugh everytime I hear the announcers talk about how we are missing Glen Dorsey.....Williams is back to where I think he once was. In the end, it was the same old Alex Smith. Lots of little, and little that doesn't add up to a lot in the end. The backfield is starting to become more cohesive. Could really be something when Brock, Aldon and Bowman return.

I saw a lot of the ups and downs with Kaepernick. Making multiple reads, going through progressions on one throw, staring down guys and failing to look off defenders the next. Several mental mistakes. He's still young, but he's not getting any younger. Both Roman and Fangio deserve some ups for their game plans this week, as well as Special Teams. Penalties, for once, weren't a major factor.

On to the Rams.