• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/6 Rays @ Scrabble

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just gonna leave this here. After Parra's single:

Kuiper: "That's what's called a slumpbuster"

Krukow: "Indeed. Just find a hole."

:eek: :heh:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do really enjoy watching the Rays. Wish I put a bet on them to win the AL East. I think they've got a great shot.

Samesies. Would you say it’s more drafting or farm/teaching?

I think it's mostly been through trades for their roster construction. I like that they're not afraid to try anything too. They just had a 4-man outfield for Belt. They were the first team to use the opener.

It's a breathe of fresh air

It seems that ESPN agrees with you two - Why the Rays are the most exciting team in baseball

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more games this year will the 'pen have to go 4+? Isn't that responsible for a good portion of the BS's that this team gives up each year?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more games this year will the 'pen have to go 4+? Isn't that responsible for a good portion of the BS's that this team gives up each year?
I wish we more like the rest of the league, where their starters regularly go 7+ innings...

Wait. What?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we more like the rest of the league, where their starters regularly go 7+ innings...

Wait. What?
I guess you're right. I searched IP for starters for the last three years and the Gs are in the upper half for all three years, and correspondingly, the redelivers IP are in the bottom half.:yield:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a great article and something that gives me hope for the Giants. If the Rays were able to rebuild a competitive team with the financial constraints they had, then this franchise should be able to as well. It will require creativity and an open-minded approach, something I feel like the old regime was so against. And I don't entirely blame them because of 3 in 5 years, but that's what I'm really hoping for with Zaidi.

This passage really stood out to me.

That's an important distinction. Unlike other franchises, the Rays never sank into a complete teardown and rebuild. In two of those losing seasons they went 80-82, hardly the record of a tanking team. It's something to respect. Of course, with their financial limitations, the Rays were always in the constant shuffle of players and talent.

Bloom said there wasn't one significant change in the scouting and development areas that turned things around. He said the goal is always for the members of the front office to keep pushing one another to look under the hood and try to remain ahead of other teams in how the sport continues to evolve. That kind of thinking -- with the acceptance of manager Kevin Cash and the major league coaching staff -- led to the opener strategy that worked so well last season and will be used again in 2019.

Now the 40-man roster is loaded with talent. Snell might be the only big star, but any of the 40 players can contribute if needed.

Easier said than done, no doubt, but this is how the Giants should approach the next few years.

Reactions: LHG

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, my take from reading the boxscore and not seeing one pitch yesterday:

1. Poopturdja was ineffective....again.
2. Craw seems to be in a nice groove.
3. :kev: got a hit.

2/5 of this rotation gives me diaper rash. We gotta get Beede or someone else up here soon.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, my take from reading the boxscore and not seeing one pitch yesterday:

1. Poopturdja was ineffective....again.
2. Craw seems to be in a nice groove.
3. :kev: got a hit.

2/5 of this rotation gives me diaper rash. We gotta get Beede or someone else up here soon.
That 2/5ths of the rotation isn't going anywhere, unless they get injured. So I'm not sure how Beede or someone else from AAA will get into the rotation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2/5ths of the rotation isn't going anywhere, unless they get injured. So I'm not sure how Beede or someone else from AAA will get into the rotation.
If Sammy completely implodes, I could see him moved to the bully. Not that I expect that, mind you. I am just saying that is possible.

Dutch is a decent #4 starter / long man. But if Anderson or Beede or Suarez force the issue, I don’t see him blocking their path.

And I fully expect at least 9 different pitchers getting multiple starts this year. Probably more than that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sammy completely implodes, I could see him moved to the bully. Not that I expect that, mind you. I am just saying that is possible.

Dutch is a decent #4 starter / long man. But if Anderson or Beede or Suarez force the issue, I don’t see him blocking their path.

And I fully expect at least 9 different pitchers getting multiple starts this year. Probably more than that.
If D-Rod falters, he'll be shipped to Sacramento quickly. Pomeranz and Samardzija going on the dl at some point this season are very real possibilities. Bumgarner may well be gone by the end of July. Holland could get moved to the bullpen. Yeah, I think you are right. But I don't see either of Samardzija or Pomeranz getting moved to the bullpen quickly. And while I hope this doesn't happen, I expect FZ to trade for some mediocre pitcher instead of giving some guy from AAA an extended look.