• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2nd Round: Boston Celtics vs Toronto Raptors

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably a witty comment to be made about these NBA players literally living in a bubble right now and also metaphorically living in a bubble...

Anyway, I appreciate that they care. I'm not so jaded that I scoff at them completely and dismiss their talk of boycott out-of-hand... at least I try not to be.

But when I watch the games yesterday, and I heard sideline reporters talk about the social justice in the wake of "yet another" shooting... and then talking heads like Stan Van Gundy talk about social justice... and then various players too... and then serious talk of a boycott... and even seeing Doc Rivers (who I respect) talk about it...

... I have to admit, I was not moved. And I was kinda irked that seemingly more-and-more 'issues' and 'politics' were crammed into my face by a privileged, "bubbled" and often hypocritical (to be blunt) group of elites... during what is supposed to be entertainment time, no less.

Don't get me wrong... I totally concede that some things (many thing, in fact) are more important than sports. But if you take that train of thought and run with it... we should never do sports and never do entertainment and folks should never have any down time because there's always more important stuff to do.

---------

Furthermore and finally, this most recent shooting is ambiguous to say the least. It is not clear evidence of anything... yet folks clearly divine racism and more out of it... and it becomes real hard real quick to even do so little as question the prevailing narrative. I dislike that the whole thing doesn't feel like a conversation... (that's what folks say we need as a society, right?)... and more like a line that you better be on the right side of.
Very well said. Almost feels like if you don't feel exactly how some do you are deemed a racist. It's OK to be outraged about these events but also feel like they might get overblown some....and not be racist or a bad person. Well, you might be a bad person, but not for those sentiments.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably a witty comment to be made about these NBA players literally living in a bubble right now and also metaphorically living in a bubble...

Anyway, I appreciate that they care. I'm not so jaded that I scoff at them completely and dismiss their talk of boycott out-of-hand... at least I try not to be.

But when I watch the games yesterday, and I heard sideline reporters talk about social justice in the wake of "yet another" shooting... and then talking heads like Stan Van Gundy talk about social justice... and then various players too... and then serious talk of a boycott... and even seeing Doc Rivers (who I respect) talk about it...

... I have to admit, I was not moved. And I was kinda irked that seemingly more-and-more 'issues' and 'politics' were crammed into my face by a privileged, "bubbled" and often hypocritical (to be blunt) group of elites... during what is supposed to be entertainment time, no less.

Don't get me wrong... I totally concede that some things (many things, in fact) are more important than sports. But if you take that train of thought and run with it... we should never do sports and never do entertainment and folks should never have any down time because there's always more important stuff to do.

---------

Furthermore and finally, this most recent shooting is ambiguous to say the least. It is not clear evidence of anything... yet folks clearly divine racism and more out of it... and it becomes real hard real quick to even do so little as question the prevailing narrative. I dislike that the whole thing doesn't feel like a conversation... (that's what folks say we need as a society, right?)... rather, it feels more like a line that you better be on the right side of.

Well,

Based on how many of the players feel about these issues,

I doubt we would have NBA playoffs right now if they were not allowed to push social justice narratives.

So there is that.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at bucks boycotting gm

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,

Based on how many of the players feel about these issues,

I doubt we would have NBA playoffs right now if they were not allowed to push social justice narratives.

So there is that.
Yeah, maybe.

It would be an interesting experiment... if it were really tested...

As we all know, it's easy to talk about something... "push a narrative"...

... (and it would be relatively easy and painless to "boycott" a game only to replay that game a day or two later)...

... but if it actually hit them meaningfully in the wallet or something like that... that might be something.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the important question. is the series now 3-2?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe.

It would be an interesting experiment... if it were really tested...

As we all know, it's easy to talk about something... "push a narrative"...

... (and it would be relatively easy and painless to "boycott" a game only to replay that game a day or two later)...

... but if it actually hit them meaningfully in the wallet or something like that... that might be something.
And the guys pushing this most likely can afford it if it hits them in wallet....what about end of bench guys who need the $$ and might be forced to go along?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m on the Celtics bandwagon here but Toronto looks tough gonna be really good series

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like them both. I kinda would love to see Toronto make a run without kawhi

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierce just said Jaylen Brown was better than Kemba and Pascal lol. What a dipshit.

The argument was over Siakam-Brown lol. Pierce cannot control his homerism

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good start for Toronto.

Lowry flopping and not getting calls. Gasol looks like ass

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must challenge. BS 3rd foul on Siakam

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's horrible. Call stands

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking similar to Boston blowout win vs Toronto earlier in the bubble

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierce just said Jaylen Brown was better than Kemba and Pascal lol. What a dipshit.

The argument was over Siakam-Brown lol. Pierce cannot control his homerism

Tough call between Brown and Kemba, IMO. Very different players. Both very good players.

Siakam is better though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brutal first quarter for Toronto.

They will need to hit their threes to win games in this series.