• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers safety Eric Reid considering retirement

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Eric Reid has considered retiring because of concussions | ProFootballTalk

49ers’ Eric Reid has considered retiring because of concussions

The 49ers have lost 24-year-old Chris Borland and 25-year-old Anthony Davis to surprise retirements this season, with both players citing concussions as one of the reasons for walking away. And now an even younger 49ers player is saying he has considered walking away as well.

Eric Reid, the 49ers’ 23-year-old safety, told the San Francisco Chronicle that although he does plan to play this year, he has given thought to retiring because he has already suffered three concussions in his first two NFL seasons.

I will continue to evaluate my own situation. If I have another concussion and I don’t feel like I can play any more, then I won’t. If I [have another concussion], and if I feel that I still can play, then I will. It’s just a case-by-case basis,” Reid said. “I know it’s a huge deal right now in the NFL and everything is being put under a microscope, but that’s how every injury is. It could be a dislocated shoulder. You evaluate your situation and see if you’re healthy enough to still play.”

Reid missed the final game of last season because of a concussion. He says he now feels fully recovered, but he is also seeking more medical opinions.

“There is a doctor that I’m looking further into and I may end up going to see,” Reid said. “Like I said, right now I’ve evaluated my situation and I feel comfortable playing.”

The 49ers, who have lost Patrick Willis and Justin Smith to retirements in addition to Borland and Davis, have to hope that Reid continues to feel comfortable playing.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, I was hearing speculation about Reid being next, but I thought that was sarcasm...

What a nightmare for Niners fans.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahhahaha

has any other team lost more guys to premature retirement in one season?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahhahaha

has any other team lost more guys to premature retirement in one season?

NFL fans who don't like the 49er's shouldn't laugh too loud. It will happen to every team soon enough.

It is interesting that it is almost all happening in SF right now. It would be interesting to know what happened in that locker room that all the guys on that squad are so keyed in on the idea.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL fans who don't like the 49er's shouldn't laugh too loud. It will happen to every team soon enough.
oh, its a growing trend for sure. you remember napoloen kauffman quitting the raiders in his prime?
he wanted to be a minister tho.

concussion fears are going to be the end of the NFL.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
concussion fears are going to be the end of the NFL.

No. There are always going to be a bunch of players willing to suffer concussion after concussion to play football.

Look at Welker in NE this year. No way that guy should be playing. But there he is.

Remember Austin Collie from the Colts? That guys is up in the CFL right now trying to prove his concussion problems are behind him and that he deserves another shot in the NFL.

The only way concussion end the NFL is if they stopped paying players millions of dollars to play a game. And that aint going to happen.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has another team fallen from grace in general this fast? This is really unbelievable.

Nothing will match the fall of the 2002 Oakland Raiders. Went from a team in the SB to a laughing stock of the NFL for the next decade+.

SF is going to have a Dewey defeats Truman moment later this year IMO. NFL offseasons are never as good or bad as they look during the offseason. Still a lot of talent on that squad.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. There are always going to be a bunch of players willing to suffer concussion after concussion to play football.

Look at Welker in NE this year. No way that guy should be playing. But there he is.

Remember Austin Collie from the Colts? That guys is up in the CFL right now trying to prove his concussion problems are behind him and that he deserves another shot in the NFL.

The only way concussion end the NFL is if they stopped paying players millions of dollars to play a game. And that aint going to happen.
what do you mean welker in NE?

he came for a visit for a charity he has. hes not a patriot.

hes probably retiring.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hes probably retiring.

Hmm. I thought he was going to sign with the Pat's. One of the threads here at the hoop has lead me astray!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hes probably retiring.

I think the point is that Welker is doing everything he can to stay employed in the NFL, He might not be able to say his ABC's anymore but damn it he wants that nfl money!

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hes probably retiring.
I bet he will keep trying for a team. If he doesn't make a team, he'll probably do the whole Ray Allen thing of "Oh, I want to sign for a contender". I still see some team taking a chance on him this year, but if he doesn't have a good season, this will be his last year.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point is that Welker is doing everything he can to stay employed in the NFL, He might not be able to say his ABC's anymore but damn it he wants that nfl money!

I would happily trade 10-20 years off the backend of my life for an NFL contract.

....and I'm almost 40 (which means I would only have a decade or so left).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Eric Reid has considered retiring because of concussions | ProFootballTalk

49ers’ Eric Reid has considered retiring because of concussions

The 49ers have lost 24-year-old Chris Borland and 25-year-old Anthony Davis to surprise retirements this season, with both players citing concussions as one of the reasons for walking away. And now an even younger 49ers player is saying he has considered walking away as well.

Eric Reid, the 49ers’ 23-year-old safety, told the San Francisco Chronicle that although he does plan to play this year, he has given thought to retiring because he has already suffered three concussions in his first two NFL seasons.

I will continue to evaluate my own situation. If I have another concussion and I don’t feel like I can play any more, then I won’t. If I [have another concussion], and if I feel that I still can play, then I will. It’s just a case-by-case basis,” Reid said. “I know it’s a huge deal right now in the NFL and everything is being put under a microscope, but that’s how every injury is. It could be a dislocated shoulder. You evaluate your situation and see if you’re healthy enough to still play.”

Reid missed the final game of last season because of a concussion. He says he now feels fully recovered, but he is also seeking more medical opinions.

“There is a doctor that I’m looking further into and I may end up going to see,” Reid said. “Like I said, right now I’ve evaluated my situation and I feel comfortable playing.”

The 49ers, who have lost Patrick Willis and Justin Smith to retirements in addition to Borland and Davis, have to hope that Reid continues to feel comfortable playing.
For sure Reid is likely to be next to retire if he has one more concussion. Probably shouldn't wait for the next one.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been somewhat defiant in trying to explain what he meant, meaning that every major injury has to be evaluated after the rehab in order to determine if he is well enough to continue. He seemed to marginalize by his tone in comparing the two.