• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors:
Giants prospect Heliot Ramos injured his oblique during instructional league play, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Ramos should be good to go for spring training, with the only real concern stemming from the fact that he suffered a similar injury back in February.

I put this here because there is an outside chance he makes the team sometime in 2021. Theoretically, he could have been in AAA by the end of 2020, had there been a minor league season. If he stays healthy, plays well in AAA (if there is a minor league season in 2021) and someone on the big league club either gets injured or doesn't hit, he could be making his big league debut next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors:
Giants prospect Heliot Ramos injured his oblique during instructional league play, per Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Ramos should be good to go for spring training, with the only real concern stemming from the fact that he suffered a similar injury back in February.

I put this here because there is an outside chance he makes the team sometime in 2021. Theoretically, he could have been in AAA by the end of 2020, had there been a minor league season. If he stays healthy, plays well in AAA (if there is a minor league season in 2021) and someone on the big league club either gets injured or doesn't hit, he could be making his big league debut next year.
I think there is a better than even chance he gets his cuppo in ‘21. I actually have it penciled in.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a better than even chance he gets his cuppo in ‘21. I actually have it penciled in.
I wonder how much the Giants push Luciano to see if he can step in as early as 22 or if they need a get a stopgap (or pursue an extension with Crawford).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much the Giants push Luciano to see if he can step in as early as 22 or if they need a get a stopgap (or pursue an extension with Crawford).
Hard to opine on that one without any minor leagues to even see how he is progressing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors released their projected arbitration numbers. They used 3 different methods to come up with 3 sets of numbers. The methods are:

• Method 1: Applies model directly with actual statistics from this 60-game season
  • Method 2: Extrapolates all counting stats to would-be 162-game totals. One home run becomes 2.7 home runs.
  • Method 3: For non-first-time eligibles, finds the raise they’d get in a 162 game season, then gives them 37% of that raise
The full article can be found here. Below are the numbers for the Giants' arb eligible players (I've added yours at the end of each player to compare with their projections):

• Daniel Robertson – $1.2MM / $1.3MM / $1.1MM / $1.2MM
  • Tyler Anderson – $2.4MM / $4.3MM / $3.7MM / $2.5MM
  • Alex Dickerson – $2.0MM / $3.3MM / $1.8MM / $1.5MM
  • Jarlin Garcia – $900K / $1.3MM / $900K / $800K
  • Trevor Gott – $700K / $1.0MM / $700K / $800K
  • Reyes Moronta – $800K / $800K / $800K / $800K
  • Wandy Peralta – $1.0MM / $1.2MM / $1.0MM / $1.0MM
  • Austin Slater – $1.1MM / $1.7MM / $1.1MM / $800K
  • Donovan Solano – $2.2MM / $3.8MM / $2.3MM / $2.0MM
Thanks for this! I was pretty close...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for this! I was pretty close...
You were spot on with other predictions on a few of them and close on many others. About the only ones that you may have been considered off (too low) on were 3 position players.
With all the uncertainty that this year brings, it will be interesting to see how arbitration shakes out. Teams (especially the Giants) tend to stay away from the process, deciding to sign something beforehand. However, just like many other teams, the Giants have a lot more arb eligible guys this year and may opt to non tender or just run through the process to see if it works in the team's favor.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What think you all about the idea of picking up Hand for 10m for 2021? On one hand, the Giants could use someone like him in the bullpen and staking a claim would ensure no competition that could raise his price but, on the other hand, teams are already dumping relievers like crazy and its very possible that the Giants could get a reliever of his caliber for less than 10 million (which may mean that teams pass on him completely and wait to see what he can be had for on the open market). Is he worth a waiver claim in this climate?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What think you all about the idea of picking up Hand for 10m for 2021? On one hand, the Giants could use someone like him in the bullpen and staking a claim would ensure no competition that could raise his price but, on the other hand, teams are already dumping relievers like crazy and its very possible that the Giants could get a reliever of his caliber for less than 10 million (which may mean that teams pass on him completely and wait to see what he can be had for on the open market). Is he worth a waiver claim in this climate?
I would think so.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Giants splurge this offseason or do they wait for next offseason? I would assume the latter as the ownership will want to see how money shakes out in 2021 (better, worse or the same as 2020) and 7 payers on the team become free agents (although 3 have team options for 2022 - Posey, Cueto and Flores).
It is interesting to note that the Giants have 2 players that would be free agents after 2022 (Dickerson and Longoria - and Longoria has a team option for 2023).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over the 40 man roster, it does not appear that the Giants need to let go of anyone to activate the guys who opted out of the 2020 season or who are on the 60 day IL. Currently, there are 38 players on the 40 man roster. Of those 38, 4 will be free agents at the conclusion of the World Series (Cahill, Gausman, Smyly & Watson; not counting Samardzija, who is already off the 40 man). The Giants have 2 players on the restricted list (Posey & Humphreys) and another 4 players on the 60 day IL (Rickard, A. Garcia, Moronta & Beede). All those moves would put the roster right at 40 players.

Assuming that the rules won't change between now and the end of November, the players that will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft that the org may have to seriously consider protecting are: Camilo Doval, Gregory Santos & Alexander Canario.

Further assuming that these 3 players get protected, the Giants will have to dfa 3 additional players. Here is my list of likely dfa's (or non-tenders) this offseason: Rickard, Duggar, Shaw, Heineman, Basabe, Gott, Banda, Suarez, Coonrod & R Garcia.
An update on guys eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Below is a list of those who have become eligible for the Rule 5 draft (assuming that MLB counts 2020 as a year of playing time):
Kervin Castro, sp (had a nice season in Salem-Keizer in 2019)
Camilo Doval, rp (was on taxi squad toward end of 2020)
John Gavin, rp (had a horrible season in San Jose in 2019 and was moved to bullpen)
Marco Gonzalez, rp (was decent in 2019 - in the AZL)
Francis Pena, rp (rather poor numbers in the AZL in 2019)
Aaron Phillips, sp (was okay with San Jose)
Frank Rubio, rp (pitched well with SJ but stalled in Richmond)
John Russell, rp (pitched great prior to 2019 but looked bad, when healthy, with SJ in 2019)
Gregory Santos, sp (had a great end of the season with Augusta)
Tyler Schimpf, rp (not sure why still in org, must have filthy stuff)
Matt Seelinger, rp (only positive is he struck out a lot of batters with Augusta)
Jeffry Parra, c (.567 OPS with Augusta)
Shane Matheny, 2nd (.637 OPS with Augusta, but did end 2019 with an .887 OPS in 14 games with San Jose)
Frankie Tostado, 1st (.740 OPS with Augusta)
Bryce Johnson, of (combined .346 on base between San Jose and Richmond)

Upon further review, Alexander Canario is NOT eligible for the Rule 5 this offseason. It looks like the Giants will carry, at most, Doval and Santos on the 40 man roster.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I see it now (assuming 26-man roster)

SP
Gausman
Cueto
Anderson, T
Webb
Suarez

Bully
Moronta
Peralta
Rogers
Selman
Coonrod
Anderson, S
Garcia, J
Baragar

Catcher
Posey
Garcia, A

Infield
Belt
Solano
Crawford
Longoria
Vosler
Flores

OF
Yaz
Dick
Dubon
Slater
Ruf

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure we need 1 or 2 more SP (Beede will probably not be ready out the gate, so his starts will need to be accounted for).

That bully is a complete unknown. Getting Moronta back will be great, but who knows if he will be the same pitcher he was before. We have lots of home-growns to fall back on, though. Maybe 1 or 2 guys to anchor the back end?

I expect BU catcher to come from outside the system. Tromp is a dime-a-dozen player and Garcia wasn’t that great even before the injury.

Infield depends a lot on potential trades. Just about everyone will be shopped pretty hard, I assume.

Yaz, Dick and Dubon is a capable OF, but not overwhelming. There is room for improvement there. Slater and Ruf and Duggar are fine as depth.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure we need 1 or 2 more SP (Beede will probably not be ready out the gate, so his starts will need to be accounted for).

That bully is a complete unknown. Getting Moronta back will be great, but who knows if he will be the same pitcher he was before. We have lots of home-growns to fall back on, though. Maybe 1 or 2 guys to anchor the back end?

I expect BU catcher to come from outside the system. Tromp is a dime-a-dozen player and Garcia wasn’t that great even before the injury.

Infield depends a lot on potential trades. Just about everyone will be shopped pretty hard, I assume.

Yaz, Dick and Dubon is a capable OF, but not overwhelming. There is room for improvement there. Slater and Ruf and Duggar are fine as depth.
A Garcia has a nice 2018 season but struggled in a 42 at-bat 2019 season. Still, his .689 OPS in 37 big leagues games is not bad for a back up. The Giants may not be able to find a better hitting catcher on the free agent market.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those names inspire confidence... or fear.
Our top 2 are OK. I have hope for Webb in the future. Beede should be ready sooner rather than later. Maybe Hjelle will be ready to compete for innings? Anderson didn’t confuse anyone with Kershaw, but he was a capable #3/#4 in ‘20.

We certainly need help to make it a playoff rotation, no doubt. But it isn’t a complete wasteland.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB TradeRumors suggests that the Giants have 4 non-tender candidates - Daniel Robertson, Tyler Anderson, Trevor Gott and Wandy Peralta.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB TradeRumors suggests that the Giants have 4 non-tender candidates - Daniel Robertson, Tyler Anderson, Trevor Gott and Wandy Peralta.
Kinda surprised to see Peralta and Anderson on that list. And what little I saw of Robertson I kinda liked.