• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.28 Rox @ Lumber

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down, gramps. They put the mop up guy in with a five run lead in the 9th and he gave up a run and mopped it up.

Another great pitching performance. This is the best starting pitching we've had since 2010-2012 but it's all unexpected and random names, not Cy Young winners and rookie phenoms and Cain and such.

The starting pitching has been excellent. Who saw this coming? Raise your hand! Like the Dodgers of old, the key may be to get into the Giants bullpen to have a chance.

Giants have 11 QS in 25 games

Giants have 6 Shutouts in 25 games

Giants are 3-7 with two walks or less, and 13-2 when 3 walks or more

Tonight was just the second game with no XBH

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhoo....a pitcher CS third? I've not seen that before.
Looked like he was leaking, was my guess. He ran directly from 3rd down the stairs to the clubhouse. Kuip mentioned that’s what he thought was the case as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember who posted all the charts that proved Giants got umpjacked but I remember that. PWD was mainly before my time over at ESPN (I joined at the end of 2008). Most of what you guys are talking about is TitoMac. He was the "EZ all good" "Cain's got a tight spincster" and is a "looser". He felt all Hispanic players were not fully utilized and Cain especially wasn't worth a penny and should be let go.
The massive posts by himself and the poems was grabsumpinemeat, aka SYM, aka another name that I cannot remember.
This is amazing recall...Grabsum aka Speakyourmind...spot on.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outstanding QS for this guy, and Debbie tzill strikes again LOL
I don't know I'd go with "outstanding" given the seventh inning. He just ran out of gas. IMO, this one is more on Kap...he started leaking oil on the first batter and should have been hooked earlier. Then again, with this bully....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on the Mouse board, it really was the wild west. No mods at all for a long time. Then BruteSentiment (who writes for McCovey Chronicles these days) was appointed one. Things went downhill from there.

I will always remember DFaninWisc. He, along with DieGnatsDie were die hard Dodger fans, but were welcomed to the board, and gave as good as they got. At some point, Mrs. DFaninWisc came on the board to let us know that he had died, presumably of a heart attack or something. I never forgot that in spite of all the mud slinging and arguments, there are real people here, along with the trolls.

Anyway, good digging. You are a born researcher.
Completely forgot about Dfan...he was a royal a-hole but a good baseball fan. I hope he's hanging out with Lasorda.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like he was leaking, was my guess. He ran directly from 3rd down the stairs to the clubhouse. Kuip mentioned that’s what he thought was the case as well.
Thats what Kruk said on the telecast, but I thought he was joking.

He probably wasn't joking.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know I'd go with "outstanding" given the seventh inning. He just ran out of gas. IMO, this one is more on Kap...he started leaking oil on the first batter and should have been hooked earlier. Then again, with this bully....
Give me 6 innings and 2 runs every day please. You're so weird about this.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you spelled "this bullpen" wrong.
The entire bullpen isn't awful. There's a certain pitcher (*cough* Rogers!) that a certain poster had been advocating for a shot for years who, surprise, is pitching well. Doval has been good since his call up. Moronta was doing well before hitting the IL. Baragar is looking pretty good so far (but needs to cut down on the base traffic). McGee, in spite of his recent hiccups, has put together a decent start to the season.
However, the down side of this bullpen has been really bad. I'm shocked that the Giants were able to trade Peralta. He looked more like dfa fodder. May be able to chalk that up to FZ genius. Alvarez hasn't been that good and looks like a big meltdown in progress. Santos earned the demotion and shouldn't have been called up to begin with. Garcia mercifully got put on the IL. Wisler needs to be let go. He's pitched awfully.
So, in my opinion, this bullpen is Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde. Its the good and the ugly. There is no bad.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking it up I'd wager our bullpen is top 10-12 in baseball so far. I bet @LHG can find the stats.
I typically have to hunt down stats like that and haven't found a website to compare bullpen numbers. Most websites only compare the entire pitching performance. I don't have enough time to manually compile bullpen performance, to date, on all 30 teams. I've got fantasy teams to run, you know!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me 6 innings and 2 runs every day please. You're so weird about this.
I'm not arguing the results, but I'm not going to overlook glaring shortcomings.

It's like saying all is well when you're in first place with a 16-9 record. It isn't. The bullpen is shaky at best. Pointing out these things isn't "weird," it's realistic. And sure, I'd be fine with 6 and 2 every game from here on out. Problem is, we won't get that. Kap's going to need to be better. That's all.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically have to hunt down stats like that and haven't found a website to compare bullpen numbers. Most websites only compare the entire pitching performance. I don't have enough time to manually compile bullpen performance, to date, on all 30 teams. I've got fantasy teams to run, you know!
I was trying to bait you into it LOL. I know our bully is the #weaklink right now but it's really not that bad. Shows how good we are at least in the early going.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I write this, I think Fangraphs! So I went there and found this:
The Giants' bullpen ranks in the following:
Innings thrown - 26th (76.2 IP). That's a mere 3 innings more than the 29th ranked team (the Mets are 30th with only 54 IP). The Padres have thrown the most, at 114.1 IP.
Ks/9 - Right in the middle, 16th, with 9.51. The Mets lead with 11.5 and Seattle is at the bottom with 8.02
BBs/9 - Also in the middle, 15th, with 3.76. The stingest is the Marlins with 2.62 and the most generous is the Cubs with 5.79.
LOB% - Here is where it gets a bit ugly, 23rd. They strand only 69.7% of runners on base.
ERA - Ranked 11th at 4.34. Toronto has the lowest at 2.30 and Detroit is the worst, with 5.83.
WAR - Oh boy, the rank is 29th, at -0.7. They are virtually tied with Arizona for last place (a mere percentage points separate them).

I would, based on these numbers, put our bullpen in the lower 10 tier of MLB. Our stinkers really stink and more than make up for some of the better guys in the bullpen.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing the results, but I'm not going to overlook glaring shortcomings.

It's like saying all is well when you're in first place with a 16-9 record. It isn't. The bullpen is shaky at best. Pointing out these things isn't "weird," it's realistic. And sure, I'd be fine with 6 and 2 every game from here on out. Problem is, we won't get that. Kap's going to need to be better. That's all.
It's weird but I see your point. Kap maybe needs improvement but Wood pitched great.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I write this, I think Fangraphs! So I went there and found this:
The Giants' bullpen ranks in the following:
Innings thrown - 26th (76.2 IP). That's a mere 3 innings more than the 29th ranked team (the Mets are 30th with only 54 IP). The Padres have thrown the most, at 114.1 IP.
Ks/9 - Right in the middle, 16th, with 9.51. The Mets lead with 11.5 and Seattle is at the bottom with 8.02
BBs/9 - Also in the middle, 15th, with 3.76. The stingest is the Marlins with 2.62 and the most generous is the Cubs with 5.79.
LOB% - Here is where it gets a bit ugly, 23rd. They strand only 69.7% of runners on base.
ERA - Ranked 11th at 4.34. Toronto has the lowest at 2.30 and Detroit is the worst, with 5.83.
WAR - Oh boy, the rank is 29th, at -0.7. They are virtually tied with Arizona for last place (a mere percentage points separate them).

I would, based on these numbers, put our bullpen in the lower 10 tier of MLB. Our stinkers really stink and more than make up for some of the better guys in the bullpen.
Ok I stand corrected....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on the Mouse board, it really was the wild west. No mods at all for a long time. Then BruteSentiment (who writes for McCovey Chronicles these days) was appointed one. Things went downhill from there.

I will always remember DFaninWisc. He, along with DieGnatsDie were die hard Dodger fans, but were welcomed to the board, and gave as good as they got. At some point, Mrs. DFaninWisc came on the board to let us know that he had died, presumably of a heart attack or something. I never forgot that in spite of all the mud slinging and arguments, there are real people here, along with the trolls.

Anyway, good digging. You are a born researcher.
When I think about it, I've been corresponding with all of you fellow lunatic fringes for about 13 years and yet have never met any of you (that I'm aware of) nor know any of your names (except maybe cal's, I think I stumbled upon it once). It can be easy to forget that we are all human and have to deal with life issues. I do try to pray for you all every once in a while.