• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd round dream pick

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not actively studying mock drafts of the several I have looked at the highest he came in at was a mid-fourth rd pick and several others only went four rds and he wasn't in them. Like I said, what did he really show that wasn't pretty much known before the combine? Maybe he showed to be more athletic than anticipated but the tape is still out there for several years of him as a starter. He wasn't even close to a second round pick based off of that pre-combine so to suddenly jump him up to a top 5 back in the draft and a second rd pick I just don't see. I think we would have a good chance for him in the 3rd.
Maybe. I just think the mocks had him too low because he's a small-school prospect. We'll see in a few months how it all shakes out...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't view David Johnson as a dream pick nor an unworthy pick if he was to be chosen as our second round pick. I'd much rather see a player taken earlier and become a starter for us than to miss out on said player who stars for another team.

My right now player draft would be, if they're available
1st rd... #23 DT Malcom Brown
2nd rd.. #54 DE Preston Smith
3rd rd.. #88 RB David Johnson (if you had to trade up a little bit, so be it)
4th rd. #119 OL Ali Marpet

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did call him a second rounder. My bad... He is my guy no matter where he gets taken. Is that better? LOL. Debating myself pacing the floor worse than when my children came into this world. This little grand daughter is not wanting to start her Lion fandom with paw paw anytime soon.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad draft if worked out that way. Can they really take defense back to back?

Blue you watched all the senior bowl practices I'm sure. The G from I believe Duke... Name ??
He really man handled Danny Shelton who I believe is future top 5 DT in this draft. This kid will be awesome in pass pro. When he anchored against Shelton I was impressed. He was also fundementally sound in run game blocking in his highlight reel.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad draft if worked out that way. Can they really take defense back to back?

Blue you watched all the senior bowl practices I'm sure. The G from I believe Duke... Name ??
He really man handled Danny Shelton who I believe is future top 5 DT in this draft. This kid will be awesome in pass pro. When he anchored against Shelton I was impressed. He was also fundementally sound in run game blocking in his highlight reel.
Laken Tomlinson. If we can land him in the 3rd and continue our run of interior OL starters in said round I'd be tickled pink.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laken Tomlinson. If we can land him in the 3rd and continue our run of interior OL starters in said round I'd be tickled pink.
I think you got them backwards. The RB is a third round pick while Tomlinson is a second rounder

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you got them backwards. The RB is a third round pick while Tomlinson is a second rounder
I'd be fine with that, since we'd land two guys I like and the draft position would be essentially a wash, but I think the 2nd round might be a bit too early for Tomlinson. He's reportedly very limited athletically. He sure has looked good in the whole pre-draft process, though, and he'd be a day 1 starter at LG, so I'd be fine with drafting him with our late 2nd round pick...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let Da. Johnson's small school stature scare you off. He's a 2nd round back after that combine performance. With his size and NFL-ready 3-down game (and exceptionally polished receiving skills) he might well wind up being the best back to come out of this draft.

Da. Johnson, Gurley, and Coleman will be the best three from this year's draft, imo. Gordon, imo, is just another Wisco system back...

I was never concerned with where David Johnson came from, however, my take is that smaller school players usually get downgraded a round or two, JMO. I had mentioned Johnson as being a "keep your eye out for him" in the 3rd or 4th rd 4-5 weeks ago when we were discussing Tevin Coleman.

Here ya go tpaul, from Walter

NorthernIowa_logo.gif
David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
up2.gif

David Johnson had an excellent Senior Bowl, and he continued his positive momentum in Indianapolis with a strong showing at the Combine. Johnson ran a 4.50 in the 40-yard dash, and while that doesn't exactly seem very impressive, it must be considered that he did so at 6-1, 224. Also, his 10-yard split (1.57) was the second-fastest behind Jeremy Langford at his position. Johnson then performed well in the field drills, particularly in terms of catching the football. He could sneak into Round 2.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd stay clear of Gurley. At least if I need immediate help in run game. Really have seen a RB be 100% the next fall after a ACL not named AP.

I was in love with him before the injury.

I would grab him and hope he is AP after 6 weeks on the PUP list lol

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem is the difference in speed with the jump up for David Johnson.

I was talking to a guy who's friend lasted only like a year or two in the NFL at RB and he said the game is so fast... You can't wait for the hole to open and then run cause it will already be closed again. You have to guess and expect it to be open by the time you go through it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would grab him and hope he is AP after 6 weeks on the PUP list lol
Me too.

He's the only RB I'd be ok with @ #23. I know he's coming off an ACL, but those aren't what they used to be at all. He would have been a top-ten pick without the injury. Take him and let him start the season on the PUP to finish healing all the way up.

Gurley is hands-down the most talented back in the draft (he's just injured)...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing though, Walter Football doesn't even have David Johnson in their top 100. actually only 93 are listed
#35 Tevin Coleman
#36 Duke Johnson
#41 TJ Yeldon
#49 Ameer Abdullah
#58 Mike Davis
#89 David Cobb

and yet Walter Football pretty much disses Yeldon and Davis in their 2015 RB Combine Stock Report
http://walterfootball.com/combine2015stockRB.php

CBS has Johnson ranked 89th overall
Scouts Inc. has him ranked 138th overall (they haven't updated since late January)
Kiper recently moved David Johnson into his top 10 prospects by position
NFL.com Daniel Jeremiah doesn't have David Johnson in his top 50, yet he does have Boise St Ajayi #37 and Abdullah #40... Gordon #11 and Gurley #13

1. *Melvin Gordon III, Wisconsin
2. *Todd Gurley, Georgia
3. *Tevin Coleman, Indiana
4. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
5. *Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla)
6. David Johnson, No. Iowa
7. David Cobb, Minnesota
8. *Jay Ajayi, Boise St.
9. *Javorius "Buck" Allen, USC
10. Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.

The top three remain the same from the most recent ranking. I do think Gurley still has at least a chance to go in Round 1. After that, Abdullah has moved up ahead of Duke Johnson, and following Duke Johnson is the top riser here, David Johnson out of Northern Iowa. I highlighted him earlier in the season, but he put on a great display at the Senior Bowl and combines a much bigger frame than most realize with great hands and the ability to make people miss.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem is the difference in speed with the jump up for David Johnson.

I was talking to a guy who's friend lasted only like a year or two in the NFL at RB and he said the game is so fast... You can't wait for the hole to open and then run cause it will already be closed again. You have to guess and expect it to be open by the time you go through it.

100% agree with here

The more I ponder the outlook of the RB's this year (I damn for sure don't like guys coming into their rookie campaign off ACL's, especially skillset players) the more I got to agree with Thunder/tpaul on Gurley. There are many players, nowadays, coming back from "their 1st ACL surgery" that don't have much drop-off. Saying that, the one thing about Gurley is he's the prototypical in between the tackle, bruising, power runner, is what makes me more concerned for him as he'll take more of a beating as he runs inside more often than the other rb's like Duke Johnson, Gordon, Abdullah who show more bounce to the outside. Gurley also had the 3 games missed in 2013 due to a high ankle sprain but then again just about every damn player does at some point or many times during their career.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bump Da. Johnson to 5th on that list, he's (a lot) bigger and (a bit) faster than Du. Johnson.

He'd actually be the 4th RB on my board behind Gurley, Coleman, and Gordon (in that order). I'd honestly have a hard time choosing between he and Gordon, if they were both hypothetically available with our 2nd round pick. Gordon's production blows Johnson's away, but Johnson is the more complete back, has a better size/speed combo, and has way less mileage on him than Gordon does...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just an FYI... Abdullah had 24 fumbles and 17 lost fumbles while at Nebraska. I'm not sure why Kiper has him at #4 overall for RB.

I'd actually rank the rb's
#1 Gurley (he's a 3-down back. period)
#2 David Johnson (same as Gurley just not against same level of competition, a 3-down back)
#3 Langford (I don't see that 4.43 speed on the field but he's another 3-down back)
#4 Coleman
#5 Gordon
#6 Cobb (Minnesota another 3-down back but more power than speed)
#7 Ajayi (he has fumbling issues as well but is a 3-down back as well)
#8 Duke Johnson (more like Lions Riddick, IMO)
#9 Abdullah

I'm not really into the gimmicky type RB's like Reggie Bush, Duke Johnson, Abdullah. I'd rather have a rb who can power through holes yet has the vision to see those holes before they actually open up (Gurley, David Johnson, Coleman all do that, IMO)

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree with here

The more I ponder the outlook of the RB's this year (I damn for sure don't like guys coming into their rookie campaign off ACL's, especially skillset players) the more I got to agree with Thunder/tpaul on Gurley. There are many players, nowadays, coming back from "their 1st ACL surgery" that don't have much drop-off. Saying that, the one thing about Gurley is he's the prototypical in between the tackle, bruising, power runner, is what makes me more concerned for him as he'll take more of a beating as he runs inside more often than the other rb's like Duke Johnson, Gordon, Abdullah who show more bounce to the outside. Gurley also had the 3 games missed in 2013 due to a high ankle sprain but then again just about every damn player does at some point or many times during their career.

The only thing I disagree with here is that Gurley is only a power back. The guy can catch as well. Out of all the tape I have seen of him, he never gets caught from behind either. Not sure if you call that "sneaky fast" or what but the dude is fast. Also, he can return kickoffs in a pinch (playoff games). He is the best I've seen since Peterson has come out. He was a top 15 lock before the knee injury. This at least gives us a shot at him.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just an FYI... Abdullah had 24 fumbles and 17 lost fumbles while at Nebraska. I'm not sure why Kiper has him at #4 overall for RB.

I'd actually rank the rb's
#1 Gurley (he's a 3-down back. period)
#2 David Johnson (same as Gurley just not against same level of competition, a 3-down back)
#3 Langford (I don't see that 4.43 speed on the field but he's another 3-down back)
#4 Coleman
#5 Gordon
#6 Cobb (Minnesota another 3-down back but more power than speed)
#7 Ajayi (he has fumbling issues as well but is a 3-down back as well)
#8 Duke Johnson (more like Lions Riddick, IMO)
#9 Abdullah

I'm not really into the gimmicky type RB's like Reggie Bush, Duke Johnson, Abdullah. I'd rather have a rb who can power through holes yet has the vision to see those holes before they actually open up (Gurley, David Johnson, Coleman all do that, IMO)

Interesting list BB. I still can't move Gordon off of the #2 just cause he ran a tenth of a second slower in the 40. He has a lot of wiggle and make you miss in the hole ability. If he ran a 4.45 vs a 4.51, nobody would say shit. .06 of a second is like one false step to the left or right vs running straight down the line.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thunder, in no way was I dismissing Gurley's speed. I'm all too familiar with Gurley's game tape. I was merely attempting to NOT go all BigLar on him (for benefit of SMITTY). Gurley has the power and vision to run inside and yet the speed to bounce outside as well and yes he catches the ball out of the backfield very well too. However, I do not see Gurley with the same foot quickness as say someone like Gordon, Duke Johnson or Abdullah and it's not a bad thing either as Gurley has far more capabilities as a 3-down back than those mentioned above in this post.

I'm not all caught up in these combine #'s (40, 20 shuttle, 60 shuttle, 3-cone) outside of, does player x numbers show nearly the same as on field with pads and live action vs workouts/drills solely. Big difference IMO.

4.52 40 is still plenty fast in my book no matter what position you're playing in the NFL, referencing Gordon's time. The reason why I have David Johnson above Gordon or even Coleman, is the fact No. Iowa used David Johnson much more in 3rd and long passing situations, so he has the experience in pass-pro even at a lower level of competition, than Gordon or even Coleman. Gordon would come off the field quite often in those long passing down situations whereas David Johnson did not. Coleman pretty much stayed in on 3rd down and long as there QB situation at Indiana was in disarray due to being down to their 3rd then 4th qb because of injuries.

Gordon is still an elite talent when you look at his overall game. I just view RB's differently than most others I guess. I want that guy who can stay on the field all downs outside of needing a breather, just like AP or Murray or Lynch. Right now, I would highly question Gordon's ability to do that right off the bat in the NFL. He may surprise though.

End result for me, I wouldn't be upset should the Lions draft Gurley or even Gordon in the first round. I'm much more concerned with the vast gaping hole at DT, needing 2 starting caliber players right now, and after USC Williams, Shelton, Brown or Goldman, the quality of a DT gets thin real quick. Iowa's Davis and Ohio States Bennett are more 2nd round grade and highly likely gone by our pick at #54.

BigLar accomplished without intending to do so.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting list BB. I still can't move Gordon off of the #2 just cause he ran a tenth of a second slower in the 40. He has a lot of wiggle and make you miss in the hole ability. If he ran a 4.45 vs a 4.51, nobody would say shit. .06 of a second is like one false step to the left or right vs running straight down the line.

Gordon had some damn huge a** holes to run through that were already there versus him anticipating them becoming open before he hit those lanes, JMO. Wisky's O-Line just has natural knack every single year for dominating most opponents D-Line. Coleman, IMO, didn't have that going for him.