• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency and Free Agents Signings

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So offer Onwnu more than he’s worth?
That’ll trick him!
Yep, $22.5M a year and show him that you're willing to move up. Going to have to be very careful and not piss him off. Might have to offer him $22M, $23M, $24M and $25M for the fourth year which would bring the money up to $94M Total. Based on the cap and it's average growth, it's fair for both sides. Patriots have to wake up and move their brains into the 21st Century. The league might have to bump the cap 15% every year if they want to be able to pay these guys. They should also have a luxury tax for team that exceed the cap like MLB, NBA and NHL.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, $22.5M a year and show him that you're willing to move up. Going to have to be very careful and not piss him off. Might have to offer him $22M, $23M, $24M and $25M for the fourth year which would bring the money up to $94M Total. Based on the cap and it's average growth, it's fair for both sides. Patriots have to wake up and move their brains into the 21st Century. The league might have to bump the cap 15% every year if they want to be able to pay these guys. They should also have a luxury tax for team that exceed the cap like MLB, NBA and NHL.
Do not need to offer Mike that much to keep him around.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So I am not even going to pretend to know how NFL contracts work and what a reasonable offer is. Issue is it has to be reasonable for both sides, and the down side for any NFL team is if a player is negotiating a second contract. These tend to be the big money contracts and both Oweneu and Duggar would fall into that area if I am correct. At this point Owenu would be the higher priority as he can play H and RT. We can likely get a safety for less in FA or the draft.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he refuses and what? Franchise him at $22.4M? That's what he gets if they franchise him. That's what the average pay is for an average Offensive Lineman. Not an OT, an OL. That's where I came up with 4/$90M. Franchise him in 2024and pay and then what? Franchise him again in 2025? You know that dollar amount is going up at least $2M. Offering him 4/$100M will be cheap in the final year 2027. You don't pay him and he'll walk and so will every other free agent and so Judon and Peppers next year. This no time to be cheap or you'll be signing more Agohlor's or Gisecki's. Maybe they draft a couple more Asiasi's or Frentz's.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am not even going to pretend to know how NFL contracts work and what a reasonable offer is. Issue is it has to be reasonable for both sides, and the down side for any NFL team is if a player is negotiating a second contract. These tend to be the big money contracts and both Oweneu and Duggar would fall into that area if I am correct. At this point Owenu would be the higher priority as he can play H and RT. We can likely get a safety for less in FA or the draft.
The question becomes what kind of contract Onwenu should receive, as that will largely change based on whether he’s viewed as a guard or a tackle. The best comparison is the Green Bay PackersElgton Jenkins, who boasts a similar to Onwenu as a versatile lineman who plays guard and tackle — and well. At 26 years old, the same age Onwenu is now, Jenkins received a four-year, $68 million extension from the Packers, $24 million of which was guaranteed. PFF’s current projection for Onwenu is four years, $58 million, with $33.25 million guaranteed.

1709074436795.png

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he refuses and what? Franchise him at $22.4M? That's what he gets if they franchise him. That's what the average pay is for an average Offensive Lineman. Not an OT, an OL. That's where I came up with 4/$90M. Franchise him in 2024and pay and then what? Franchise him again in 2025? You know that dollar amount is going up at least $2M. Offering him 4/$100M will be cheap in the final year 2027. You don't pay him and he'll walk and so will every other free agent and so Judon and Peppers next year. This no time to be cheap or you'll be signing more Agohlor's or Gisecki's. Maybe they draft a couple more Asiasi's or Frentz's.
Too much

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Southie I disagree. Scar isn't walking back thru those doors. If that's the cost you pay him. Offer him a long term deal if he reuses tag his ass. We've already discussed what he brings to the team. I'd rather tag a vet then sign Alt. Onwenu is proven. It takes a couple years for an Oline to gel. NE has proven over the past few season, piecemealing an Oline together doesn't work. Depending on their draft strategy you take a chance at possibly ruining another QB.

Who knows maybe the new coaching staff thinks they can salvage Mac? Let him play through his last year? If that's the case franchise Onwenu, they have the cap $. Trade #3 and if MJH if there grab him with the pick they receive. Otherwise go best avail on the offensive side. I'd like to grab that stud TE but with no Oline he'd be expected to block and that's his weakness.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look very carefully at the chart that @molsaniceman provided. Notice that every position is distinctly rated. EXCEPT OT, OG, C.

The offensive line is lumped into a single category. OL.

The franchise tag is set at $20.9M. I apologize, the two articles I'd been reading had the position set at $20.4. How about we just call it $21M?

IMO, offering Owenua four year $100M contract and guaranteeing $60M would not only be fair, but would be well within the franchise tag price in 2026. I'd offer Jonah Williams the same deal and have my OTs in place for the next four years. If I'm still alive in 2028, I predict that the going price for a LT will be $30M a year for the best.

1709123582951.png

Think Mac is worth $34.3M??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then don't expect the Patriots to sign anyone. And don't piss and moan if they don't because they don't want to pay. I put this in another thread:

Chris Godwin earns $20 million annually. D.K. Metcalf earns $24 million a year. Mike Evans’ peer from the 2014 draft, Davante Adams, earns $28 million per year from the Raiders. Tyreek Hill breaks the receiver bank at $30 million.

You thin k that the Patriots can sign Mike Evans for less than Tyreek Hill? Justin Jefferson has already told the world that he'll be looking for at least $30M a year when he hit free agency. How many teams do you think will step forward? If Evans wants $30M, the Ridley has to be looking for at least $20M.

I've read four or five different cap numbers for the Patriots ranging from $74M to $84M. I don't think it matters. If they try to get cheap, this team will be in serious trouble. They have to hit free agency hard and then hit the draft with solid picks. Screw around and they screw themselves.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question #786:

How would you feel about Jacoby Brissett being the bridge between the start of the 2024 season and the new rookie being eased into the starting role??????

Brissett hasn't said a word but he's not saying anything and he chuckled when Boston media have asked him whether or not he'd like to come back to Foxboro. Now there's mounting pressure on him and HC Mayo and Elliot Wolfe whether or not Brissett is in the mix. Wolfe and Mayo have been equally evasive. Of course that could be because they could be accused of tampering and the last thing that this team needs is to lose that #3 pick.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayo did a backtrack yesterday on his "Burn some cash" comment.

Don't know if Kraft told him to do it or not. He said that they will not spend money to just spend it. This is where the Packer system came in. He said that there are players on the team that they will be contacting after the Combine. (Owenu, Dugger, Uche?) and will not be throwing large contract offers to anyone. He did say that they are expecting that the cost of free agents went up with the salary cap increase.

He agreed that teams who were planning cuts, now have some wiggle room and the free agent pool is expected to be decreased by as much as 15%. He acknowledged that teams will be making real efforts to resign their own players and others will be driving the price of their free agent players up. One must wonder if Ridley and Evans are no longer in the Patriots' plans. Are we looking more at Gabe Davis types?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots are seriously considering franchising either Owenu or Dugger. Owenu will cost them $21M for 2024 and Dugger will cost $15.4M if they are tagged. Patriots will start contract talks with both AFTER the combine.\
Projected contract (Spotrac): Four years, $54.6 million ($13.6 million annually)