• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Toronto Raptors vs Philadelphia Sixers

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice. If you don't want them to celebrate then play better basketball.

They don't celebrate when they're losing

I hate that take. It just screams ignorant.

It's the same with football. "Well, if you don't want them to run up the score, then stop them from scoring!". That statement presumes they weren't trying to stop them from scoring all game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the same with football. "Well, if you don't want them to run up the score, then stop them from scoring!". That statement presumes they weren't trying to stop them from scoring all game.

I disagree.

The point is, all teams celebrate to some degree when they are winning. Teams getting upset because another team is beating them and celebrating are basically being hypocritical because they are getting upset over the very behavior they're likely to exhibit the next time they're winning a game.

Excessive celebration and/or taunting isn't okay...but if a team is beating you and celebrating, the best way to stop it is to play better and if your team just isn't good enough, then it should be used as incentive to get better.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

The point is, all teams celebrate to some degree when they are winning. Teams getting upset because another team is beating them and celebrating are basically being hypocritical because they are getting upset over the very behavior they're likely to exhibit the next time they're winning a game.

Excessive celebration and/or taunting isn't okay...but if a team is beating you and celebrating, the best way to stop it is to play better and if your team just isn't good enough, then it should be used as incentive to get better.

You disagree that claiming the best way to stop a team from running up the score (using my fball analogy) is to stop them from scoring, doesn't presume that the team getting beat down were letting them run up the score? :scratch:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You disagree that claiming the best way to stop a team from running up the score (using my fball analogy) is to stop them from scoring, doesn't presume that the team getting beat down were letting them run up the score? :scratch:

Pretty sure that I explained my position clearly.

If you want a team to not celebrate/run up the score, then stop them from scoring. If you can't, then use it as incentive to get better so that you can the next time.

Also, the point was more about whether or not a team should be upset that they are being celebrated on or having the score run up on them. They shouldn't, they should focus on playing/getting better.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that I explained my position clearly.

If you want a team to not celebrate/run up the score, then stop them from scoring. If you can't, then use it as incentive to get better so that you can the next time.

Also, the point was more about whether or not a team should be upset that they are being celebrated on or having the score run up on them. They shouldn't, they should focus on playing/getting better.

This is the ignorant crap I'm talking about. You just assumed that the team getting beat down wasn't trying to win the game, i.e. letting them score by not stopping them.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the ignorant crap I'm talking about. You just assumed that the team getting beat down wasn't trying to win the game, i.e. letting them score by not stopping them.
The other thing to remember is that these are games and are supposed to be fun. Players celebrating is a big part of why we watch. One of the problems with baseball is how you aren't allowed to celebrate much, unless you have a walkoff win or win a playoff series.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing to remember is that these are games and are supposed to be fun. Players celebrating is a big part of why we watch. One of the problems with baseball is how you aren't allowed to celebrate much, unless you have a walkoff win or win a playoff series.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem what the Sixers were doing. At all. I just have a huge problem when people say the best way to stop that is to stop them. That presumes they weren't trying. At all. Which is the very height of ignorance, IMO.

Also....what's a "walk-off"?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem what the Sixers were doing. At all. I just have a huge problem when people say the best way to stop that is to stop them. That presumes they weren't trying. At all. Which is the very height of ignorance, IMO.

Also....what's a "walk-off"?
When the home team goes ahead in the 9th or extra innings to win, they run around the bases all animated and their team runs out on the field and meets them with a big jumping around celebration. A walk off win

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the home team goes ahead in the 9th or extra innings to win, they run around the bases all animated and their team runs out on the field and meets them with a big jumping around celebration. A walk off win

But they're still on the field. I don't see any walking off in that scenario. I do however see a game win in that scenario. So why not call it a game-winner instead?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they're still on the field. I don't see any walking off in that scenario. I do however see a game win in that scenario. So why not call it a game-winner instead?
Don't know...maybe you should reach out to every sportswriter and broadcaster over the past 60 years and get it changed

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner of game 4 wins the series

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another tough loss for the Raptors last night. I think raptorlife is right, the Game 4 winner wins the series.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the presumption should be they struggle to stop them from scoring.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem here is you're assuming instead of reading what is actually in print & applying that concept.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, I didn't do that all. I specifically said "if they aren't good enough to stop them, then it should be incentive to improve."

That means that they may well be trying, but aren't good enough.

You not understanding the point, doesn't make others ignorant.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem here is you're assuming instead of reading what is actually in print & applying that concept.

Oh come on LAD assuming can be fun sometimes. Especially if someone (not me ever) wants to stir some stuff up. And what are your thoughts on macaroni salad vs. potato salad?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take 11 shots so i think it is fair to expect double digits out of him when you include free throws. I said before if he gives them his regular season numbers they would be fine.

Is 14 and 8 asking for too much from a player who probably attempts the 3rd most shots on the team?

Him and the rest of his teammates better wake up fast instead of sitting on their ass praying kawhi and siakam can win these games on their own. Philly isn't Orlando

It is fair to expect double digits. And he is still averaging 12 PPG for the series.

But he is a secondary scorer. And in game 1, which the Raptors won handily, he scored 9 points with 8 assists. His scoring wasn't needed because others were going well. Lowry didn't play poorly in game 1 as you suggested.

Game 3 was bad by any standard.

But, you are way too eager to bash Lowry. You even said he should have been benched for Jeremy Lin last series. How did that turn out?

Lowry is a secondary scorer. His role for the Raptors is somewhat similar to Brogdon's for the Bucks. Some nights you need him to score more, but most nights his primary job is to defend and get the ball moving.