• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers expected to receive 3 compensatory picks

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I share the same disappointment - but more for selfish rather than tactical reasons. It seems Harbaugh, when he can, likes to take his time with players and give them a strong development period.

It is entirely possible that for any other HC Jenkins would likely have seen the field already. I think his absence from the field is more the product of environment than talent. We'll get at least a glimpse into that Sunday.

I'm still somewhat optimistic about Jenkins. I agree that Harbaugh doesn't seem to love rushing young guys into the lineup, and I think Jenkins has some very good physical tools and is a very smooth athlete.

I'd love a receiver with some size, but given two WRs in the first round in a four-year period, I'd prefer not to keep throwing very high picks at the spot right now. Especially as our TE is a guy who can threaten from anywhere on the field, when he shows up in games.

Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving your best CB to a new position, when he's 24 years old, is not a way to improve the secondary. We improve the secondary's coverage skills by replacing Whitner, not by moving our best CB to safety and replacing him with a rookie.

It would also likely negatively affect the secondary in that we would be losing to atom bombs at safety. Culliver is never going to hit like Goldson. He's a CB. Leave him there.

Some would argue that Culliver was our best cb last season as a rookie. Point is that there are some good rookies coming in the draft that will make good cb's too, Cully WAS a 3rd round pick that people thought was drafted too high.

At least we agree on Whitner though.

I also agree with you that Culliver won't ever hit like Goldson, he'll hit just fine though. Goldson's atom bomb mentality hurts us at times too. Remeber the Championship game, he caused two dropped picks with his style. We win that game otherwise, even before a Williams muff (or two). I forgot which game this season where he did something dumb to get 15 yds, then last game when Bradford was clearly sliding, he launches at him, in the final drive.

I don't like him for what I do like about him, if that makes sense.

2/3 round impact cb's Jordan Poyer, maybe Amerson, maybe Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Justin Gilbert, Logan Ryan, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Bennett Jackson to name a few.

I respect your opinion though, I just think it's too safe.:hand:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still somewhat optimistic about Jenkins. I agree that Harbaugh doesn't seem to love rushing young guys into the lineup, and I think Jenkins has some very good physical tools and is a very smooth athlete.

I'd love a receiver with some size, but given two WRs in the first round in a four-year period, I'd prefer not to keep throwing very high picks at the spot right now. Especially as our TE is a guy who can threaten from anywhere on the field, when he shows up in games.

I would like a "game-breaker" type WR as well - Crabtree & Manningham are good "play-makers" but neither are "game-breakers". Will Jenkins be that guy? Nobody knows.

However, if he can rise just to the level of Crabtree & Manningham then those three along with Williams and we will be able to create some decent mismatches vs. most nickels.

Regardless, I think we are still going to remain a rush to set-up the pass type of team even with Kap; thus, I agree spending anymore 1st round cash on a WR is perhaps not the best draft strategy until we find out what we have with Jenkins.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like a "game-breaker" type WR as well - Crabtree & Manningham are good "play-makers" but neither are "game-breakers". Will Jenkins be that guy? Nobody knows.

However, if he can rise just to the level of Crabtree & Manningham then those three along with Williams and we will be able to create some decent mismatches vs. most nickels.

Regardless, I think we are still going to remain a rush to set-up the pass type of team even with Kap; thus, I agree spending anymore 1st round cash on a WR is perhaps not the best draft strategy until we find out what we have with Jenkins.

There is a chance that Williams won't play next season, depending on his contract he might never wear a Niners jersey again.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance that Williams won't play next season, depending on his contract he might never wear a Niners jersey again.

Worst case, Williams is 100% by the bye in '13 - best case is he ready by TC. Considering his contract and depending what Ginn (and now Jenkins) does from here to the end. I am not seeing any reason (other than injury) that Williams is not in a 49er uniform next season.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some would argue that Culliver was our best cb last season as a rookie. Point is that there are some good rookies coming in the draft that will make good cb's too, Cully WAS a 3rd round pick that people thought was drafted too high.

I also agree with you that Culliver won't ever hit like Goldson, he'll hit just fine though. Goldson's atom bomb mentality hurts us at times too. Remeber the Championship game, he caused two dropped picks with his style. We win that game otherwise, even before a Williams muff (or two). I forgot which game this season where he did something dumb to get 15 yds, then last game when Bradford was clearly sliding, he launches at him, in the final drive.

2/3 round impact cb's Jordan Poyer, maybe Amerson, maybe Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Justin Gilbert, Logan Ryan, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Bennett Jackson to name a few.

I forgot to add Honey Badger to the list, you can't forget the talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KBPaoS6odk

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case, Williams is 100% by the bye in '13 - best case is he ready by TC. Considering his contract and depending what Ginn (and now Jenkins) does from here to the end. I am not seeing any reason (other than injury) that Williams is not in a 49er uniform next season.

That will never happen! By the last part of 13 Williams will probably be an afterthought. After that he's a ufa. His time as a Niner may be over, friend.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will never happen! By the last part of 13 Williams will probably be an afterthought. After that he's a ufa. His time as a Niner may be over, friend.

How serious is his injury?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm sorry, I can't support the idea of making this team worse at two positions next year. Culliver will not be as good as Goldson at FS, and a rookie won't be as good of a CB as Cully is now.

I'm also strongly against the idea of moving someone from a position he is doing very well at and putting him at a position he can be good at. It doesn't make sense.

Would you be in favour of cutting Goodwin, putting Iupati at C and drafting a guard?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
unless your Adrian Peterson, it normally takes a year to play again, another year to be all the way back.

they can be sped up, then of course you risk other injuries.

ACL Tear Surgery Rehab - How Long Does ACL Tear Rehab Take

That article is 4.5 years old. The cases they cite are going to be even older. There have been advances made in medical technology that has changed this. Derek Rose is looking at playing next month. Adrian Peterson started this season.

Also, the article says it's 7-9 months for rehab. Williams tore his ACL in late November. That puts his return in the June to August range. There is no reason to not expect him to be back at some point next year.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, I can't support the idea of making this team worse at two positions next year. Culliver will not be as good as Goldson at FS, and a rookie won't be as good of a CB as Cully is now.

I'm also strongly against the idea of moving someone from a position he is doing very well at and putting him at a position he can be good at. It doesn't make sense.

Would you be in favour of cutting Goodwin, putting Iupati at C and drafting a guard?

Come on Mac, you know I couldn't support that, Iupati never even played c in college. I would support it if he had been a talented c before, then we drafted another talented lg. Culliver, some say was a better fs at SC before filling in at cb for season. If I remember correctly, the Niners were the only team that saw him as a cb in the draft.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless your Adrian Peterson, it normally takes a year to play again, another year to be all the way back.

they can be sped up, then of course you risk other injuries.

ACL Tear Surgery Rehab - How Long Does ACL Tear Rehab Take

I think this is a case where either of us could be correct - I'm sticking with my non-MD prognosis as I suspect you will stick with your non-MD prognosis. We'll pick this up in 8-12 months.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Come on Mac, you know I couldn't support that, Iupati never even played c in college. I would support it if he had been a talented c before, then we drafted another talented lg. Culliver, some say was a better fs at SC before filling in at cb for season. If I remember correctly, the Niners were the only team that saw him as a cb in the draft.

I don't care where he played in college. Culliver is playing very well at CB. You want to move him from that spot and draft someone that MIGHT be able to play as well. What your plan boils down to is a new starting safety and a new CB with the hopes that BOTH can be as good as the guy they're replacing.

This is fine if there is no way to retain both current players, or if they're mediocre players. But we have a very good FS, and a young, up and coming CB who is having the best season at the position on the team.

You want to replace them both? Doesn't it make more sense to leave Culliver at CB and find a new FS (assuming we don't keep Goldson)?

You would also be going into next year with two rookies playing top 5 spots in the secondary, with a brand new starting FS who hasn't played there in the NFL.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a case where either of us could be correct - I'm sticking with my non-MD prognosis as I suspect you will stick with your non-MD prognosis. We'll pick this up in 8-12 months.

agreed

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care where he played in college. Culliver is playing very well at CB. You want to move him from that spot and draft someone that MIGHT be able to play as well. What your plan boils down to is a new starting safety and a new CB with the hopes that BOTH can be as good as the guy they're replacing.

This is fine if there is no way to retain both current players, or if they're mediocre players. But we have a very good FS, and a young, up and coming CB who is having the best season at the position on the team.

You want to replace them both? Doesn't it make more sense to leave Culliver at CB and find a new FS (assuming we don't keep Goldson)?

You would also be going into next year with two rookies playing top 5 spots in the secondary, with a brand new starting FS who hasn't played there in the NFL.

It would make sense, unless they were able to draft a player like Poyer, who I think would make a better cb than Culliver. Either way, I would like a more under control, better coverage fs in there. The big reason for me making a case for Culliver at fs is so there wouldn't be two rookies at safety (assuming Whitner gets replaced).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would make sense, unless they were able to draft a player like Poyer, who I think would make a better cb than Culliver. Either way, I would like a more under control, better coverage fs in there. The big reason for me making a case for Culliver at fs is so there wouldn't be two rookies at safety (assuming Whitner gets replaced).

It's still 2 guys with no experience at safety in our defense playing there, with a rookie CB as well.