• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Arizona - Pre Game Thread

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a question partly off topic partly on topic.... The last two drafts there have been about a dozen CB's that some here wanted to draft... who of those CB's do the draftnicks wish we would have drafted to shore up the CB position?

P.S. What round and which player would the Niners not have drafted.
Peters was the one I wanted this year. I knew he would be good. To be Honest most of those plays were on the Safety's.

Yes 3 WRs this week will be tough. Got to watch out for Brown. That kid is quick.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this game will say more about the Cards than us. They're 2-0 but those 2 wins likely came over teams that won't win half their games and end the season with a bottom tier defense. We should be a much more challenging match for them. Doesn't mean we will win but I think we're much better than the Bears or Saints are right now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been my concern about Pears from the start. We had no back up plan. He has no one to fight off. I don't see our 7th rd pick Brown taking the spot any time soon. he isn't ready. Pears is a so so run blocker and ok in pass protection against a non speed rusher. His problem is Speed. We play a lot of teams that have a speed rusher. He will hurt us the rest of the year.

There was concern in training camp when the team started playing musical chairs with the starting lineup trying every combination under the sun. None of the rookie or young guys played well enough to take a starting job so we are stuck with Pears.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona may not have played anyone yet, but if our oline doesn't play better this week and can't get any pressure on Palmer, we could get beaten handily this week although not as bad as last week. Arizona is going to try and bring the pressure and the oline needs to hold. We can't lose the battle in the trenches again.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona may not have played anyone yet, but if our oline doesn't play better this week and can't get any pressure on Palmer, we could get beaten handily this week although not as bad as last week. Arizona is going to try and bring the pressure and the oline needs to hold. We can't lose the battle in the trenches again.
If we can get any pressure on Palmer we will be fine. He is a statue back there. 2 biggest things we need to happen 1)Oline has to play better, 2)get pressure on Palmer. Throw 1 more thing in we need to run the ball.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get any pressure on Palmer we will be fine. He is a statue back there. 2 biggest things we need to happen 1)Oline has to play better, 2)get pressure on Palmer. Throw 1 more thing in we need to run the ball.

Those are the two big questions. I could also see AZ stacking the box and daring us to pass which will make running the ball harder if we can't make them pay for doing so.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who really cares what this guy has to say. Kap was throwing to 2nd and 3rd options this year when he's had time to throw. I don't know what downs those were and don't care enough to find out. Just go out there and win.

He definitely wasn't just taking off this past week. Oh, he did a couple times when they got quick pressure (and most of those ended up in sacks, anyway), but he threw repeatedly on third down, often with success.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have us losing this one.

When healthy, I think Palmer has been way under-estimated. The way our pass rush and secondary looked last week, I think Palmer will have a field day against us.

Hopefully it's not as bad as last week, and hopefully I'm wrong.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have us losing this one.

When healthy, I think Palmer has been way under-estimated. The way our pass rush and secondary looked last week, I think Palmer will have a field day against us.

Hopefully it's not as bad as last week, and hopefully I'm wrong.

LOL, I think almost everyone has us losing this one. I agree with you. Palmer is a good QB. He has been in some crappy situations in Oakland and Cincy. The big issue for him is staying healthy. There was a stat thrown out that Palmer is something like 8-2 in his last 10 starts. Something like that.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer is a good QB but he cant finish a season. He is always just 1 hit away from being gone. Yes u can say that about most but his track record is not good. Lets be honest here Arizona has a lot of weapons. This will be a tough game for us. That is why I think this game will tell us where we stand this year. A win or Close loss we should be ok, another blow out and we are in trouble. Players will start not to buy into the coaching staff. Back to back blow outs is not a good look.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little side Note:

RG Jordan Devey has allowed 9 QB pressures, third-most among NFL guards, per @PFF_Jeff. Also Erik Pears is 3rd-worst run blocking OT

This is not good. I thought was a decent run blocker. If he isn't good at anything he cant start. Just start Brown.
Hard to win games with 2 really bad Olinemen. Im surprise Martin isn't up there. He is in the bottom half of centers.

Even staley has fallen off. He is not ranked in the Top 10 of LT's. Boone has been our best lineman

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little side Note:

RG Jordan Devey has allowed 9 QB pressures, third-most among NFL guards, per @PFF_Jeff. Also Erik Pears is 3rd-worst run blocking OT

This is not good. I thought was a decent run blocker. If he isn't good at anything he cant start. Just start Brown.
Hard to win games with 2 really bad Olinemen. Im surprise Martin isn't up there. He is in the bottom half of centers.

Even staley has fallen off. He is not ranked in the Top 10 of LT's. Boone has been our best lineman
Our oline is ranked dead last in the league in pass blocking efficiency. I am sure that is due to the right side of the line. I think Martin's struggles at Center has affected the Staley and Boone to a point. Martin has room for growth. I think we've seen the best we are going to get from Pears

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our oline is ranked dead last in the league in pass blocking efficiency. I am sure that is due to the right side of the line. I think Martin's struggles at Center has affected the Staley and Boone to a point. Martin has room for growth. I think we've seen the best we are going to get from Pears
That is why I rather have Brown play just because we know he will get better with experience. Pears is what he is.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 point underdogs like last week. Hope to keep it close this time or even better, just win.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this game will say more about the Cards than us. They're 2-0 but those 2 wins likely came over teams that won't win half their games and end the season with a bottom tier defense. We should be a much more challenging match for them. Doesn't mean we will win but I think we're much better than the Bears or Saints are right now.
Like we were for Pittsburgh? I have a feeling AZ will roll right over us.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like we were for Pittsburgh? I have a feeling AZ will roll right over us.

No there is a big different in expectations when you have to travel cross country with 6 days between games to play a team that's been waiting at home with 10 days rest. This game is more on equal grounds with only advantage being the Cards are at home. The Steelers had the football Gods just hand them a win via us on a silver platter last weekend. If they had lost that game their entire coaching staff likely should have been fired on the spot.

It's crazy how 1 bad game that should have been a bad game can make you suddenly forget how dominate we were over the Vikings on both sides of the ball. You can't say the Vikings are a bad team either when they went on to win last week over Detroit and Peterson is apparently not washed up either. So we know the Defense and Offensive Line can play much better than they showed last week.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there is a big different in expectations when you have to travel cross country with 6 days between games to play a team that's been waiting at home with 10 days rest. This game is more on equal grounds with only advantage being the Cards are at home. The Steelers had the football Gods just hand them a win via us on a silver platter last weekend. If they had lost that game their entire coaching staff likely should have been fired on the spot.

It's crazy how 1 bad game that should have been a bad game can make you suddenly forget how dominate we were over the Vikings on both sides of the ball. You can't say the Vikings are a bad team either when they went on to win last week over Detroit and Peterson is apparently not washed up either. So we know the Defense and Offensive Line can play much better than they showed last week.
Agree definitely with the first part but not the second. AZ has an added advantage in that they a re much better team than the 49ers. As for your Vikings-Steelers game comparison you could say exactly the opposite as well. One good game can make you forget just how bad you really are.

We'll get a good picture of where we stand after tomorrow's game I think.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the 6 days thing was an issue with the last game, I don't think it's the biggest issue.

Our pass rush was not getting there and our secondary was not good enough to handle PIT's receivers. I think we're going to have a very difficult time with good passing teams, which is what I think Arizona is.