• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30th Ranked Passing Offense

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im getting sick about hearing about this. By no means do I think this is good, but look at the passing attempts per game. Alex is Top 10 in rating and completion percentage. Isnt this enough? He is averaging 26 pass attempts per game, where Stafford for example is averaging 42. Besides the eagles game(niners were behind), harbaugh has played mostly to protect a lead in the second half. I would like to see the passing offense improve, but with a passer rating in the top 10(eight I think) and Gore being 5th in rushing, this is being totally overblown. A comback in Philly and the last second td against Detroit has shown me that I think our passing attack should be right in the middle. The media is making too much of this.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passer rating means nothing to me. Alex Smith has evolved into a nice game-manager, and as long as he's not making mistakes that's fine with me. For now.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that is all that matters. He is not making too many mistakes and is managing the game well enough to keep scoring more points than the opponent. I don't care about his rating, it's high, but it should be considering he is taking sacks or sliding instead of taking a risk on a pass. A good example of that is the end of the game yesterday, 3rd and was it 4 or 5? instead of tossing it into the endzone like you'd see Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, etc. do, Smith just ran and slid to secure the FG that would put the game away. Playing like that should result in a high QB rating.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clyde, all im saying is its overblown. Im extremely happy with Alex's game management, I am not enamored with the overall level of play. He isn't a game changer. This stat is being overblown is all!!!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im getting sick about hearing about this. By no means do I think this is good, but look at the passing attempts per game. Alex is Top 10 in rating and completion percentage. Isnt this enough? He is averaging 26 pass attempts per game, where Stafford for example is averaging 42. Besides the eagles game(niners were behind), harbaugh has played mostly to protect a lead in the second half. I would like to see the passing offense improve, but with a passer rating in the top 10(eight I think) and Gore being 5th in rushing, this is being totally overblown. A comback in Philly and the last second td against Detroit has shown me that I think our passing attack should be right in the middle. The media is making too much of this.

Where have you seen criticize the 49ers for this in the media?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey it just gives the networks/media something to crack on against the Niners. It isn't the conventional 300 yard passing that they covet and overblow through highlights, but at 6-1 limiting turnovers(possible TOs) is what seperates us from the likes of the cowboys....(they had what 2-3 gms locked up as wins only to "throw" it away????)

As long as Alex comes through in come from behind situations(which he has done vs Cincy, Philly, Det(yes D had a hand but for this topic purpose)) I have no problem.

Right now, when needed to, both Alex and Harbaugh has generated offense whether it's to score or eat up clock.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where have you seen criticize the 49ers for this in the media?

Obviously i had my head up my ass when i wrote this.

Where have you seen the media criticize the 49ers for having the 30th ranked offense is what i meant to say...

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Braylon is back and Crabs foot is holding up.
O-Line has been doing better.
Vernon has been on the down low.
We got 2 months to get the offense more dynamic through the air. Certainly looks doable.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't care if we have the 30th passing offense right now, we are winning games that's all that counts. We are going into 2nd half of most games protecting leads.

It does concern me a little in the long run just because you don't know how the team will respond in a playoff game if we go down by a couple of scores to a team like the Packers. But we responded well against the Eagles on the road so we'll be ok.

I think we have the best defense in the NFC.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson liting up the scoreboards as they raise the Lombardi trophy?

Did the greatest show of turf won glory vs the pats? Brady threw for 145....

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The herd this morning and mike and mike. Just saying that it was pathetic that a 6-1 team has the 30th ranked passing offense.

They would find something like that to bitch about. It was ok for the Colts to have the worst running game last year, though. Someone should tell them that limiting mistakes and winning the turnover battle are important as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

this is ok for the regular season, but not the play-offs and SB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Passer rating means nothing to me. Alex Smith has evolved into a nice game-manager, and as long as he's not making mistakes that's fine with me. For now.

true, the first priority is limit our own mistakes. Alex Smith is doing a good job in this area.

granted previous games, Detroit DB's dropped two picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braylon is back and Crabs foot is holding up.
O-Line has been doing better.
Vernon has been on the down low.
We got 2 months to get the offense more dynamic through the air. Certainly looks doable.

yep, and for me its not asking that we throw many more times, or throw more times deeeeeeep!

just a LITTLE more vertical but combined with more accuracy. the O-line is now giving Alex Smith more time to improve his accuracy. improved accuracy allows more YAC's and this is how it gets dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Stats are for losers, final score is for winners.

Stats can be useful but they can also be very misleading and you really have to look at them in context to derive quality information from them.

We're 30th in passing but we're 31st in attempts so it's just plain common sense that we're not going to have as many yards as the Saints do nearly have double the amount of attempts we do. To me the better stat to look at to determine our passing game health is YDS/A where we rank 16th.

The same thing applies to total defense. If you simply look at yards we rank 10th which doesn't seem that impressive but the most important stat you want to look is PTS and PTS/G where we are number 1 in both. Yards are meaningless if they aren't backed up by points so I'll take being number 1 in PTS and PTS/G over being number 1 in yards any day of the week.

Granted PTS and PTS/G is also a slightly misleading stat as the Baltimore/Arizona game showed as if your offense coughs up the ball on the 2 and they score off of that your defense technically "gave up" those points but overall it's still a fairly accurate stat.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, Cali_Kid.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know why passer rating means nothing to you Clyde; with a small sample size it doesn't say much, but over the course of the season it's a good indicator of how efficient the QB is.

Yardage rankings by team is a pretty useless statistic. You're better off looking at yards per play, and breaking it down by pass or run isn't an accurate reflection of either one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a lot of variables play into it that shouldn't. Garbage time yards/TDs, yards after the catch and/or contact, SOS, etc.

I'd rather look at individual and situational stats than QB rating.