• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers expected to receive 3 compensatory picks

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we'll have plenty of needs. Let's see, ss (Whitner sucks), fs (unless Culliver moves here), cb (especially if Cully goes to fs), de, te, c, olb, KICKER (Dustin Hopkins hopefully), nt and some more st talent wouldn't hurt one bit.

I'm personally hoping we move Cully to fs, draft T.J. McDonald to play ss, cut Whitner, draft a cb, olb and te within those first 3 rounds, as long as they're a variation of bpa and need of course.

:popsdance:

We have needs at 6 of 11 spots on defense? Is our defense that bad?

Moving Cully to FS is a mistake. He is the best CB on the team right now.

FS is not a need if we (smartly) keep Goldson. Whitner I'm indifferent towards. OLB is pretty low on the needs list. We have two very good OLBs starting right now. We need depth there (depending on Johnson), but it's far from a big need.

The only real need on defense right now is NT.

On offense we could use an elite WR, and probably a WR period given Moss' and Ginn's contract status and Williams' ankle.

But outside of that I don't know that there are "needs."

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FS is not a need if we (smartly) keep Goldson. Whitner I'm indifferent towards. OLB is pretty low on the needs list. We have two very good OLBs starting right now. We need depth there (depending on Johnson), but it's far from a big need.

On offense we could use an elite WR, and probably a WR period given Moss' and Ginn's contract status and Williams' ankle.

I agree. I would love for Justin Hunter to drop to us, but i doubt it.

It's going to be tough for most of the rookies to make the team. I think it would be smart for us to try to trade back and gain future draft picks. Otherwise most of these picks will be wasted.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No the d isn't that bad, it's actually very good. I just think adding depth on d is a need. I also would rather see Goldson walk if moving Cully to fs is an option to them. Regardless of what happens at fs though, I see Whitner as the weakest link of our defense and should be replaced.

I think we're playing with fire is we don't get somebody groomed behind Cowboy and another olb, we're a couple of injuries away from disaster.

I just listed what I'd like to see addressed early, this teams functions with defense.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No the d isn't that bad, it's actually very good. I just think adding depth on d is a need. I also would rather see Goldson walk if moving Cully to fs is an option to them. Regardless of what happens at fs though, I see Whitner as the weakest link of our defense and should be replaced.

I think we're playing with fire is we don't get somebody groomed behind Cowboy and another olb, we're a couple of injuries away from disaster.

I just listed what I'd like to see addressed early, this teams functions with defense.

I think you're making the defense weaker at two positions if you move Cully to safety and look to replace him in the draft. Goldson has been fantastic this year, and Cully is the best CB on the team in nearly every statistical measure. No one would have been calling to move Brooks or Aldon to ILB and let Bowman go before he re-upped.

We do need depth, but it's hard to call second and third teamers "need."

The only real "need" we have, IMO, is at WR. We need to add a player that can be a game breaker. As good as Crabtree has been this year, I don't see him as a potential elite WR. He's a fantastic possession/move the chains guys, but he's not a guy that will take the top of the defense, nor is he a guy who can take a short pass to the house (he can apparently take any short pass beyond the first down marker though).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you're making the defense weaker at two positions if you move Cully to safety and look to replace him in the draft. Goldson has been fantastic this year, and Cully is the best CB on the team in nearly every statistical measure. No one would have been calling to move Brooks or Aldon to ILB and let Bowman go before he re-upped.

We do need depth, but it's hard to call second and third teamers "need."

The only real "need" we have, IMO, is at WR. We need to add a player that can be a game breaker. As good as Crabtree has been this year, I don't see him as a potential elite WR. He's a fantastic possession/move the chains guys, but he's not a guy that will take the top of the defense, nor is he a guy who can take a short pass to the house (he can apparently take any short pass beyond the first down marker though).

I know Jenkins has been a disappointment to date, but I'm not ready to give up on him at this point. He's supposed to be our game breaker. I don't like using another high pick on the position at this point unless we're sure he's not going to pan out. That would be pretty disappointing....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we'll have plenty of needs. Let's see, ss (Whitner sucks), fs (unless Culliver moves here), cb (especially if Cully goes to fs), de, te, c, olb, KICKER (Dustin Hopkins hopefully), nt and some more st talent wouldn't hurt one bit.

I'm personally hoping we move Cully to fs, draft T.J. McDonald to play ss, cut Whitner, draft a cb, olb and te within those first 3 rounds, as long as they're a variation of bpa and need of course.

:popsdance:

RE: this post, I tend to agree with Imac. First, Culliver has to stay at CB right now. He's been very good, and is only getting better. Why move him? I think both safeties have played well this year. Whitner has been phenomenal in the run game. Not as sharp vs. the pass, but we have allowed very few deep passing plays this year, and that's largely due to the play of our safeties. We'll have to see what happens with Goldson. If he leaves, that position obviously becomes more pressing. And NT is a spot we should look into.

At the other positions you mention, we only need depth. If that. I don't see the need at TE. Davis is still a very good player, even though he's kind of fallen off the map lately. And I think Walker returns. He's not reliable enough as a pass catcher for other teams to make a strong move for him, and not big enough for many teams to want him as a blocker. He's a good fit for what we try to do, but probably not a very good fit for many other teams. And as Imac mentioned, we have two very good starting OLBs. We need some quality depth on D, but we're in pretty good shape on the whole IMO.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: this post, I tend to agree with Imac. First, Culliver has to stay at CB right now. He's been very good, and is only getting better. Why move him? I think both safeties have played well this year. Whitner has been phenomenal in the run game. Not as sharp vs. the pass, but we have allowed very few deep passing plays this year, and that's largely due to the play of our safeties. We'll have to see what happens with Goldson. If he leaves, that position obviously becomes more pressing. And NT is a spot we should look into.

At the other positions you mention, we only need depth. If that. I don't see the need at TE. Davis is still a very good player, even though he's kind of fallen off the map lately. And I think Walker returns. He's not reliable enough as a pass catcher for other teams to make a strong move for him, and not big enough for many teams to want him as a blocker. He's a good fit for what we try to do, but probably not a very good fit for many other teams. And as Imac mentioned, we have two very good starting OLBs. We need some quality depth on D, but we're in pretty good shape on the whole IMO.

True, we are in good shape, FOR NOW.
First off, the te "need" that I speak of is only to replace Walker. I don't really feel like going into depth on him, we've all seen.

The only point I'm making about depth is that if Aldon or Brooks gets hurt, who steps in? If Justin Smith gets hurt, who steps in? If RayMac gets hurt, who do you trust? I don't know either.

Since we have so many picks we should take advantage of them by stacking our team. How do you go wrong in that situation?

I agree that we need to add depth at wr/pr, I just am not looking for them to go in that direction too early, I think we can find him mid round. We'll still have Crabtree, Mario, Jenkins and probably Moss (since Williams will miss most of next season).

I'm standing by T.J McDonald or Eric Reid replacing Whitner 100%.

I'm not sure about the cap room, I just don't want paying Goldson to affect it, I'd rather Cully replace him if it does. There will be some good cb's in the 2nd and 3rd.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Jenkins has been a disappointment to date, but I'm not ready to give up on him at this point. He's supposed to be our game breaker. I don't like using another high pick on the position at this point unless we're sure he's not going to pan out. That would be pretty disappointing....

I'm not sure where this "Jenkins has been a disappointment" is coming from? I saw the Jenkins pick as a depth pick - in fact I saw all of our picks in 2012 as depth picks. I think we need to wait to see him on the field before we conclude that he has been a disappointment.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

To clarify, I'm not giving up on Jenkins. I just don't see him as a game breaker. I want a guy in the AJ Green/Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson mold. A guy with size and speed that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, we are in good shape, FOR NOW.
First off, the te "need" that I speak of is only to replace Walker. I don't really feel like going into depth on him, we've all seen.

The only point I'm making about depth is that if Aldon or Brooks gets hurt, who steps in? If Justin Smith gets hurt, who steps in? If RayMac gets hurt, who do you trust? I don't know either.

Since we have so many picks we should take advantage of them by stacking our team. How do you go wrong in that situation?

I agree that we need to add depth at wr/pr, I just am not looking for them to go in that direction too early, I think we can find him mid round. We'll still have Crabtree, Mario, Jenkins and probably Moss (since Williams will miss most of next season).

I'm standing by T.J McDonald or Eric Reid replacing Whitner 100%.

I'm not sure about the cap room, I just don't want paying Goldson to affect it, I'd rather Cully replace him if it does. There will be some good cb's in the 2nd and 3rd.

The idea of using our picks on depth is flawed. With 14 picks, how many actually make the team? This year our top picks haven't even suited up. What's the point in hanging on to a bunch of 3rd round picks if they aren't actually going to contribute on game day (assuming they make the squad). I'd much rather move up in the draft and get game breakers that can contribute.

Moving Culliver to safety is a mistake regardless of what happens with Goldson. If we lose Goldson, we should bring in another safety to replace him, not move our best CB there just because he has the physical measurements to play the position. As I said earlier, had we lost Bowman we wouldn't move Brooks to ILB just because he CAN play there.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure where this "Jenkins has been a disappointment" is coming from? I saw the Jenkins pick as a depth pick - in fact I saw all of our picks in 2012 as depth picks. I think we need to wait to see him on the field before we conclude that he has been a disappointment.

To clarify, I'm disappointed that he hasn't seen the field. The entire point of my post was that we should wait to see what he can do before using another high pick on a receiver as we don't really know what we have in him yet.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To clarify, I'm not giving up on Jenkins. I just don't see him as a game breaker. I want a guy in the AJ Green/Julio Jones/Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson mold. A guy with size and speed that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

I'd love a guy in that mold, but you're talking about four guys who were all taken in the top-10. You could probably include a Jordy Nelson and Demaryius Thomas in there as well, and they were taken a little later, but those guys are awfully hard to find, and in the case of the latter two took awhile to develop. I know very little about this year's WR class, but what're the odds of finding that type - other than in an unpolished h/w/s guy like Stephen Hill - when we're picking?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love a guy in that mold, but you're talking about four guys who were all taken in the top-10. You could probably include a Jordy Nelson and Demaryius Thomas in there as well, and they were taken a little later, but those guys are awfully hard to find, and in the case of the latter two took awhile to develop. I know very little about this year's WR class, but what're the odds of finding that type - other than in an unpolished h/w/s guy like Stephen Hill - when we're picking?

COULD be, ATM, Justin Hunter from Tenn as a WR that would drop to the 20s or late 20s. He's 6'4 around 200.

Not saying we WR but for speculation purposes, Hunter "could" be available in that half of the first.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify, I'm disappointed that he hasn't seen the field. The entire point of my post was that we should wait to see what he can do before using another high pick on a receiver as we don't really know what we have in him yet.

I share the same disappointment - but more for selfish rather than tactical reasons. It seems Harbaugh, when he can, likes to take his time with players and give them a strong development period.

It is entirely possible that for any other HC Jenkins would likely have seen the field already. I think his absence from the field is more the product of environment than talent. We'll get at least a glimpse into that Sunday.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs to remind Harbs that "redshirting" players at the pros has a time restraint on it, it's not like they have all the time in the world... IMO

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs to remind Harbs that "redshirting" players at the pros has a time restraint on it, it's not like they have all the time in the world... IMO

That's funny - go from red-shirt freshman to red-shirt rookie. After living through the Walsh era I'm okay with the quasi red-shirt rookie process. I think Harbaugh, with the depth he had at WR, saw an opportunity to deep develop Jenkins and he took it.

Or, I could be completely wrong and Jenkins will prove to be just another bad pick. We'll get a small glimpse on Sunday. And though he will be suited up Sunday I wonder how much field time and targets he will see.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of using our picks on depth is flawed. With 14 picks, how many actually make the team? This year our top picks haven't even suited up. What's the point in hanging on to a bunch of 3rd round picks if they aren't actually going to contribute on game day (assuming they make the squad). I'd much rather move up in the draft and get game breakers that can contribute.

Moving Culliver to safety is a mistake regardless of what happens with Goldson. If we lose Goldson, we should bring in another safety to replace him, not move our best CB there just because he has the physical measurements to play the position. As I said earlier, had we lost Bowman we wouldn't move Brooks to ILB just because he CAN play there.

Different scenario all together. I think Culliver would be a star, while adding more flat out coverage skills to the starting secondary. Especially if that move is followed up with a ss that is able to cover, as well as play in the box (T.J. McDonald, Matt Elam, Eric Reid). It's just my opinion.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You want Cordarelle Patterson. We need to try and trade up for him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well reggie wayne was a threat. jenkins can develop, but at the end of the day i see him as a good slot guy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Different scenario all together. I think Culliver would be a star, while adding more flat out coverage skills to the starting secondary. Especially if that move is followed up with a ss that is able to cover, as well as play in the box (T.J. McDonald, Matt Elam, Eric Reid). It's just my opinion.

Moving your best CB to a new position, when he's 24 years old, is not a way to improve the secondary. We improve the secondary's coverage skills by replacing Whitner, not by moving our best CB to safety and replacing him with a rookie.

It would also likely negatively affect the secondary in that we would be losing to atom bombs at safety. Culliver is never going to hit like Goldson. He's a CB. Leave him there.