• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS @ SAINTS 11/25/12

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know it's a business, but I can't help but feel a little bad for Alex if it turns out like that. I've always rooted for him.

Then again, I'm sure last year was a blast, he's got a young family and all the money he'll ever need.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If benched quarterback Alex Smith is on the 49ers' roster as of April 1, 2013, his full base salary of $7.5 million for next season will be guaranteed.

Barring a stretch-run faceplant by Colin Kaepernick, don't expect to see Smith back with the Niners unless he's willing to take a massive pay cut and accept a backup role. (And that is highly unlikely.) If the 49ers cut Smith before April 1, they would owe him only $1 million for 2013. Smith is also due a $1 million roster bonus in March. They'll probably pink-slip him right before that.

Oh, that does make him pretty much untradeable. I didn't know they could write contracts up like that, I thought the only way a veteran's entire season's salary could be guaranteed was if he was on the opening day roster.

I had imagined the 49ers could trade him because if he won the job with his new team that is an OK paycheck for a starter, but if he didn't win the job by the end of camp they could cut him without taking a financial hit.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope Jenkins is active today. I thought Kap and him had a little bit of a connection in the offseason and it would be great to have another weapon. Make Ginn inactive and put Williams back there.

I actually rather see LMJ active since he and CK were working well together in the preseason and I think he would cause some confusion to the Saint's D.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually rather see LMJ active since he and CK were working well together in the preseason and I think he would cause some confusion to the Saint's D.

I would be happy with either or. I just want to see them play!

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
49ers inactives: Tolzien, Jenkins, James, Robinson, Tukuafu, Looney, I. Williams

Kind of surprised by the Tukuafu one. He did well from what I saw last week. Maybe he's dinged up. I didn't expect Jacobs to be active, but I'd be surprised if he sees more than goal line work.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/23/3tfo-49ers-saints-week-12/

Only a couple of highlights from the piece:

The last time these two teams met the 49ers pressured Brees on a third of his 67 drop-backs.

---

The Aldon-Bushrod matchup will be fascinating to watch, as the 49er has gotten many of his 43 QB disruptions via inside or bull rushes; those types of power moves have been successful against Bushrod.

----

Look for the 49ers to frequently use stunts up front, something they run effectively and something the Saints have struggled to pick up this season, particularly on the left side of the line.

-----

Conversely, the Saints have been awful defending the run, having given up 5.1 yards per carry with 87 missed tackles. They’ve been particularly woeful on first down, allowing 6.1 YPC, though interestingly less than 3.7 through the left side A- and B-gaps. This is likely in large part due to the presence of Broderick Bunkley, who plays most of his snaps at DRT and (due to lack of pass rushing ability) often leaves the field after first down. On Sunday, expect Bunkley to be on the field more often, with the 49ers’ run-based offense and frequent use of heavy-personnel sets.

-----------

The New Orleans defense lines up most often in nickel (41% of the time) and dime packages (24% of their snaps); both numbers well above league average. But on Sunday, we’ll likely see the Saints in their base 4-3 most often, given the 49ers’ personnel and formation tendencies. San Francisco lines up roughly 60% of the time in heavy sets with two backs, two tight ends or both; in fact, they line up on 23% of their snaps with ‘22’ personnel. Against the Saints, however, they may want to spread the field with more three-wide sets — which they are running far less often than the league average — as the Saints are allowing 5 yards per carry in nickel and over 8 in dime. Against more predictable running formations, the New Orleans defense has been surprisingly strong; they’ve allowed just 2.0 YPC when opponents use ‘22’ personnel.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jacobs being active reeks of Harbaugh throwing something at the Saint's they haven't seen yet to give them an edge.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If benched quarterback Alex Smith is on the 49ers' roster as of April 1, 2013, his full base salary of $7.5 million for next season will be guaranteed.

Barring a stretch-run faceplant by Colin Kaepernick, don't expect to see Smith back with the Niners unless he's willing to take a massive pay cut and accept a backup role. (And that is highly unlikely.) If the 49ers cut Smith before April 1, they would owe him only $1 million for 2013. Smith is also due a $1 million roster bonus in March. They'll probably pink-slip him right before that.

This deserves a thread on its own!

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling pretty good before this game, slightly nervous to find out of keap can be consistent, but i feel good, if my superstitions are as powerful as i think, then i think we'll be ready.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those looking for a link, we're the GOTW...you sure you don't get it on TV?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets go! I think Kap will play well and our defense will get nasty!

at least thats what i'm hoping for