• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Chicago Bulls vs Cleveland Cavaliers

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish the Cavs wouldn't have gone 3-crazy in the last few minutes. There was a point when they had cut the lead to 4 where LeBron, Kyrie, and Shump all took and missed contested 3-point shots in consecutive possessions. That was very frustrating.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If James score 8-10 more, and Kyrie 8-10 less, it's still the same thing.

Cavs really need Miller ( not happening) or someone else to become a legit scoring threat.
Bulls right now can just focus on stopping 2 players.
They'll live with Shumpert being the 3 rd option.

Bulls had wide open shots all over the court, all night.
If they don't correct that, they won't win the series. Simple as that.

It figured to come eventually come down to team D for the Cavs and it has.

I agree.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest worries after Game 1:
- Gasol is a big problem for the Cavs. He will have no problem continuing to knock down that 12-15 footer.
- Rose looks as "back" as he ever has. Hitting jumpshots and 3's, too.

My looking-on-the-brightside after Game 1:
- The Bulls shot lights out. I just don't see them shooting that well collectively, consistently. Yes, they were getting good looks... but they were shooting lights out even for that. What was it 9-12 from 3 at one point?
- Kyrie was aggressive and successful getting to the rim. He had some very un-Kyrie-like missed layups in the first half... but then settled into his normal mode as one of the best finishers.

My one sentence summation of the game:
The Bulls used great offense and hot shooting to jump out to a big lead... and then answered every single Cavs run with a great run of their own throughout the entire game.
The Cleveland defensive scheme was the reason for the bulls shooting lights out. If you leave players like Dunleavy, Butler, Brooks, and even rose and Hinrich open three pointers, then they will hit them. Cleveland wasn't just leaving them open, they were wide open. On some occasions, they could've caught the ball, taken a quick nap, and then still shot an open three. Gasol was also burning them from the mid range. The next game, I am guessing they will try to take those shots away by playing man and everyone sticking with their man with little help, or rotate so everyone is covered. If they play man with little help, then Mozgov is going to have to have a huge game as a rim protector because Rose and Butler will abuse them off the dribble. If they rotate a lot, then the Bulls will find mismatches and execute.

I expect a close game two. Cleveland will come out on all cylinders, and might build an early lead, but both teams are going to come out hard. One thing I think that is being overlooked is the Bulls didn't even show their whole hand. Thibs didn't play Niko much at all because he didn't need to. The team was providing plenty of spacing without needing a stretch four. I think we'll be seeing him much more as the series goes on. He adds another dimension to the Bulls offense and provides thibs with a curve ball to throw at the Cavs defense.

Personally, I think this Cavs team is a tad overrated. After Kyrie and Lebron they are thin as hell. People keep citing the past Bulls vs Lebron series as a reason that the Cavs could win in 5, but that holds no weight. No post jordan Bulls team has been this talented on offense before. None of Roses Bulls team has even come close. Not to mention those heat teams had Wade, who I would rather have than Kyrie in the playoffs, and Bosh who is better than anything else the Cavs have without love. Those teams also had several shooters, a Tristan Thompson like Udonis Haslem, and were rated amongst the top in the league in defense every year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest worries after Game 1:
- Gasol is a big problem for the Cavs. He will have no problem continuing to knock down that 12-15 footer.
- Rose looks as "back" as he ever has. Hitting jumpshots and 3's, too.

My looking-on-the-brightside after Game 1:
- The Bulls shot lights out. I just don't see them shooting that well collectively, consistently. Yes, they were getting good looks... but they were shooting lights out even for that. What was it 9-12 from 3 at one point?
- Kyrie was aggressive and successful getting to the rim. He had some very un-Kyrie-like missed layups in the first half... but then settled into his normal mode as one of the best finishers.

My one sentence summation of the game:
The Bulls used great offense and hot shooting to jump out to a big lead... and then answered every single Cavs run with a great run of their own throughout the entire game.
Good summary but also I don't think Cavs will get the same production from Iman. I agree bulls might not be that hot every game but if the cavs don't play D it wont matter.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cleveland defensive scheme was the reason for the bulls shooting lights out. If you leave players like Dunleavy, Butler, Brooks, and even rose and Hinrich open three pointers, then they will hit them. Cleveland wasn't just leaving them open, they were wide open. On some occasions, they could've caught the ball, taken a quick nap, and then still shot an open three. Gasol was also burning them from the mid range. The next game, I am guessing they will try to take those shots away by playing man and everyone sticking with their man with little help, or rotate so everyone is covered. If they play man with little help, then Mozgov is going to have to have a huge game as a rim protector because Rose and Butler will abuse them off the dribble. If they rotate a lot, then the Bulls will find mismatches and execute.

I expect a close game two. Cleveland will come out on all cylinders, and might build an early lead, but both teams are going to come out hard. One thing I think that is being overlooked is the Bulls didn't even show their whole hand. Thibs didn't play Niko much at all because he didn't need to. The team was providing plenty of spacing without needing a stretch four. I think we'll be seeing him much more as the series goes on. He adds another dimension to the Bulls offense and provides thibs with a curve ball to throw at the Cavs defense.

Personally, I think this Cavs team is a tad overrated. After Kyrie and Lebron they are thin as hell. People keep citing the past Bulls vs Lebron series as a reason that the Cavs could win in 5, but that holds no weight. No post jordan Bulls team has been this talented on offense before. None of Roses Bulls team has even come close. Not to mention those heat teams had Wade, who I would rather have than Kyrie in the playoffs, and Bosh who is better than anything else the Cavs have without love. Those teams also had several shooters, a Tristan Thompson like Udonis Haslem, and were rated amongst the top in the league in defense every year.

Overrated? With Love and JR this would of been an easy win, bc Love provides a lot more then people think. They basically had 3 guys playing last night that never play: Jones, Miller, and Marion. They had no defensive chemistry and just looked bad, the Bulls couldnt miss it helped the Cavs played no defense. And the Cavs made it a game also. For looking that bad for them to contend is more than I expected, plus Lebron had an overall bad game. The Cavs can win this series without Love.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This cavs team as in what we saw last night? Or this cavs team as in healthy cavs?

Healthy cavs are in no way overrated, they were always thin, but they had just enough depth/quality starters to make a run at it.

the cavs team we saw last night is just flat out bad, I guess I can't say they are "overrated" because I don't think most expected a lot from them w/o JR and Klove.

You take a team that is top loaded and goes 7 deep and take players 3 and 4 off that roster of course they will struggle. thats not some great revelation

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good summary but also I don't think Cavs will get the same production from Iman. I agree bulls might not be that hot every game but if the cavs don't play D it wont matter.

But you cant really expect Lebron to play that bad. He just wasnt connecting with the guys and reading plays wrong. The stats might of looked good but anyone that watched that game, Lebron had a bad one. He missed easy layups and his jumpshot just looked off. I expect there to be defensive changes as a team and Lebron to make some changes as well. It was a BIG Game 1 for Chicago but it's only one game. Once they get JR back, I think it helps them out more than people think. You got another guy that can go off and defend a hell of a lot better than Jones, Miller, or other bench scrubs.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This cavs team as in what we saw last night? Or this cavs team as in healthy cavs?

Healthy cavs are in no way overrated, they were always thin, but they had just enough depth/quality starters to make a run at it.

the cavs team we saw last night is just flat out bad, I guess I can't say they are "overrated" because I don't think most expected a lot from them w/o JR and Klove.

You take a team that is top loaded and goes 7 deep and take players 3 and 4 off that roster of course they will struggle. thats not some great revelation
A healthy Cavs has a shot at the finals, but people think the Cavs without love is a contender. They aren't. Love is a big part of that team. Even with love, I don't think this Cavs team is as good as those heat teams were and also don't think they would be a lock for the finals. The only reason they are hyped right now is because they have Lebron. He's probably the best player in the NBA, but he can't do it with Kyrie and spare parts.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you cant really expect Lebron to play that bad. He just wasnt connecting with the guys and reading plays wrong. The stats might of looked good but anyone that watched that game, Lebron had a bad one. He missed easy layups and his jumpshot just looked off. I expect there to be defensive changes as a team and Lebron to make some changes as well. It was a BIG Game 1 for Chicago but it's only one game. Once they get JR back, I think it helps them out more than people think. You got another guy that can go off and defend a hell of a lot better than Jones, Miller, or other bench scrubs.

This is the most important thing IMO. Is JR an outstanding defender? NO. But he is an above average defender with good athleticism which is a MASSIVE upgrade over those other two.

IMO that matters more than looking at point production and who will score more or less etc

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, before they were thin but had enough, now they have no depth.

Kyrie
Shump
Lebron
Miller
Mozgov

bench:
Delladova
Miller
Marion
Thompson
Perkins

Jones

That's a horrible bench.

With Love and JR.

the bench looks a lot stronger:

Delladova
JR
Shump
Thompson
Perkins

Marion
Miller
Jones

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A healthy Cavs has a shot at the finals, but people think the Cavs without love is a contender. They aren't. Love is a big part of that team. Even with love, I don't think this Cavs team is as good as those heat teams were and also don't think they would be a lock for the finals. The only reason they are hyped right now is because they have Lebron. He's probably the best player in the NBA, but he can't do it with Kyrie and spare parts.

Ok I agree with your first part wholeheartedly. As soon as KLove went down their finals chance went out the window and it is now much more of a "lets get as much playoff experience as possible" type of run. Thats hard to admit, but this team is way too thin (especially with JR out too) to make a run at a 'ship.

I'd say this cavs team (when healthy) is worse than the two heat teams that won the finals. A draw with last year and better than the first year heat team. Love is a way, way bigger loss than people make it out to be.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. You cant win with no depth, but with Lebron you have a chance.

I expect them to get more depth next year, especially if KLove stays. They will have more flex with the cap and can actually go out and get an average bench. They just need an average one to contend for it all.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated? With Love and JR this would of been an easy win, bc Love provides a lot more then people think. They basically had 3 guys playing last night that never play: Jones, Miller, and Marion. They had no defensive chemistry and just looked bad, the Bulls couldnt miss it helped the Cavs played no defense. And the Cavs made it a game also. For looking that bad for them to contend is more than I expected, plus Lebron had an overall bad game. The Cavs can win this series without Love.
This is the only instance that I ever bring up grammar. Would've is a contraction that makes sense, would of makes no sense ever in any sentence. I usually stop reading posts when I see people us of instead of have because it annoys me that much, but I made an exception this time.

Now that I have that out of my system, you included an awful lot of speculation in that statement. You said they had three guys playing that never play? It's called depth. Good teams have it. I thinks the Cavs can still win this series, but the Bulls chances haven't decreased since pre game 1, and I honestly expected them to win the series with Cleveland missing love. If Cleveland had Love, I think the Bulls would still have a chance, but I would favor the Cavs to win. The thing about this Bulls team is few teams have seen it healthy like they are now and that includes the Cavs. They can score in any way possible and play defense with the best. They have players that we haven't even seen yet that can contribute. players like niko, snell, and even Moore can come out and have huge games if need be. The Cavs don't have that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the only instance that I ever bring up grammar. Would've is a contraction that makes sense, would of makes no sense ever in any sentence. I usually stop reading posts when I see people us of instead of have because it annoys me that much, but I made an exception this time.

Now that I have that out of my system, you included an awful lot of speculation in that statement. You said they had three guys playing that never play? It's called depth. Good teams have it. I thinks the Cavs can still win this series, but the Bulls chances haven't decreased since pre game 1, and I honestly expected them to win the series with Cleveland missing love. If Cleveland had Love, I think the Bulls would still have a chance, but I would favor the Cavs to win. The thing about this Bulls team is few teams have seen it healthy like they are now and that includes the Cavs. They can score in any way possible and play defense with the best. They have players that we haven't even seen yet that can contribute. players like niko, snell, and even Moore can come out and have huge games if need be. The Cavs don't have that.

*would have

happy?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*would have

Happy? I dont pay attention to grammar on here, in too much of a rush to post and I'm at work.

Love means more to the Cavs than Bosh did to the Heat, IN THIS SERIES. Bc of the Gasol matchup and how he can stretch the floor. With Love I saw the Cavs winning in 5 maybe 6. Now the Cavs, especially if they go down 2-0, will have a rough time without JR and it will most likely go 7.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. You cant win with no depth, but with Lebron you have a chance.

I expect them to get more depth next year, especially if KLove stays. They will have more flex with the cap and can actually go out and get an average bench. They just need an average one to contend for it all.
I agree, the Cavs will continue to build depth like the heat did, and with the cap going up they will be able to add some pretty significant players. This Cavs team will only get stronger. The Bulls on the other hand might struggle to keep this team together.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*would have

happy?
Yes. I apologize, but I have seen so many people make that mistake before. When I was a grad assistant I graded several academic papers that made that mistake and it carried over to posting on the Internet.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*would have

Happy? I dont pay attention to grammar on here, in too much of a rush to post and I'm at work.

Love means more to the Cavs than Bosh did to the Heat, IN THIS SERIES. Bc of the Gasol matchup and how he can stretch the floor. With Love I saw the Cavs winning in 5 maybe 6. Now the Cavs, especially if they go down 2-0, will have a rough time without JR and it will most likely go 7.
I also don't think JR is going to add anything that Shumpert didn't provide in game one. In fact, if Shumpert plays that way in game two, I think JR would be better suited to come off the bench.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically the only team out of the East I saw beating a team like the Warriors, Clip, or Spurs was a full-powered Cavs roster and even then it would be tough.

I didnt expect the Cavs to win it all this year, but to contend.

They need more depth, but they did all they could do this year getting Shump, Mozgov, and JR. And they remember lost Varejeo, no big surprise. So if they can get another scorer and keep these other guys that bench will be looking pretty good one year in and a little playoff experience.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't think JR is going to add anything that Shumpert didn't provide in game one. In fact, if Shumpert plays that way in game two, I think JR would be better suited to come off the bench.

JR is a better shooter. It isnt about providing something he didnt, it is one extra man. More depth to guard one more athletic Bulls player, it's better than having Miller or Jones out there. Then they can play Shump and JR at the 2 and 3.

And yes JR should come off the bench, Shump is a better defender he should start.