• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(3) Phoenix Coyotes vs (8) L.A. Kings Western Conf. Finals series thread

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As disgusting as a Stanley Cup parade in Phoenix would be to witness, we would simply have to grin and bare it. Hard to believe in "Hockey Gods" when a place like poor Buffalo goes decades without seeing a win, yet a market who couldn't care less could have one.

That's the way it goes I guess. Anyway with any luck or whatever we will get one. There are a few other cities that deserve one as well but the bottom line is the team on the ice wins it not the fans.

I know what you're saying B&W and agree it would be great for some hard core hockey market to win it but I will respect any team and fans (no matter how many) that win it.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As disgusting as a Stanley Cup parade in Phoenix would be to witness, we would simply have to grin and bare it. Hard to believe in "Hockey Gods" when a place like poor Buffalo goes decades without seeing a win, yet a market who couldn't care less could have one.
Ducks Hold Stanley Cup Fan Celebration - Anaheim Ducks - News

saddest part
More than 15,000 fans crowded into the Honda Center parking lot Saturday evening to celebrate the 2007 Stanley Cup Champions Ducks.
That is less than the number of seats in the stadium.
I was there. They had free hotdogs and Pepsi (one of the PR guys called it Coke)
I worry that Phx will have even fewer people.
Right now Kings fans are buying tickets for Phx because it is cheaper/easier to get them there than in LA.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just had a glance at Ticketmaster:

Single tickets left for game 1 and plenty of tickets available for game 2. It appears that whole rows in the top section of the lower bowl are still available.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1 goes Sunday night at 8 PM Eastern, game 2 on Tuesday night at 9 PM Eastern.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things that will be key are the line matchups.The Coyotes and Kings played each other 6 times in the regular season. Both teams underwent many changes over the course of the series. 2 of these games were coached by Murray and 4 by Sutter. All of these games were before the Kings traded Johnson for Carter and the Coyotes traded for Vermette. Also there were injuries and many line-up changes along the way.

One of the advantages to not having home ice is that you get to see how certain matchups played out in the first two games and can react accordingly. The Coyotes don't really know how Hanzal and Richards (nor Kopitar and Vermette for that matter) will matchup but, by the time they get to LA, Sutter will have a very good idea. So if a matchup hasn't gone well in the first two games it will only be further exploited in the next two. It's probably usually not a huge advantage but in this series (where there are quite a few unknowns) it could become a bigger factor.

During the Nashville series, Vermette was hard matched against Fisher. The Predators don't have as clearly defined of a top line as the Kings do but I think it's reasonable to say that Vermette is their stopper. They tried to rely on Hanzal as their main offensive threat and matched them against Legwand. Will they try this again against the Kings or will they look for softer matchups along the bottom 6? Langkow was used exclusively against the bottom 6. This has worked well as their 4th line and has actually given them the most goal production in the playoffs. The 4th line has been a huge reason why they've gotten this far. Keep an eye on them, the Kings bottom 6 will be faced with a difficult task in Phoenix trying to stop them (Brule vs Fraser!)

some key points:

Will Kopitar be matched against Hanzal, as he was in the regular season, or will he be matched against Vermette (who the Coyotes only acquired after the final regular season meeting against the Kings)?

If Vermette is in fact tasked with containing Kopitar, will Tippett try to get Hanzal out versus Richards or go for softer matchups along the bottom 6?

Will the Coyotes shy away from using their bottom pair against Kopitar as they did in the regular season or rely on them more as they did against Nashville?

How will Phoenix roll their 3rd line? Will they try to use them to help contain Kopitar or will they need to hard match them against the Kings 3rd if they continue their stellar play?

Will Phoenix divert some of the top 6's minutes against the Kings 4th or will they try to hard match the 4ths in an effort to continue to generate scoring chances?

more to follow.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just had a glance at Ticketmaster:

Single tickets left for game 1 and plenty of tickets available for game 2. It appears that whole rows in the top section of the lower bowl are still available.

The StubHub prices for the ECF are pretty out of control at the moment. If it winds up being Devils/Rangers I stand to make a small fortune. Tickets were $75 a piece I could probably flip them for $200 easy. I'd imagine the situation is a bit different in the desert.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Beckham interviewed in Montreal as LA Galaxy set to take on Montreal Impact in MLS

Beckham on being asked about coming into a hockey town: "I think we're the hockey town at the moment." Classic response!

the guy/brand is smooth

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Beckham interviewed in Montreal as LA Galaxy set to take on Montreal Impact in MLS

Beckham on being asked about coming into a hockey town: "I think we're the hockey town at the moment." Classic response!

the guy/brand is smooth

I know they've shown him a bunch of times in the crowd. I'd imagine a fan of soccer would pick up on hockey pretty easily and be a fan.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this time off seems like foreverrrrr. LETS PLAY SOME HOCKEY

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be easy to spot the Kings fans.
Yotes are giving away white shirts

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The white shirts double as tourniquets in case you crash your car into a Grand Canyon sized pothole on the way home.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to wear my green hat for todays game. See if it works like it did for me up in Cali.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't mind seeing either team win this series. Gotta love Doan and Whitney, but hate Torres. Love Scuderi, Brown and Mitchell, but Richards can fuck off.

What is the lesser of two evils?

Kings get Doaned in 7...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
ice is going to be shit....

6 playoff home games for Kings-Clips-Lakers at Staples Thu-thru-Sun next week including 2 doubleheaders.