• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would love to have him come to the Cowboys but first thing I thought when I heard he was released was that Philly will sign him. I think Howie signs him by mid week

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would love to have him come to the Cowboys but first thing I thought when I heard he was released was that Philly will sign him. I think Howie signs him by mid week
I don’t know what he’s got left. He has played with little on field impact this season. I don’t think this signing makes a difference unless there’s an eye on decent back up in case you take further injuries to an already banged up position.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know what he’s got left. He has played with little on field impact this season. I don’t think this signing makes a difference unless there’s an eye on decent back up in case you take further injuries to an already banged up position.
Yeah, that's likely why he wasn't claimed, but the salary played a role. The question is what can he provide in a rotation on a good team. If he can still rush the passer a little as part of a rotation OR play off the ball at or even slightly below an average NFL level he can help a team. I don't think there is any question he can be a low end starter or help in a rotation because I think he already was that this year and now may have some extra motivation, but he isn't going to be a game breaker of course. If he only cost a team $1M to $2M for the rest of the year he would have been claimed. I think his floor is an average player which to me makes him worth signing. What his ceiling is for this year I just have no clue.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that @DJ has not seen every one of Chase Young's plays. We have and this guy is not the guy many believe him to be. But I do agree that pass rushers get over paid due to demand. But is Sweat, a guy who has average 7.5 sacks a season, considered a pass rusher worth of $25 million/year? I don't think he is..
Screenshot_20231124-111841~2.pngAdding him helped a lot.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 346995Adding him helped a lot.
Yeah I knew i'd hear from you. Obviously I didn't get the chance to watch all of his plays and I am aware he got a sack and a 1/2. But I did get a chance to watch him the other night and he was shut out, no sacks no assist didn't really get close to the QB. I'm not convinced he was the reason they have had so many sacks recently.

It was a great trade for the Ninerers. No doubt he will help them. But it was the right move for Washington. His contract was up and there's no way he is worth the amount he's going demand so they got the best offer.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know i'd hear from you. Obviously I didn't get your chance to watch all of his plays and I am aware he got a sack and a 1/2. But I did get a chance to watch him the other night and he was shut out, no sacks no assist did really really get close to the QB. I'm not convinced he was the reason they have had so many sacks recently.

It was a great trade for the Ninerers. No doubt he will help them. But it was the right move for Washington. His contract was up and there's no way he is worth the amount he's going demand so they got the best offer.
It will not last but he is a huuuuuuuuuge reason for them averaging 5 sacks per game since the trade.

His personal stats do not matter. It is not always about the player's individual stats.

It's the grand scheme of things. Just having a player his caliber over there that helps, drawing attention and diversion and sech.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will not last but he is a huuuuuuuuuge reason for them averaging 5 sacks per game since the trade.

His personal stats do not matter. It is not always about the player's individual stats.

It's the grand scheme of things. Just having a player his caliber over there that helps, drawing attention and diversion and sech.
If stats don't matter how can you keep trotting out how many sacks he was on pace for for the year?

This is conventional wisdom, and no doubt it's true. And I did see them chip with a back every now and again. But from what I have seen I didn't see them sliding protection his way, with Bosa on the other side

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Often overlooked by the stat mongers.

Niners used to have a DT that was never talked about, but to me was the key to the Niners always winning the trenches. His name. Justin Smith. The guy was a straight stud, that was underappreciated.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 5 games Sweat and Young have combined for 7 tackles and 2.5 sacks. For those numbers Washington was expected to pay $50 million/year after committing big cap numbers to Payne and Jon Allen. Yeah I'm good with the trades.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough to gauge. They completely changed the defense while he was recovering from the nerve injury. So it could be a case that he is just no longer a scheme fit instead of not having it anymore. He is still only 28.