• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers @ Cardinals

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very disappointing outcome, and generally a bad game to watch. It seems that every game I watch, the outcome is determined more and more by the refs....and this is a league-wide problem. There were several rotten calls/non-calls in the Arizona/SF matchup that did benefit the Cards, but there is nothing you can do except hope that it somehow evens out in the end of the season.

I had no problem with either gameplan - offensively or defensively, and feel the same way after rewatching the game. Zona plays basically man coverage - although they went to more zone than normal....no V. Davis the reason? The quick passing game worked as I figured as a result. Unfortunately, it's the same story - tons of penalties, (some deservedly so - the dumb ones like Boldin's headbutt which cost us points and Cullivers' taunt, Brooks with his usual hands to the face) offensive line play, little pocket pressure on the opposing qb, and blown coverages defensively. The entire secondary seems to be out of touch with one another, and it makes sense since they've barely played together as a unit.

In fact, I believe a major culprit has been blown assingments, and they are coming at the worst possible time. Lots of new faces via injury/suspension, so it may be a few games yet before they resemble a cohesive unit...although by then it may be too late. Boone and A. Brooks are stealing money - the most disappointing of the true vets on the team. The obvious bright spots were Kaep (although he still had a couple of 'wtf are you thinking' throws) and Stevie Johnson - who seems to really excel at working against man coverage. Patrick Willis and Justin Smith? Business as usual.

Philly might be a critical point to the season. I just don't have a grip on what this team will do, or play 'how do we give this game away.' The team needs to gel quickly and put away the idiotic mistakes, or it may be lights out for 2014 sooner rather than later.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A very disappointing outcome, and generally a bad game to watch. It seems that every game I watch, the outcome is determined more and more by the refs....and this is a league-wide problem. There were several rotten calls/non-calls in the Arizona/SF matchup that did benefit the Cards, but there is nothing you can do except hope that it somehow evens out in the end of the season.

I had no problem with either gameplan - offensively or defensively, and feel the same way after rewatching the game. Zona plays basically man coverage - although they went to more zone than normal....no V. Davis the reason? The quick passing game worked as I figured as a result. Unfortunately, it's the same story - tons of penalties, (some deservedly so - the dumb ones like Boldin's headbutt which cost us points and Cullivers' taunt, Brooks with his usual hands to the face) offensive line play, little pocket pressure on the opposing qb, and blown coverages defensively. The entire secondary seems to be out of touch with one another, and it makes sense since they've barely played together as a unit.

In fact, I believe a major culprit has been blown assingments, and they are coming at the worst possible time. Lots of new faces via injury/suspension, so it may be a few games yet before they resemble a cohesive unit...although by then it may be too late. Boone and A. Brooks are stealing money - the most disappointing of the true vets on the team. The obvious bright spots were Kaep (although he still had a couple of 'wtf are you thinking' throws) and Stevie Johnson - who seems to really excel at working against man coverage. Patrick Willis and Justin Smith? Business as usual.

Philly might be a critical point to the season. I just don't have a grip on what this team will do, or play 'how do we give this game away.' The team needs to gel quickly and put away the idiotic mistakes, or it may be lights out for 2014 sooner rather than later.

like the general gist of this post, too easy to point at refs for the lost.

if the 49ers just played better - focused just a little more - we'd have won. same with the Bears game.