• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: 1) Celtics vs 4) Cavs

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I get Danny Hurley to coach this team and stay at UConn?

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are bad calls every game.

I agree. At minimum of 20

My biggest thing is be consistent both ways

Can't have teams playing with different set of rules. It is just as bad as a home plate ump 2 different zones

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. At minimum of 20

My biggest thing is be consistent both ways

Can't have teams playing with different set of rules. It is just as bad as a home plate ump 2 different zones
Yeah I mean there a lots of missed calls in every game and that is expected but it’s the games that are very lopsided that can’t happen. It can’t happen in a huge playoff game that basically decides your season. Cleveland at home, looked like a road game to me.

The first 3 games there were missed calls and it was pretty even. C’s outplayed them two games, Cavs outplayed them in one. I can acknowledge that. I can’t say the same in this one if I am being honest. I thought both teams coule have obviously played better but they have no control over the calls, the easy calls that the best officials in the world are paid to make.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I mean there a lots of missed calls in every game and that is expected but it’s the games that are very lopsided that can’t happen. It can’t happen in a huge playoff game that basically decides your season. Cleveland at home, looked like a road game to me.

The first 3 games there were missed calls and it was pretty even. C’s outplayed them two games, Cavs outplayed them in one. I can acknowledge that. I can’t say the same in this one if I am being honest. I thought both teams coule have obviously played better but they have no control over the calls, the easy calls that the best officials in the world are paid to make.
There in lies part of your problem. You think these officials are the best in the world. You need to go watch games in Europe and Asia.

I don't blame the officials as much as I do the NBA. The NBA has allowed changes in what should be called and what shouldn't to attract viewership. This goes back to the days after Magic and Bird retired.

Now a days you can dribble with your hand under the ball. Take 3-4 steps after your dribble. Drop your shoulder into a players chest to make separation, camping out in the key, 6 PF before ejection... it goes on and on. It's all about the $ generated by the younger fan.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics 4-0 on the road these playoffs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There in lies part of your problem. You think these officials are the best in the world. You need to go watch games in Europe and Asia.

I don't blame the officials as much as I do the NBA. The NBA has allowed changes in what should be called and what shouldn't to attract viewership. This goes back to the days after Magic and Bird retired.

Now a days you can dribble with your hand under the ball. Take 3-4 steps after your dribble. Drop your shoulder into a players chest to make separation, camping out in the key, 6 PF before ejection... it goes on and on. It's all about the $ generated by the younger fan.

These things you are referencing aren’t on the officials.

They aren’t making the rules. They are calling the game the way they are instructed to call it.

6 fouls makes sense because they play 48 minutes. High school gets 5 fouls in 32 minutes. The rest you have a point. Again though, not on the refs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean…

Really?

Going to get mad at a ref for communicating with a player?

Players need to be able to talk to the refs. Ask questions and get feedback on what calls are. This is what a respectful interaction should look like.

Instead of yelling and screaming at the ref, JB is talking to him.

And if a Cleveland player approached that ref calmly during a free throw, do people actually think the interaction would look different?

Criticize bad calls is whatever. I think you all do it too much.

But you can’t criticize this. It is not at all what the guy who posted it wants to make it out to be.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things you are referencing aren’t on the officials.

They aren’t making the rules. They are calling the game the way they are instructed to call it.

6 fouls makes sense because they play 48 minutes. High school gets 5 fouls in 32 minutes. The rest you have a point. Again though, not on the refs.
We agree that it starts/ed with the NBA. But that's about it.

College plays 40 mins and only allowed 5 fouls. Not sure why you felt the need to use HS as a comparison? Oh wait yes I do.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree that it starts/ed with the NBA. But that's about it.

College plays 40 mins and only allowed 5 fouls. Not sure why you felt the need to use HS as a comparison? Oh wait yes I do.

I have to admit, I misread your post that I quoted. I thought you were blaming refs for those things and you clearly weren’t.

5 fouls is the baseline for what just about every level of basketball uses.

Yes, college is 40 minutes.

I don’t know why anyone would have issue with NBA adding an extra foul in a 48 minute game.

Do we want to see the best players on the court? Or on the bench?

I have even seen people on here advocating for completely eliminating foul outs and instead adding an extra penalty for personal fouls beyond the limit.

I don’t agree with that necessarily, but I also don’t want to see the best players constantly wrestling with foul trouble

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only chance is if Garland and Mobley play ridiculous and Levert, Wade or Strus has one of those great games. I’ve seem Levert go for 40. I’ve seen Strus go for a triple double. Saw Wade go off on the C’s. Extremely unlikely.
almost, I guess.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t beat the refs too. Cmon

Clear goaltending
I know the play you were talking about, too, and yes it was. I mean, not always able to get right in real time but would think this could be something they look at later and change like they do with whether a guy was behind line or not for a 3.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holiday hammered Merril and refs called nothing

Hit the forearm on 3 attempt and nothing lol
anthony seems to be making up rules....."the high five so it's OK rule"?

again, I can see missing in real time but that's illegal what he did so close to releasing the shot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my exact reaction. Said the same you did while reviewing, too. Did anthony play for the Cs and I forgot? He's making up rules for them. That was the "it's the playoffs so the big guy can pretty much land on the little guy" rule.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a defense mechanism. If your team never wins you can just think the refs are why.
I mean, I rarely blame refs (also despite hope of trojan am hetero) but there were some awful calls or missed calls.........But a couple things to your comment. First, wouldn't say we never win (2016?) and still think we'd have lost.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean…

Really?

Players need to be able to talk to the refs. Ask questions and get feedback on what calls are. This is what a respectful interaction should look like.

And if a Cleveland player approached that ref calmly during a free throw, do people actually think the interaction would look different?

But you can’t criticize this. It is not at all what the guy who posted it wants to make it out to be.

agree

As a post player it was hard to do this. But i would bend over grabbing my shorts (during FT shots) and communicate that way. That way no one thinks I'm trying to show him up or doing anything. Just trying to have a convo before shots are administered.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean…

Really?

This guy has been ripping JB all year. He's a talk show guy and as you know most callers and a number of listeners to these shows look for reasons to whine about the coach......even if they have to make it up/exaggerate.

Unless they only watch the cavs and when watching never see the other coach it makes no sense. Nearly all coaches talk to the refs all game and as you mention, many are far worse than this interaction. Players are just as bad. I mean, Tatum was getting a ton of calls but were times he was having a meltdown for not getting the call on all his push offs on drives (OK...didn't need to throw that in).

Now as to JB in general as a coach? Seems like many now believe he's gone after the season. Should he be? I don't think he deserves to be as we improved again as we have every season under him (despite a ton of injuries). But he's nothing special so I wont lose sleep if he's canned. I'm almost inclined to get a newbie than a failed or multiple times failed retread underachiever (even though Bud might have been interesting but taken).