• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2nd Round: Boston Celtics vs Toronto Raptors

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healthy Lowry I'll say Toronto in 7. If not, Cs in 5-6.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To pick against the Celtics is picking against 'Murica dammit!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's in the back of their minds? Why wouldn't they play?

I am assuming because of the police shooting yesterday.

A couple Celtics were in the forefront of the social justice fight. That would be something if they decided sit in protest.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I applaud their consciousness but I have to question what makes these guys think boycotting games is going to move the needle at all on the subject. Most people aren't sports fans, even fewer are basketball fans and almost none of them have any control over social issues.

You guys have supporters but you aren't the social forces you believe yourselves to be. Y'all ain't that important.

And that's before we even get into that whole not-talking-bad-about-the-genocidal-murdering-regime thing that many of these same voices were keen to not offend barely a year ago.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I applaud their consciousness but I have to question what makes these guys think boycotting games is going to move the needle at all on the subject. Most people aren't sports fans, even fewer are basketball fans and almost none of them have any control over social issues.

You guys have supporters but you aren't the social forces you believe yourselves to be. Y'all ain't that important.

And that's before we even get into that whole not-talking-bad-about-the-genocidal-murdering-regime thing that many of these same voices were keen to not offend barely a year ago.

I think every option is on the table, but from what I understand, the “boycott” could just be for show.

They could theoretically stage a walkout for game 1, then come back 2 days later and play game 1.

Whatever they decide, my guess is that both teams are on the same page.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly it. I get it, things absolutely need to chance but these guys are going about it moronically.

They think some fucked up cowardly cop is gonna be like "ahhh maybe I shouldn't pull the trigger this time, Celtics and Raptors may boycott another NBA game"

And George Hill made some comment about how they never shoulda came to the bubble. Honest question, what in the flying fuck would George Hill be able to change as a some rando in a protesting crowd?? The average person has no clue who the hell he is.

If they want to raise any awareness it would be uhh idk maybe when they are on national tv and doing constant press?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the celtics decided to show up then it'll be a dogfight.

these guys really think they are that important? them boycotting a basketball gm will do nothing but have a few tv journalists applaud them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly it. I get it, things absolutely need to chance but these guys are going about it moronically.

They think some fucked up cowardly cop is gonna be like "ahhh maybe I shouldn't pull the trigger this time, Celtics and Raptors may boycott another NBA game"

And George Hill made some comment about how they never shoulda came to the bubble. Honest question, what in the flying fuck would George Hill be able to change as a some rando in a protesting crowd?? The average person has no clue who the hell he is.

If they want to raise any awareness it would be uhh idk maybe when they are on national tv and doing constant press?

Problem is that police standards need to change.

The rioters aren’t going to bring enough awareness to create change.

Can NBA players? Probably not. But they have a better chance than some random dude on the street.

Right now these issues are more important than basketball to a lot of these players.

And I get that.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can NBA players? Probably not. But they have a better chance than some random dude on the street.

Right now these issues are more important than basketball to a lot of these players.

And I get that.

Correct. But George Hill isn't going to bring awareness at all by staying home from the NBA playoffs. Nancy down the street don't know George. So in that moment he is a random dude.

Awareness comes from people being aware of what you are doing, therefore you do it with an audience. So I guess a boycott of some sort could bring some sort of awareness but seems more likely to just rattle people the other way.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. But George Hill isn't going to bring awareness at all by staying home from the NBA playoffs. Nancy down the street don't know George. So in that moment he is a random dude.

Awareness comes from people being aware of what you are doing, therefore you do it with an audience. So I guess a boycott of some sort could bring some sort of awareness but seems more likely to just rattle people the other way.

I don’t disagree with you.

But I also can see what the players are thinking too.

Nothing they have done up until now has brought change. And realistically, even if it does, the type of change these guys are seeking takes time.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably a witty comment to be made about these NBA players literally living in a bubble right now and also metaphorically living in a bubble...

Anyway, I appreciate that they care. I'm not so jaded that I scoff at them completely and dismiss their talk of boycott out-of-hand... at least I try not to be.

But when I watch the games yesterday, and I heard sideline reporters talk about social justice in the wake of "yet another" shooting... and then talking heads like Stan Van Gundy talk about social justice... and then various players too... and then serious talk of a boycott... and even seeing Doc Rivers (who I respect) talk about it...

... I have to admit, I was not moved. And I was kinda irked that seemingly more-and-more 'issues' and 'politics' were crammed into my face by a privileged, "bubbled" and often hypocritical (to be blunt) group of elites... during what is supposed to be entertainment time, no less.

Don't get me wrong... I totally concede that some things (many things, in fact) are more important than sports. But if you take that train of thought and run with it... we should never do sports and never do entertainment and folks should never have any down time because there's always more important stuff to do.

---------

Furthermore and finally, this most recent shooting is ambiguous to say the least. It is not clear evidence of anything... yet folks clearly divine racism and more out of it... and it becomes real hard real quick to even do so little as question the prevailing narrative. I dislike that the whole thing doesn't feel like a conversation... (that's what folks say we need as a society, right?)... rather, it feels more like a line that you better be on the right side of.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I get that.
NBA players not wrong in the sense you cannot tell someone how to feel, but there have been a number of wrongful deaths (yes, some by cops) between Floyd and the most recent that got little to no coverage.