• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions prospects

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a fat safety basically.

R.09f00d6e9f34074d3e925835c7e19ca5

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why dont you like D Jackson? I think he might fit at least a role on this defense. Never seen any ST though. He would need that to make the team.
ALL of the following

In the open field, Jackson struggles to break down to execute the tackles This results in him overrunning the ball-carrier at times or he launches at the ball-carrier in what ends up being an inefficient attempt at the tackle.

Jackson has long lower limbs and appears to have slight hip stiffness that affects his ability to cover receivers in man-to-man situations.

When Jackson has to move laterally, it exposes some of his limitations as an athlete. Jackson is an efficient player when he has to play in the box, but when it is a play that involves Jackson playing outside of the box, his hip stiffness shows itself. When in sideline pursuit, Jackson gains an upright posture, and upon arriving to the ball-carrier, he struggles to break down and make a proper tackle. This issue makes Jackson an inefficient tackler outside of the box.

has a limited amount of athleticism. This limitation comes from what appears to be some stiffness in his hips.

Versatility: Jackson doesn't have positional versatility

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capture.PNG - 3.PNG

The slot defender today exists on a thin line between the third linebacker and third cornerback, and Jalen Pitre has played in both of those roles in his career at Baylor. He collected 59 career run stops (29 tackles for loss or no gain) and received a positive grade on 12% of his 678 run-defense snaps. For reference, linebacker prospects Channing Tindall, Chad Muma and Christian Harris each logged a positive grade on 14% of their career run snaps.

Playing for Dave Aranda/Ron Roberts and Phil Snow, Pitre spent much more time in split-safety coverages than single high, but he has a keen sense of route concepts and how to get into throwing windows, allowing a 56.0 passer rating in two-high zone coverages and getting his hands on 16% of his coverage targets.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^ Lions coached Safety Pitre at Senior Bowl

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capture.PNG - 4.PNG

Kerby Joseph‘s 2021 film displays his pop, and he is a prime example of hidden gems in the college ranks who have to develop before stepping into the best version of themselves. His coverage grade jumped significantly in each season, from 44.6 in 2019 to 68.5 in 2020 to 90.4 in 2021. His wingspan resembles that of a shooting guard or small forward, and his range is that of an outfielder. He has logged the reps needed to apply his athletic gifts to his understanding of how to defend the pass, making him an ideal fit in this defense as a “high/deep” safety.

Across 299 career snaps aligned in the middle of the field or on the hash, 39% of his coverage targets resulted in a forced incompletion or a turnover, and only three turned into completions of 15-plus yards. Joseph has never allowed a touchdown in this position, and college quarterbacks generated a lowly 23.4 passer rating whentargeting him deep down the field. Joseph doesn’t carry the same kind of cache as the other defensive backs at the top of the draft, so don’t be surprised if he blows up in the regular season and people discuss him as one of the biggest sleepers in this class.

Lewis Cine is a personal favorite, in production and play style. There’s a dearth of enforcer-type safeties in football, and while Cine may not look the part, his contact stops all forward progress from ball carriers. He can extend his ability as a tackler and coverage defender to the perimeter or deep down the field, but in this exercise, he’s ideally cast as a “dime backer,” spending the majority of his time in the box.

Across 124 career run-defense snaps in the box, he missed only one tackle and received a positive grade on 10% of those snaps. His tackling abilities extend beyond the run game, with no misses in coverage on his 194 snaps as a box defender. If Cine needed to push out into the slot, he can handle the job, recording a 79.2 passer rating allowed and no touchdowns. He flies around the field with reckless abandon and has enough of a refined skill set to be utilized in whatever role is necessary, from the box out to the sidelines.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think drafting a swing OT would be of greater need than iOL, however, either could be beneficial. iOL Kraemer is an ERFA. OT Matt Nelson is an ERFA and only played well as an 6th OL and not as a starting RT when Decker was out with an injury and Sewell had to occupy that LT.

OT Will Holden is an RFA.

OT Dan Skipper did sign a Futures Contract.

I prefer Erik Schlitt's picks - minus Kinnard - over the others.

Lions starting five from the Senior Bowl

Suggested by Erik

LT Spencer Burford, UTSA (6-foot-4, 293)
LG Ed Ingram (LSU, OG, 6-foot-3, 317)
C Luke Fortner, Kentucky (6-foot-4, 302)
RG Cade Mays, Tennessee (6-foot-4 1⁄2, 321)
RT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky (6-foot-5, 324)

Ok, I’m cheating here by picking multiple guys, but I thought it was worth recognizing the players that the Lions coaches selected to be their starting offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. If these are indeed the players the Lions prefer, that could be good news as Kinnard is the only one projected to be drafted on Day 2, and the rest are considered Day 3 options, which would best suit the Lions' needs.

We talked about Kinnard earlier. Burford is a tackle/guard hybrid player who is athletic enough to push Nelson for the OL6 role. Ingram played both left and right guard at LSU, and has the pass protection chops to challenge for a starting job. Fortner is a center/guard option that the Lions could target if they fail to retain Evan Brown. Mays has experience playing all five offensive line positions, but I like him best at right guard, and if the Lions draft him, he could challenge to start in 2023.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think drafting a swing OT would be of greater need than iOL, however, either could be beneficial. iOL Kraemer is an ERFA. OT Matt Nelson is an ERFA and only played well as an 6th OL and not as a starting RT when Decker was out with an injury and Sewell had to occupy that LT.

OT Will Holden is an RFA.

OT Dan Skipper did sign a Futures Contract.

I prefer Erik Schlitt's picks - minus Kinnard - over the others.

Lions starting five from the Senior Bowl

Suggested by Erik

LT Spencer Burford, UTSA (6-foot-4, 293)
LG Ed Ingram (LSU, OG, 6-foot-3, 317)
C Luke Fortner, Kentucky (6-foot-4, 302)
RG Cade Mays, Tennessee (6-foot-4 1⁄2, 321)
RT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky (6-foot-5, 324)

Ok, I’m cheating here by picking multiple guys, but I thought it was worth recognizing the players that the Lions coaches selected to be their starting offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. If these are indeed the players the Lions prefer, that could be good news as Kinnard is the only one projected to be drafted on Day 2, and the rest are considered Day 3 options, which would best suit the Lions' needs.

We talked about Kinnard earlier. Burford is a tackle/guard hybrid player who is athletic enough to push Nelson for the OL6 role. Ingram played both left and right guard at LSU, and has the pass protection chops to challenge for a starting job. Fortner is a center/guard option that the Lions could target if they fail to retain Evan Brown. Mays has experience playing all five offensive line positions, but I like him best at right guard, and if the Lions draft him, he could challenge to start in 2023.
Luke Goedeke. I am not sure hebis not the better central Michigan tackle, but can be drafted way later.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hypothetical draft move would surely excite @Mebert and @Old Lion

Jeremiah, a former NFL scout, ruled it down to two options: Michigan EDGE Aidan Hutchinson or Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton. He made it clear Hutchinson was the top choice and could very well be the No. 1 overall pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“If Hutchinson’s off the board and he’s gone, if he goes one, I would have no issues whatsoever with them taking Kyle Hamilton and saying this is a plug-and-play guy who’s going to give them something they desperately need, and that’s somebody that can make a play,” Jeremiah told reporters via Zoom. “In a different draft, where maybe you had some guys at a different level of grades, then you could say, ‘okay, well, I’ll lean towards the edge rusher, positional value, all that stuff.’ But I think Kyle Hamilton stacks up really well with everybody in this draft.”

In a later answer, he addressed the Hutchinson vs. Kayvon Thibodeaux argument. Jeremiah wasn’t that bullish on Thibodeaux, who has been a popular projection for the No. 2 pick as well. He noted that Hutchinson, “plays a lot harder on a consistent basis” and has “more explosive power” in his hands.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The “conventional wisdom” Jeremiah refers to, is that a player who lines up off the ball isn’t as valuable as players on the line of scrimmage and therefore they tend to not be drafted highly. The last safety to be drafted in the top five was Eric Berry (Chiefs) in 2010 and the last to be selected in the top two was Eric Turner (Browns) in the 1991 draft.

I tackled this debate a few weeks back, exploring the historical “hit rate” and “financial impact” of drafting a safety versus an edge rusher high in the draft. Long story short, 99 times out of 100 it’s smart business to take the edge rushers, with the only exception being if a unicorn is available.

So, is Hamilton that unicorn?

“I think this kid (Hamilton) is pretty unique,” Jeremiah continued. “He’s so tall and long and rangy. The ability to make plays from the deep middle as well as to drop down and play down low and be a physical player, he can erase tight ends.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hypothetical draft move would surely excite @Mebert and @Old Lion

Jeremiah, a former NFL scout, ruled it down to two options: Michigan EDGE Aidan Hutchinson or Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton. He made it clear Hutchinson was the top choice and could very well be the No. 1 overall pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“If Hutchinson’s off the board and he’s gone, if he goes one, I would have no issues whatsoever with them taking Kyle Hamilton and saying this is a plug-and-play guy who’s going to give them something they desperately need, and that’s somebody that can make a play,” Jeremiah told reporters via Zoom. “In a different draft, where maybe you had some guys at a different level of grades, then you could say, ‘okay, well, I’ll lean towards the edge rusher, positional value, all that stuff.’ But I think Kyle Hamilton stacks up really well with everybody in this draft.”

In a later answer, he addressed the Hutchinson vs. Kayvon Thibodeaux argument. Jeremiah wasn’t that bullish on Thibodeaux, who has been a popular projection for the No. 2 pick as well. He noted that Hutchinson, “plays a lot harder on a consistent basis” and has “more explosive power” in his hands.
I would resign Harris and hope Romeo ends up OK. Draft Hamilton. Safety is a heavily important position in this defense.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for CB Tariq Woolen to go shooting up the boards after the combine. He is 6'4" and expected to be low 4.3's on the 40.