• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2023 Western Conference Finals: 1) Nuggets vs 7) Lakers (Bubble Rematch)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m the Lakers, I put Vanderbilt on Jokic. Jokic needs to be defended as if he’s a unique perimeter player that has the ability to post. Vanderbilt’s one of the top 5 guys out there to be able to handle the perimeter while also bringing size. This allows them to hide AD on Aaron Gordon and be a rim defender. The tougher cover for the Lakers in my eyes is Murray. So maybe the Lakers don’t see it my way and put AD on Joker so Vanderbilt can play Murray. It will be interesting to see how they play it.
The best defense of Joker though is likely at the offensive end with either DLo/AD pick and roll or LeBron/AD pick and roll. Jokic can be victimized in pick and roll. One of two things will happen. Either you get Jokic in foul trouble limiting his minutes or he’s worried about getting in foul trouble so he isn’t as aggressive playing it. You’ll get a lot of drop coverage for either Bron/DLo/AD midrange.

Either way…the reason I’ve been bullish on the Lakers since making the playoffs after the play in is that when you look around, they’re the only Western squad with a plus level playoff caliber defense.

If the Sixers should be lucky enough to advance in Game 7. I will be rooting for the Nuggets in this series because I think the Lakers defense makes them the tougher draw for the Sixers.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best defense of Joker though is likely at the offensive end with either DLo/AD pick and roll or LeBron/AD pick and roll. Jokic can be victimized in pick and roll. One of two things will happen. Either you get Jokic in foul trouble limiting his minutes or he’s worried about getting in foul trouble so he isn’t as aggressive playing it. You’ll get a lot of drop coverage for either Bron/DLo/AD midrange.

Either way…the reason I’ve been bullish on the Lakers since making the playoffs after the play in is that when you look around, they’re the only Western squad with a plus level playoff caliber defense.

If the Sixers should be lucky enough to advance in Game 7. I will be rooting for the Nuggets in this series because I think the Lakers defense makes them the tougher draw for the Sixers.
Very good analysis and I agree.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You confident Philly gets past Miami?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You confident Philly gets past Miami?
Brother, if the Sixers can advance having gone 3-1 in the Boston Garden slaying their nemesis with 2 James Harden 40+ games, 2 James Harden game winners, and a win without Joel Embiid, then I fear no remaining scenario for them. Heat Sixers would be a war but I think they match up pretty well vs the Heat. Also, Playoff Jimmy hasn’t been Playoff Jimmy since the ankle. Herro’s health will be important plus what will he be like with his shooting stroke coming back. Herro gives the Sixers fits. Heat have been hurt in the regular season by Maxey. Additionally, this time around the Sixers have PJ Tucker, not the Heat. The Heat limited Harden in their series last year with Tucker picking Harden up full court, being physical and just fucking with him. Caleb Martin can play that role now but not to the extent that Tucker could.

But I’m putting the cart before the horse here. Sixers have to win Game 7, a Herculean task.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brother, if the Sixers can advance having gone 3-1 in the Boston Garden slaying their nemesis with 2 James Harden 40+ games, 2 James Harden game winners, and a win without Joel Embiid, then I fear no remaining scenario for them. Heat Sixers would be a war but I think they match up pretty well vs the Heat. Also, Playoff Jimmy hasn’t been Playoff Jimmy since the ankle. Herro’s health will be important plus what will he be like with his shooting stroke coming back. Herro gives the Sixers fits. Heat have been hurt in the regular season by Maxey. Additionally, this time around the Sixers have PJ Tucker, not the Heat. The Heat limited Harden in their series last year with Tucker picking Harden up full court, being physical and just fucking with him. Caleb Martin can play that role now but not to the extent that Tucker could.

But I’m putting the cart before the horse here. Sixers have to win Game 7, a Herculean task.
And it's assuming they win game 7

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m the Lakers, I put Vanderbilt on Jokic. Jokic needs to be defended as if he’s a unique perimeter player that has the ability to post. Vanderbilt’s one of the top 5 guys out there to be able to handle the perimeter while also bringing size. This allows them to hide AD on Aaron Gordon and be a rim defender. The tougher cover for the Lakers in my eyes is Murray. So maybe the Lakers don’t see it my way and put AD on Joker so Vanderbilt can play Murray. It will be interesting to see how they play it.

Agree, although I'd have Vando guard Joker on the perimeter and have AD pick him up in the paint.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit, it's worked twice so far...

Lakers in 6.
I believed in the beginning the Lakers could fun the west IF AD played like a grown man but I picked against him bc I was certain he wouldn’t.

I’m taking LA in 6 now again wouldn’t be surprised if Denver won this one

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, although I'd have Vando guard Joker on the perimeter and have AD pick him up in the paint.
I like that idea with scheme. I think in the guts of the game late I would go LeBron on Murray Vando on Jokic and AD available to roam off of Gordon. I mean if Gordon beats you with shot making in the 4th quarter you tip your cap to him. I don’t think it’s sustainable to get them 4 wins in 7 games. Another option is late game have LeBron be Point LeBron and substitute Schroeder’s defense for Reaves so he can check Murray.

Murray is the X factor. As he goes, so goes the Nuggets. Jokic got 50+ in a loss vs Suns. Murray is the guy. Jokic is gonna get his. In fact, if you make Joker a scorer for them it’s taking away what he does best.

Long story short, the Lakers have defense in waves now with athleticism all over the roster to defend at a high level. Ham has some real options to test and fool around with until he finds winning combos.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, is ANY team in the NBA "built, not bought" these days...?

Asking for a friend...:D
I think you’d have to say that’s the Nuggets. MPJ Murray Jokic were all draft picks. Their bench is guys they grew. They only acquired Green Brown and KCP through trade/FA. I think you can be built not bought still when what you “bought” was just role players to round out the roster.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 2 games will decide series. Denver hold serve then they win imo. A split will be Lakers in 6

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 2 games will decide series. Denver hold serve then they win imo. A split will be Lakers in 6
I think it’s more likely to be a steal of Game 2 for any team that catches the Nuggets with home court. The body likely needs a game to adjust cardiovascularly to the altitude in Denver. Being used to competing in that atmosphere is a nice extra advantage for home court they have.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda feeling the same
This is the first series that will actually test Jokic as a defender. Vs Minnesota you had a team that isn’t much of a pick and roll team and you can hide Jokic on Gobert. The Suns didn’t have any chemistry with their pick and roll and their best pick and roll decision maker in CP3 got hurt. Prior to getting hurt in Game 2, CP3 was starting to rock that midrange at the elbow with Jokic in drop vs pick and roll.

Lakers can run pick and roll with their pieces. LeBron is a great decision maker. But the better plan of attack is to work AD in the post vs Jokic.