• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:(

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, the info is quite helpful. i don't always ask questions when i should, then realize later that i should have asked questions.

and for the record, i fully endorse any bragging.

Sorry to hear Johnny. I went through some shit like this last year at this time, well late May til Jan. Mine probably wasn't as bad, partial tears in both rotator cuffs, but I also didn't have to have surgery, so best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks everyone.

i'm guessing it'll need surgery, but i think they do it all arthroscopically now/

my father in law blew both of his acl's in the past and at a fairly advanced age, buthe's recovered really well and is one of the most fit people i know, so i'm hoping this all goes smoothly if it goes in that direction.

Just don't push yourself to get back, that's the key to any injury. Let your body tell you when you are ready.

I've had tons of injuries throughout my life, and with the exception of a jaw none were broken bones. All tears and sprains and dislocations. I ripped a muscle in my lower back when I was 16 and wanted to get healthy for the Grands so I pushed myself. 24 years later, that damn thing still hurts. The dislocated ankles that happened at the end of the season that same year where I had all winter to recuperate? Mostly fine now.

I do wish I'd have had my knee scoped when I was 18 though; minor tear just waiting to pop again, I fear.

Just take it easy. And next time, bounce off the wall. It's why they're there. :D

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've had tons of injuries throughout my life, and with the exception of a jaw none were broken bones. All tears and sprains and dislocations. I ripped a muscle in my lower back when I was 16 and wanted to get healthy for the Grands so I pushed myself. 24 years later, that damn thing still hurts. The dislocated ankles that happened at the end of the season that same year where I had all winter to recuperate? Mostly fine now.

Unusual stories for an IT security guy.

/I'm back in school for a related field and, holy shit, do you guys ever get off the fucking couch?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to hear Johnny. I went through some shit like this last year at this time, well late May til Jan. Mine probably wasn't as bad, partial tears in both rotator cuffs, but I also didn't have to have surgery, so best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rotator Cuff surgery is regarded as the most difficult to make a full recovery from. I've talked with MDs about it and most say the same thing...RC is the biggest pain in the butt out there. Luckily, for the average individual (aka everyone but throwing athletes) it's not something which has to be surgically repaired (unless full width length tear). Still a ton of rehab though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't push yourself to get back, that's the key to any injury. Let your body tell you when you are ready.

I do wish I'd have had my knee scoped when I was 18 though; minor tear just waiting to pop again, I fear.

Just take it easy. And next time, bounce off the wall. It's why they're there. :D

Holy schniekes...nice injury history. Dislocated ankles? Sheesh.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fuck, fuck, figgity, fuck fuck fuck!!

Don't worry homeboy, I'm sure you'll heal faster than Mike Modano!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck, fuck, figgity, fuck fuck fuck!!

Don't worry homeboy, I'm sure you'll heal faster than Mike Modano!

+1

Sorry to hear, johnny.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotator Cuff surgery is regarded as the most difficult to make a full recovery from. I've talked with MDs about it and most say the same thing...RC is the biggest pain in the butt out there. Luckily, for the average individual (aka everyone but throwing athletes) it's not something which has to be surgically repaired (unless full width length tear). Still a ton of rehab though.

Yeah it was a lot of rehab. 3 days a week for 4 months. It sure is nice to be able to put on a t-shirt without excruciating pain.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unusual stories for an IT security guy.

/I'm back in school for a related field and, holy shit, do you guys ever get off the fucking couch?

Well, most of the injuries were from previous career as "extreme athlete".

But even still, I never get on the couch. I think you are thinking of developers. Me and the guy in the cube next to me do 100 miles a week on our road bikes. I play hockey with two others and a group of us get together once a month for mountain biking. The only reason I haven't gone skydiving with them is they won't let me ride a bike out of the plane.

High stress = crazy need for stress relief. But there is no other job I can see myself doing. Welcome to the madness, if you ever want to bounce questions off a grizzled old vet, I am just a PM away.

Holy schniekes...nice injury history. Dislocated ankles? Sheesh.

Wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't both at once. :D

10ft ramp. 12 feet of air. number of pedals missed on re-entry = 2. SNAP!

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, most of the injuries were from previous career as "extreme athlete".

But even still, I never get on the couch. I think you are thinking of developers. Me and the guy in the cube next to me do 100 miles a week on our road bikes. I play hockey with two others and a group of us get together once a month for mountain biking. The only reason I haven't gone skydiving with them is they won't let me ride a bike out of the plane.

High stress = crazy need for stress relief. But there is no other job I can see myself doing. Welcome to the madness, if you ever want to bounce questions off a grizzled old vet, I am just a PM away.

Wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't both at once. :D

10ft ramp. 12 feet of air. number of pedals missed on re-entry = 2. SNAP!

Jeebus, I'm going to start calling you "X-Games"!

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't know we were listing ALL injuries. Lets see if I can remember them all.

Partial tear in both rotator cuffs, including twice in right shoulder, crushed thumb with a break and skin and nail ripped out, Broken nose 3 times, fractured cheek, fractured eye socket, grade 3 (is that the bad one?) knee sprains in both knees, tendon damage in right elbow from playing softball, an ankle sprain so severe they took me into x-ray a second time because they couldn't believe it wasn't broken (it was really swollen and the color was unbelievable), burns on my left shoulder and upper back from having fresh, hot coffee spilled on me when I was 5 (at the Brockton Fair. I still have scars), deep 2nd degree burns on my right foot from bacon grease (worse than the coffee burns by far but surprisingly, no scars), middle and ring finger on left hand got crushed in the seam of a garage door from the top down to first knuckle, 3 cracked ribs on upper back, right side, from playing paintball (their gun was shooting "hot"), pulled groin running the bases (get your minds out of the gutter ya bastards), stitches a couple time, I've had bone spurs in the knuckle of the big toe on my left foot from stubbing my toe (hey it was 3 am and I woke up having to pee), I know I'm missing a few. And no, I'm not clumsy!!!

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks Johnny get some rest drink some beer and get well soon.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know we were listing ALL injuries. Lets see if I can remember them all.

Partial tear in both rotator cuffs, including twice in right shoulder, crushed thumb with a break and skin and nail ripped out, Broken nose 3 times, fractured cheek, fractured eye socket, grade 3 (is that the bad one?) knee sprains in both knees, tendon damage in right elbow from playing softball, an ankle sprain so severe they took me into x-ray a second time because they couldn't believe it wasn't broken (it was really swollen and the color was unbelievable), burns on my left shoulder and upper back from having fresh, hot coffee spilled on me when I was 5 (at the Brockton Fair. I still have scars), deep 2nd degree burns on my right foot from bacon grease (worse than the coffee burns by far but surprisingly, no scars), middle and ring finger on left hand got crushed in the seam of a garage door from the top down to first knuckle, 3 cracked ribs on upper back, right side, from playing paintball (their gun was shooting "hot"), pulled groin running the bases (get your minds out of the gutter ya bastards), stitches a couple time, I've had bone spurs in the knuckle of the big toe on my left foot from stubbing my toe (hey it was 3 am and I woke up having to pee), I know I'm missing a few. And no, I'm not clumsy!!!

3rd degree when speaking of strains/sprains means complete tear of ligaments/muscle/tendon (so yeah, it's the worst). And you're the guy that when we take a medical history before examining an injury, we'd just write down "really effed up".

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

uh, wow.

hearing all these stories really makes me realize how lucky i've been.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Partial tear in both rotator cuffs, including twice in right shoulder, crushed thumb with a break and skin and nail ripped out, Broken nose 3 times, fractured cheek, fractured eye socket, grade 3 (is that the bad one?) knee sprains in both knees, tendon damage in right elbow from playing softball, an ankle sprain so severe they took me into x-ray a second time because they couldn't believe it wasn't broken (it was really swollen and the color was unbelievable), burns on my left shoulder and upper back from having fresh, hot coffee spilled on me when I was 5 (at the Brockton Fair. I still have scars), deep 2nd degree burns on my right foot from bacon grease (worse than the coffee burns by far but surprisingly, no scars), middle and ring finger on left hand got crushed in the seam of a garage door from the top down to first knuckle, 3 cracked ribs on upper back, right side, from playing paintball (their gun was shooting "hot"), pulled groin running the bases (get your minds out of the gutter ya bastards), stitches a couple time, I've had bone spurs in the knuckle of the big toe on my left foot from stubbing my toe (hey it was 3 am and I woke up having to pee), I know I'm missing a few. And no, I'm not clumsy!!!And this scar here I got from the USS Indianapolis.

:shocked:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeebus, I'm going to start calling you "X-Games"!

I competed against the first wave of those guys. Hoffman, McCoy, Mirra, Nyquist... Grew up with Brian Foster.

Except for McCoy, they were all the "young bucks" around the time I was fading out.

Can't list them all chronologically, but I can list by category:
Tears:
ACL
MCL
Meniscus
Lower Back Muscle

Dislocations:
Jaw Hinge
Shoulder (both - different times)
Ankles (Both at once)

Concussions:
4 Major
2 minor

Broken bones:
Jaw, the bottom part right across my chin.

Stitches:
I believe the cumulative total was like 175, not counting surgery ones.

Internal Organs traumatized
Spleen
Kidney
Lung (Collapsed)
Royal rastafarian ne-ney's

Sprains:
Seemingly every joint in my body minus one elbow

Tons of road rash, including a spot on my left calf about 6 inches in area that will not grow hair.

And more muscle pulls than I care to mention. Groins, Hamstrings, backs, arms...

Wouldn't trade any of it for the world, though...
5847193818_3b8e93790b_z.jpg

5596583961_5010fe1de8_z.jpg

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd degree when speaking of strains/sprains means complete tear of ligaments/muscle/tendon (so yeah, it's the worst). And you're the guy that when we take a medical history before examining an injury, we'd just write down "really effed up".

Oh, then it wasn't 3rd degree because it wasn't a complete tear. AND THOSE INJURIES DIDN'T ALL HAPPEN AT THE SAME TIME!!!