• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 MLB Amateur Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like most scouts see Eldridge as a hitter rather than a pitcher. He is a lefty power hitter.

Not a fan of drafting a 1B in the first round, but if he makes it, it will be good regardless. And his size at 1B can really help defensively.

Strong rumors that Martin was a potential target for the Giants @ 16. And if he has been linked to the Giants before the draft, you have to assume he should be an early sign.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Whitman LHP

4th yr Jr from Kent St

He was talked about as going in the bottom portion of the 1st round, so getting him in the comp portion of round 2 is pretty good value on the surface.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first take…

I HATE two-way players. But it is too early to be irritated with this pick since we have no idea what the org wants to do with him, or what he wants to do with his career.

As a pitcher, he is a hard throwing 6’7” with 2 pitches already (FB, slider), and a developing change. For a HS kid, that is promising. As a hitter, I am not a huge fan of really tall players, but as a 1B, that could be very helpful. No idea what his strengths as a hitter are, though. My ignorant guess is that they will try to develop him as a pitcher.

16. San Francisco Giants: Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison (Va.) HS​

Who is Eldridge? The top two-way prospect in this class, the 6-foot-7 Eldridge wants to play both ways in pro ball, though his draft stock is slightly higher as a hitter than on the mound. At the plate, he combines big-time power with strong contact rates -- especially for a young hitter at his height -- while on the mound, he complements a mid-90s fastball with a strong slider.

Why the Giants took him here: This is pretty interesting. For the second draft in a row, the Giants announce their first-round pick as a two-way player, after taking UConn P/1B Reggie Crawford 30th last year. Eldridge is a hulking young hitter who says he modeled his swing after Bryce Harper's -- and he brings that type of power potential. The Giants have missed on some college hitters in recent years (Hunter Bishop, Joey Bart), so they're going for more upside here in taking a high school player in the first round for the first time since Heliot Ramos in 2017. -- Schoenfield
52. San Francisco Giants: Walker Martin, SS, Eaton (Colo.) HS
69. San Francisco Giants: Joe Whitman, LHP, Kent State

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day two --

3rd round Foster, SS Jr
4th round Ahuna, SS Jr.

SS tend to be the best athletes on their HS teams, but these are college guys. Maybe the same theory? If they can handle short, they can kind of play anywhere?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day two --

3rd round Foster, SS Jr
4th round Ahuna, SS Jr.

SS tend to be the best athletes on their HS teams, but these are college guys. Maybe the same theory? If they can handle short, they can kind of play anywhere?
That has always been my take. Even in the minors, players stick at SS, even when it becomes clear that is not where they project as a major leaguer. Panik, iirc, played SS all the way through AAA. Luciano still plays SS now (I expect him to be an OFer in the bigs). Matt Williams came up as a SS. Same concept with catchers (Mitchell came up as a catcher/SS and future HOF 3B Buster Posey learned the game as a catcher).

If you are looking to populate your organization with athletes, look at the athletic positions (up the middle - C, SS, CF).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has always been my take. Even in the minors, players stick at SS, even when it becomes clear that is not where they project as a major leaguer. Panik, iirc, played SS all the way through AAA. Luciano still plays SS now (I expect him to be an OFer in the bigs). Matt Williams came up as a SS. Same concept with catchers (Mitchell came up as a catcher/SS and future HOF 3B Buster Posey learned the game as a catcher).

If you are looking to populate your organization with athletes, look at the athletic positions (up the middle - C, SS, CF).
The laugh is based on the bolded.

Sure, you'll get some athletes, but will they hit enough to get to the big leagues, especially if they get moved elsewhere on the diamond?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The laugh is based on the bolded.

Sure, you'll get some athletes, but will they hit enough to get to the big leagues, especially if they get moved elsewhere on the diamond?
That’s always the rub in the baseball draft. And specifically, when drafting HS players. Skills vs tools is a debate that has always been argued.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matt was a college SS who a) had hair and b) hit the longest HR I ever gave up.

Phuker

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 2 SS, the Giants took

Junior 2B
Junior C
Junior OF
JuCo P
Senior 3B
Senior P

not a high schooler in the bunch. Interesting.
First pick tomorrow will be fun. 11th rounders don’t have pool-funds attached, so paying them is a different scale from the first 10 rounds (I don’t remember the specifics, but I know it is a thing). Typically high ceiling players with signability issues are taken in the 11th.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First pick tomorrow will be fun. 11th rounders don’t have pool-funds attached, so paying them is a different scale from the first 10 rounds (I don’t remember the specifics, but I know it is a thing). Typically high ceiling players with signability issues are taken in the 11th.
Interesting indeed. In the past 5 years, the Giants have picked the following in the 11th round:
David Villar (2018)
Trevor McDonald (2019)
n/a (2020)
Donovan McIntyre (2021)
Sam Bower (2022)

The Giants hit on the pick in 2018 (even if Villar doesn't do much more in the big leagues). McDonald is in the ACL right now and has yet to advance beyond high A ball. McIntyre is also in the ACL and yet to get above low A ball. Bower is injured this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
202311330San Francisco Giants
Team Logo of San Francisco Giants
Jack PaytonCLouisville4YRKYN

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Sorry to burst your bubble.
I have a drawer full of burst bubbles. I just hope I have room for this one and the many more to follow.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 5 rounds to go, the Giants have picked the following:
Pitchers - 7 (including Eldridge)
Catchers - 2
Infielders - 6 (including Eldridge)
Outfielders - 1

4 year colleges - 11
junior colleges - 2