• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd round dream pick

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd stay clear of Gurley. At least if I need immediate help in run game. Really have seen a RB be 100% the next fall after a ACL not named AP.

I was in love with him before the injury.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not care less how fast a guy can run in a straight line with no pads on. I would not take either Johnson in the second round. They are 3rd and 4th rounders.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the next Matt Forte, imo; small school prospect who is a good runner and great receiving back...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB I watched that Iowa game, as that and the Cyclones gets stuffed down my throat out here.

The rest of his games are usually FCS schools. Like I said, certain positions small school kids do not bother me.

Not sure how long OL Ali Marpet (Hobart)lasts? I would love to see him around 5th or 6th round. I will follow his career, I am sure it will surprise many for being a D3 kid. He will be a decent G/C guy.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let Da. Johnson's small school stature scare you off. He's a 2nd round back after that combine performance. With his size and NFL-ready 3-down game (and exceptionally polished receiving skills) he might well wind up being the best back to come out of this draft.

Da. Johnson, Gurley, and Coleman will be the best three from this year's draft, imo. Gordon, imo, is just another Wisco system back...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd stay clear of Gurley. At least if I need immediate help in run game. Really have seen a RB be 100% the next fall after a ACL not named AP.

I was in love with him before the injury.
He's supposed to be well ahead of schedule in his rehab already, for what that's worth...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not care less how fast a guy can run in a straight line with no pads on. I would not take either Johnson in the second round. They are 3rd and 4th rounders.
I agree they may be later round talent. I never fault a staff for getting there early if he is on there big board and available. I will critique 1st round reaches, after that not so much. The Martin and Freese picks I defended with same logic. One panned out, one did not.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB I watched that Iowa game, as that and the Cyclones gets stuffed down my throat out here.

The rest of his games are usually FCS schools. Like I said, certain positions small school kids do not bother me.

Not sure how long OL Ali Marpet (Hobart)lasts? I would love to see him around 5th or 6th round. I will follow his career, I am sure it will surprise many for being a D3 kid. He will be a decent G/C guy.

I'm actually hoping Mayhew snags Marpet in the 4th rd as he provides quite a bit of versatility OT/OG/OC. He did pretty damn well at the Senior Bowl.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had very good numbers at the combine overall. Probably vaulted himself into the 3 to 5 spot for RBs, since Duke Johnson disappointed, and Coleman hurt his stock by not opting to work out

I think that is way too optimistic for his stock suddenly being elevated that much. I don't think he showed evaluators anything more than they already knew about him from his tape. He may have elevated his stock some but not that much.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping to see Marpet on the board in the 5th for us, given his small school background, so it looks like we're all in the same ballpark the kid. Very versatile back-up with great future prospects, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is way too optimistic for his stock suddenly being elevated that much. I don't think he showed evaluators anything more than they already knew about him from his tape. He may have elevated his stock some but not that much.
I think he was easily a 3rd round back before that stellar combine performance, though. I don't think rising from the early-to-mid 3rd round to the mid-to-late 2nd round is all that big of a jump...

He's a more polished (especially in the receiving game) version of Christine Michael, who went in the 2nd round two drafts ago...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picking 23, 22, 24 in each round puts a damper on whether players will last until next round, IMO. I have no problem with small school players like David Johnson and Ali Marpet but I will state that most scouts and personnel offices will downgrade players, to a certain extent, due to the competition they faced. just sayin' it happens quite often in every single draft. David Johnson is a 3rd round candidate more than a 2nd rd, IMHO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tp

David Johnson just came into the 80's rankings (overall players) for CBS and is still listed as a 4th rounder in espn

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tp

David Johnson just came into the 80's rankings (overall players) for CBS and is still listed as a 4th rounder in espn
I see.

What spot does ESPN pick, again?

:D

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was easily a 3rd round back before that stellar combine performance

While I am not actively studying mock drafts of the several I have looked at the highest he came in at was a mid-fourth rd pick and several others only went four rds and he wasn't in them. Like I said, what did he really show that wasn't pretty much known before the combine? Maybe he showed to be more athletic than anticipated but the tape is still out there for several years of him as a starter. He wasn't even close to a second round pick based off of that pre-combine so to suddenly jump him up to a top 5 back in the draft and a second rd pick I just don't see. I think we would have a good chance for him in the 3rd.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually hoping Mayhew snags Marpet in the 4th rd as he provides quite a bit of versatility OT/OG/OC. He did pretty damn well at the Senior Bowl.

Yes BB, I would like to know why certain kids are in D2 or D3? Some are not talent related...
Whether it be grades or transfer or stealing crab legs and what not.

That kid had great technique all week. His skill set was higher than what you expect from a D3 kid. Would not be surprised he has a dad that was a coach somewhere. About the only knock I see is where he played. It sure is not his skills.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree with you Gandy regarding Marpet. His technique was off the charts, considering a D-III school, from what I saw out of Mobile. He has extremely quick feet, explosion, sinks his hips very well, agile yet powerful

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the record as stated in my first post here... He was a want for me not a dream and not neccasarily a 2nd pick. Just that Duke was not my Johnson.

Sorry to start a talent scout debate.