• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/6 Rays @ Scrabble

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If D-Rod falters, he'll be shipped to Sacramento quickly. Pomeranz and Samardzija going on the dl at some point this season are very real possibilities. Bumgarner may well be gone by the end of July. Holland could get moved to the bullpen. Yeah, I think you are right. But I don't see either of Samardzija or Pomeranz getting moved to the bullpen quickly. And while I hope this doesn't happen, I expect FZ to trade for some mediocre pitcher instead of giving some guy from AAA an extended look.
Based on what evidence, though? Because he traded for Pillar? He gave up a low-level lottery ticket for him. And the outfield HAD to be addressed. Apparently, the vets were PISSED at Reed and Joe getting opening day starts.

There is ZERO evidence that FZ will make a push to compete this season.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what evidence, though? Because he traded for Pillar? He gave up a low-level lottery ticket for him. And the outfield HAD to be addressed. Apparently, the vets were PISSED at Reed and Joe getting opening day starts.

There is ZERO evidence that FZ will make a push to compete this season.
If you are asking for evidence on my last statement (trading for more veteran pitchers), I think you provided it. And Reed and Joe didn't both have to start on opening day. There was a certain veteran named Parra on the bench. That was, I presume, FZ's call as I have a hard time believing Bochy would start three guys in their 20s in the outfielder when Parra was available.

Side note question, why were the vets pissed about those guys starting? Was because they were young or because they were just acquired before spring training ended?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are asking for evidence on my last statement (trading for more veteran pitchers), I think you provided it. And Reed and Joe didn't both have to start on opening day. There was a certain veteran named Parra on the bench. That was, I presume, FZ's call as I have a hard time believing Bochy would start three guys in their 20s in the outfielder when Parra was available.

Side note question, why were the vets pissed about those guys starting? Was because they were young or because they were just acquired before spring training ended?
It has been mentioned on KNBR a number of times. I think the vets just didn’t think either of them deserved starts (Joe got his cuppo on Opening day, and had, to that point, done nothing to even deserve a 25 slot, let alone a starting gig).

The players don’t want anything to do with a rebuild. They don’t want an embarrassment of an outfield on their team. To appease the guys in the clubhouse, FZ went out and got an elite defensive CFer and by all reports a very good clubhouse guy for 2 loaves of week-old bread and a lotto ticket. Pillar is not the difference between a top 5 draft pick and the playoffs. But he, almost single-handedly, has turned the OF from a joke to arguably the best defensive unit in the bigs.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been mentioned on KNBR a number of times. I think the vets just didn’t think either of them deserved starts (Joe got his cuppo on Opening day, and had, to that point, done nothing to even deserve a 25 slot, let alone a starting gig).

The players don’t want anything to do with a rebuild. They don’t want an embarrassment of an outfield on their team. To appease the guys in the clubhouse, FZ went out and got an elite defensive CFer and by all reports a very good clubhouse guy for 2 loaves of week-old bread and a lotto ticket. Pillar is not the difference between a top 5 draft pick and the playoffs. But he, almost single-handedly, has turned the OF from a joke to arguably the best defensive unit in the bigs.

/stands on chair

:clap::clap::clap: