• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers a finalist for Manning

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Deep won't like to hear this, but with the basic restructure that teams use we could save approximately

3.75M in cap space in 2012 with Vernon Davis

1.8M with Crabtree

2.5M with Justin Smith (although this one may be worth an extension as well as he's a FA after 2013.

We could also save some coin by extending Sopoaga.

However, just by restructuring Davis and Crabtree we open up about another 5.5M in cap space this year without adding years or money to the deal.

Other candidates (though only signed through 2013) who could restructure to create more cap room include David Akers (roughly 1.1M) and Witner (roughly 1.1M).

All numbers are approximate as I didn't look up league minimum salaries, but estimated them to be in the 750 to 850k range.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We could also save some coin by extending Sopoaga.

True, but I don't know if that'd be such a good idea. The Niners are already starting to create a bit of a bubble a few years down the road. Soap could be franchised next year, so that would give 'em 2 more seasons with him. In the mean time it's probably time to start looking for his replacement so the Niners are able to keep some of the young talent who will hit FA over the next 3-5 years.

Anthony Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Culliver, Aldon, Hunter, Kilgore???, Manningham if he works out great for the Niners, Bruce Miller...

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way: notice how I didn't mention Crabby under young TALENT. I'm looking forward to the day he signs with another team (unless Baalke makes one of my dreams come true and trades him eventually).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the money we're spending on crabtree we could prolly get burress and donnie avery

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the money we're spending on crabtree we could prolly get burress and donnie avery

BS. We owe Crabtree 3.5mil this year. Plaxico's contract alone in 2011 was for 3.1mil, so he's not taking anything lower than that. Unless you think we can get Donnie Avery for $400,000.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: Adam, it seems like the favorite team to land Peyton Manning is changing daily. I think the San Francisco 49ers make the most sense for him. Which team do you think is the frontrunner and when will we have a decision?

-- Travis (Oklahoma)​

A: Those are the questions everyone has and the answers everyone wants to know, Travis. The timeline is now. Peyton Manning is on the clock. It wouldn't surprise me if we got an answer today, but it wouldn't surprise me if this lingered until a bit later this week. One way or another, though, it does seem like it is coming to a head and we're going to get an answer here pretty soon. Not going to venture a guess, though, when arguments can be made for Denver, San Francisco and Tennessee.

--Adam Schefter​

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That was quite possibly the most ambiguous response to a question that I've seen.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was quite possibly the most ambiguous response to a question that I've seen.

Same thing I thought. Some people are unable to admit when they are wrong, or simply to let someone know that they don't have the answer to a problem/question. I guess that's part of the human behavior especially from certain people in certain profession.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By the way: notice how I didn't mention Crabby under young TALENT. I'm looking forward to the day he signs with another team (unless Baalke makes one of my dreams come true and trades him eventually).

That is actually a double trade value...he improves our team by leaving and makes the other team worse!