• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free Agency and Free Agents Signings

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now what if he get's taken at number 2?
Confused Threes Company GIF by MOODMAN

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels and Maye have moved past Williams according to a lot comments I've heard and seen and it's only the first day after the Combine..

Wouldn't that be shock if Maye went first, Daniels went second and Williams was suiting there at #3 after all of the dust settled. Still trade #3? Think of the haul of picks and players that the Patriots might be able to get. At least 3 firsts, a bunch of picks and maybe a WR AND a DB. Raiders, Seahawks, Broncos would be interested, especially the Raiders. Hell, the Rams might jump in the mess.
Some of felt it was already that way. Maye and Daniels one and two. Couple this with the fact USC QBs historically suck it's not a good combo. This of course begs the question for us. If Maye and Daniels end up one and two what do the Pats do?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of felt it was already that way. Maye and Daniels one and two. Couple this with the fact USC QBs historically suck it's not a good combo. This of course begs the question for us. If Maye and Daniels end up one and two what do the Pats do?
Wasn't Aikman USC?

Or was he UCLA>>>?

I don't know.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA

Point is historically USC QBs don't fare well.
Copy that.

Well, until I Googled it.

As of 2023, Alabama and Purdue are tied for first in producing the most number of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. As of September 2017, the top five universities in terms of the most NFL quarterback passing yards were 219,064 for Purdue, 183,296 for Notre Dame, 157,855 for USC, 152,627 for Stanford and 142,524 for Washington.

But for SB wins Alabama and Purdue have each sent 3 QB's to the NFL that reached...and won...the big game.
Starr, Stabler and Namath for Alabama and Dawson Griese and Brees for Purdue.

Stanford sent 2. Elway and Plunkett.

BYU sent 2. Young and McMahon.

Notre Dame with 2. Montana and Theismann.

And 20 other schools that only sent 1 QB to the NFL that would win 1 or more Supebowls.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOOD NEWS!!! FINALLY!!!!

NBC Boston is reporting that the Patriots and Kyle Dugger are "NEGOTIATING" extending his contract.
I told you that they had extended an offer. He apparently wants to stay and has countered. Looks like Dugger will be a Patriot into his thirties.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good news, if they can find a happy medium? Pay the dude. Don't be cheap they have the $.Work on Owenu hopefully a long tetm deal or sign him with the tag. Still have $ to make a splash in FA.

FA going to be fun to watch. Will NE jump in the pool early or wait till things settle like years gone by?

A totally new staff, I could see them wanting to be aggressive.

If they do the above AND sign a bride vet QB the draft will get real exciting.

No one really talking much about Wilson. I'm not a fan of his but he did have a decent year in Denver. I'd take him and his problems over Brisset or Flacco. But prefer them to go after Cousins or Mayfield if their stradegy is to get a bridge QB.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact: Patriots offered Dugger a contract in the $13M AAV range.

Reportedly: Dugger countered with a $17M AAV proposal.

$13M is considered low for him and the position with the franchise number at $15.2.

If the above is true, then Dugger knows that he should be able to move the Patriots up to the $16M AAV number or close to it. He also knows that his age (28) is working against him AND that his value is higher with the Patriots than anyone else.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson is being released by the Denver Broncos. No one would even offer a 2035 7th round pick for him. Why?
The Broncos will pay him $35M in 2024 and $50M in 2025. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little noises are bubbling that the Patriots just might offer him 2 years and $15M for two years so he will average $50M a year.

Not sure if Wilson would be as good mentor for a rookie QB.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact: Patriots offered Dugger a contract in the $13M AAV range.

Reportedly: Dugger countered with a $17M AAV proposal.

$13M is considered low for him and the position with the franchise number at $15.2.

If the above is true, then Dugger knows that he should be able to move the Patriots up to the $16M AAV number or close to it. He also knows that his age (28) is working against him AND that his value is higher with the Patriots than anyone else.
I think 16 mil is reasonable.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 16 mil is reasonable.
I agree. Just pisses me off that they lowballed him at $13M knowing that the franchise number (Average salary of top 10 in the position) is above $15M. Why insult anyone with an IQ above 42? I'm surprised he didn't say FY and walk away completely.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Just pisses me off that they lowballed him at $13M knowing that the franchise number (Average salary of top 10 in the position) is above $15M. Why insult anyone with an IQ above 42? I'm surprised he didn't say FY and walk away completely.
I am certain him and his agent understand the game of it all. I suspect they were expecting a low offer.

cheerupcharlie

Correcting BK on the daily
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Just pisses me off that they lowballed him at $13M knowing that the franchise number (Average salary of top 10 in the position) is above $15M. Why insult anyone with an IQ above 42?

For starters, he’s not a top 10 player at his position. I’ve looked at multiple websites that have him ranked between 18-21. I’ve found just 1 that put him at #10. What they offered him seems fair.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they offered him seems fair.
The point I'm making is that they were considering franchising him "if" Onwenu was re-signed. That would cost them $15.2M. The increase in the cap also effects a player's value in he and his agent's opinion. In today's market and what everyone knows will be an inflated free agent market, $13M is a lowball number. Since they know that he wouldn't accept that, they should have offered him $14M - $14.6M as the opener. No one knows what he came back with, but one can assume somewhere between $17M-$18M. I have to agree with Reb and not go above $16M or 3/$48M with $30M guaranteed. If he's healthy and playing at the same level in 2027, try to sign him again. If not, See Ya.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point I'm making is that they were considering franchising him "if" Onwenu was re-signed. That would cost them $15.2M. The increase in the cap also effects a player's value in he and his agent's opinion. In today's market and what everyone knows will be an inflated free agent market, $13M is a lowball number. Since they know that he wouldn't accept that, they should have offered him $14M - $14.6M as the opener. No one knows what he came back with, but one can assume somewhere between $17M-$18M. I have to agree with Reb and not go above $16M or 3/$48M with $30M guaranteed. If he's healthy and playing at the same level in 2027, try to sign him again. If not, See Ya.
It seems you value your knowledge of players value.
Not sure where you get this knowledge?
Are you basing it on the franchise tag value?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you basing it on the franchise tag value?
Yes. If a team has decided to franchise a player, they have to pay him a predetermined salary.
25-30% of free agents would never be franchised and cannot expect that rate. Those that believe they are due that money set the franchise rate as their bottom line. Dugger may not be one of the top safeties but also plays LB in some sets. Not all of the top 10 play anything but FS or SS.
For Dugger and Onwenu I set the franchise salary as the floor.

My value for other players and position is open to argument. The best example is Cousins and Mayfield. Everyone says that Cousins will get $40M and Baker will get $30M. My first offer to Cousins would be $28m and my limit would be $35M and I would not go past 3 years with either and I wouldn't guarantee more than half. Mayfield would start at $20M and I wouldn't go higher than $25M. Cousins is coming a torn Achilles and Mayfield had Evans and Godwin to bail his ass out. My value system may be different than yours, but I think you can see my reasoning.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty that sounds kind of shitty. The "Transition Tag" we can keep you off the market and pay you less. It screams we know we want you, but we don't want to pay current value

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty that sounds kind of shitty. The "Transition Tag" we can keep you off the market and pay you less. It screams we know we want you, but we don't want to pay current value
Looks like they don't want be caught in trying to keep up with the market on both Dugger and Onwenu. Onwenu won't negotiate and wants to see what people will dump at his feet. He'll keep the Patriots in tow and when all is said and done, they will either swallow the rock or spit it out.
Tyson Smith is up there but the Patriots will pay him to pay and mentor a new LT. Jonah Williams knows that the Patriots want him too and now it looks like he'll be on the right side if they can't sign Onwenu. I think your $16M will be the landing spot, maybe a bit more.