• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$25m signing bonus: parise says wasn't abot money

devil421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Wild dropped nearly $200M in one day and the league won't say shit.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This violates the Kovy clause, as does Philly with the Talbot deal he signed last year. I guess the good news is that lou has some really good cases to be given the lost 1st round pick back.

Talbot earns $9 million over a five year contract. Parisuter earns more than that in the goddamn SIGNING BONUS, don't even try to compare the two. I guarantee you that Philadelphia wasn't trying to gain some crazy type of competitive advantage by paying Talbot more than half his cap hit in the last years of the contract, which ends when he is 33, not 44, unlike the Kovalchuk contract. It was clear cap circumvention in that case. It's not here.

I understand you are pissed about the loss of the pick; I would be too, but the Flyers didn't get penalized because they screwed up by less than half of a percent of the cap on a player who will barring injury or catastrophe, but NOT barring old age, play out the entire contract.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talbot earns $9 million over a five year contract. Parisuter earns more than that in the goddamn SIGNING BONUS, don't even try to compare the two. I guarantee you that Philadelphia wasn't trying to gain some crazy type of competitive advantage by paying Talbot more than half his cap hit in the last years of the contract, which ends when he is 33, not 44, unlike the Kovalchuk contract. It was clear cap circumvention in that case. It's not here.

I understand you are pissed about the loss of the pick; I would be too, but the Flyers didn't get penalized because they screwed up by less than half of a percent of the cap on a player who will barring injury or catastrophe, but NOT barring old age, play out the entire contract.

True, the Pronger deal is a far better example of how Philly circumvented the cap.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, the Pronger deal is a far better example of how Philly circumvented the cap.

Actually, the Pronger deal is not an example of cap circumvention at all. As an over-35 contract, we take the cap hit even if he retires. Granted, he's currently on LTIR, and if you want to argue that teams could use LTIR to dodge the cap I would agree with you, though I can assure you we'd much rather have had Pronger's skates than his cap space against the Devils in round two last year. And you can certainly argue that we ATTEMPTED to dodge the cap but weren't smart enough to realize that Pronger was old enough to trigger the guaranteed cap hit. I believe that was actually the case; our front office can be a bit :loco2: at times. But whether it was attempted circumvention or not, the contract WAS over 35, the Flyers would have paid the entire cap hit of the contract barring injury or trade, and the Devils would very, very, VERY likely not have on Kovy's original deal, which means you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't even care if the deal was circumventing the cap or not. The Devils got punished for violating the "spirit" of the CBA. Its the biggest load of shit that i've heard. There were serious fines and draft picks lost and the league set strict rules on how contracts cannot be structured. Then the following year the league approved a contract that did not meet the restrictions they fought hard to get. I don't have anything against the Flyers for writing that contract. My issue is with the league approving it after all the shit they did to the Devils.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Screw Parise and his contract. Thanks for showing up in the finals and the biggest series in your life.

Spam only

Holy Hell
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the way they are justifying it is with the first 2 year parise is getting 10 mil in bonus and only getting 2 mil as a salary allowing the final 2 years to be for 1 mil

straight bullshit but there will always be a way to get around the rules
might not happen right away but give the gms time and they will figure out a way

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the way they are justifying it is with the first 2 year parise is getting 10 mil in bonus and only getting 2 mil as a salary allowing the final 2 years to be for 1 mil

straight bullshit but there will always be a way to get around the rules
might not happen right away but give the gms time and they will figure out a way

That was my interpretation of the contract. HEY GUYS, IT'S OKAY WE ONLY GAVE HIM TEN SIGNING BONUSES WORTH NINE PERCENT OF THE CONTRACT EACH, IT'S NOT OVER THE TEN PERCENT LIMIT.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was my interpretation of the contract. HEY GUYS, IT'S OKAY WE ONLY GAVE HIM TEN SIGNING BONUSES WORTH NINE PERCENT OF THE CONTRACT EACH, IT'S NOT OVER THE TEN PERCENT LIMIT.

Zach Parise is such a great guy! He took a HUGE paycut just so he can play with his cherished Wild. He only has a yearly salary of $2 million a year!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild's 72 hours of pursuit, anxiety and elation | StarTribune.com

Interesting read on the Parise/Suter signings by Minny. From reading this article I don't think we or anybody else for that matter had much of a shot.

"The numbers turned out to be 13 years and $98 million. The contracts included identical signing bonus structures ($25 million the first three years) and no-trade clauses. Both players could have made more elsewhere. Parise reportedly had been offered $110 million by Philadelphia. Suter was offered more than $100 million by a team Sheehy wouldn't identify.

To make the Minnesota contracts identical, Parise actually took less than the Wild had offered him
"

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's funny he says it was either the devils or wild? Then why up until he signed didn't we learn Pitt and philly was out of it

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it pretty laughable that both Parise and Suter got the same type of contracts..they must REALLY wanted to play together..Parise is a great player but isnt worth 98 mil..and Suter really isnt worth 98 mil.

This reminds me a lot of when the Orlando Magic signed both McGrady and Grant Hill to similar deals..well that didnt work out for em too well. Hope the same happens to the Wild.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They offered Parise MORE? Holy crap.

I was reading an article today that said the Wild hope to attract other top free agents. With what money are they paying them?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I just don't see the wild contending with the likes of vancouver Nashville Detroit st louis Chicago and even the oilers loading up on talent. Not to mention the cup winning kings and the always plagoffs worthy sharks. The west is deeper then the east imo.

East you have flyers pens and only recently Boston nyr. Washington is decent then the usual bottom half. Sens buffalo canes bolts east is easier. Esp if they switch the divisions next year?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup West is deeper , East is stronger at the top..Wild might contend for the 6th-8th seed but they aint taking over Vancouver anytime soon.

The 2 signings are nice for em but it doesnt all of the sudden turn them into contenders.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Parise 'ran the show' + 30 Thoughts | Hockey | CBC Sports

Some interesting things in this article:

...according to one source, after thinking about it, Parise eliminated the Eastern Conference, because, if he was to leave the Devils, he was unwilling to compete directly against them. Then, he dropped the other Western Conference teams and, as he later said on his conference call, it came down to New Jersey or his home state of Minnesota

Fletcher spent over a year working on a plan to get both players, but it became clear to several interested parties that, as Parise returned to his Minnesota home on July 3, "He was driving the bus," as one executive said. "It really became his process." Parise was down to two teams, and you have to believe he knew Suter was in the same position -- with both players having one of them (the Wild) in common. Suter was unwilling to go to the Devils. At that point, Parise basically had three choices: going back to New Jersey, going to Minnesota without Suter or convincing the defenceman to join him there. As Russo reported, he and Arnott did a lot of research into Minnesota's highly rated prospect pool, but Parise knew it would be much harder to win there without Suter.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If winning is important which it seems it is. Why not man up and convice suter to come here and u both play for a team two wins from the cup. Shit he makes it seem like nj to minnesota is a world away! Nowr he gets to play his prime years while prospects come up. If he wins the cup in minnesota i will be amazed

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If winning is important which it seems it is. Why not man up and convice suter to come here and u both play for a team two wins from the cup. Shit he makes it seem like nj to minnesota is a world away! Nowr he gets to play his prime years while prospects come up. If he wins the cup in minnesota i will be amazed

On his July 4 conference call, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Suter wasn't interested in going to the Eastern Conference, a fact the defenceman later confirmed