• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess now is not the time to make a joke about Dash taking unauthorized daguerreotypes of women in his youth?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest frustration with the Mailloux situation is that it just perpetuates the culture which we’ve spent the past week (years, really) trying to detoxify. I honestly want the kid to have another chance, but to me, it’s not really up to him or the 20 powerful (likely straight white dudes) to make that choice. That’s really on the victim, who legitimately said his apology was tepid at best, and others came when he was getting pressure from elsewhere to protect his image. I want him to see what he did was wrong, and why. Seems like he’s getting there, but pretty sure I don’t want him learning and maturing under Bergevin.
Secondarily, this is ANOTHER opportunity to discuss the culture of the sport. I know it’s not just hockey, but…I do work around locker rooms and don’t hear this kinda stuff nearly as much. The guy made this choice and sent it to his team, clearly thinking it was accepted and laudable behavior. Big red flag. I’m hoping it came to light because teammates thought he was an idiot…but hard to believe this comes from nowhere, you know? You don’t go into the office and show coworkers a lewd picture if you’re not pretty confident it’s going to be well received. THATS the systemic problem. Calling your teammate a f** FOR BEING ASSAULTED is the problem. For a sport that talks about team chemistry and intangibles all the damn time, there’s sure a lot of toxic people around.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest frustration with the Mailloux situation is that it just perpetuates the culture which we’ve spent the past week (years, really) trying to detoxify. I honestly want the kid to have another chance, but to me, it’s not really up to him or the 20 powerful (likely straight white dudes) to make that choice. That’s really on the victim, who legitimately said his apology was tepid at best, and others came when he was getting pressure from elsewhere to protect his image. I want him to see what he did was wrong, and why. Seems like he’s getting there, but pretty sure I don’t want him learning and maturing under Bergevin.
Secondarily, this is ANOTHER opportunity to discuss the culture of the sport. I know it’s not just hockey, but…I do work around locker rooms and don’t hear this kinda stuff nearly as much. The guy made this choice and sent it to his team, clearly thinking it was accepted and laudable behavior. Big red flag. I’m hoping it came to light because teammates thought he was an idiot…but hard to believe this comes from nowhere, you know? You don’t go into the office and show coworkers a lewd picture if you’re not pretty confident it’s going to be well received. THATS the systemic problem. Calling your teammate a f** FOR BEING ASSAULTED is the problem. For a sport that talks about team chemistry and intangibles all the damn time, there’s sure a lot of toxic people around.
He's was 17 and did something wrong and stupid. Hopefully it was a mistake and he can learn from it and not the beginning of becoming a terrible person. Teens, male teens especially are quite stupid when it comes to sex and relationships. Most grow out of it. He may or may not.

The overreactions here are hilarious. Fire the gm for the pick? Fine the team? Compare him to a bigoted 25 year old who physically attacked another person? For a non violent act a 17 year old did?

Maybe that's the issue. If It was a violent act the hockey community would probably be much more accepting of it.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's was 17 and did something wrong and stupid. Hopefully it was a mistake and he can learn from it and not the beginning of becoming a terrible person. Teens, male teens especially are quite stupid when it comes to sex and relationships. Most grow out of it. He may or may not.

The overreactions here are hilarious. Fire the gm for the pick? Fine the team? Compare him to a bigoted 25 year old who physically attacked another person? For a non violent act a 17 year old did?

Maybe that's the issue. If It was a violent act the hockey community would probably be much more accepting of it.
They’re different, but come from the same place. A feeling of entitlement over someone else, of power, of no consequences. I’m sincere when I say I want him to have a chance. But when he told teams to not draft him, showing a shred of maturity, I think he needed that. For more than one reason. Again, it cycles back to a culture, and it doesn’t bode well that Bergevin (and plenty of others in that room) are apparently tone deaf.

edit: one add too…just because this wasn’t violent doesn’t mean it won’t have that kind of outcome. This is how you create lifelong trauma in a victim. Which can have pretty awful results.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re different, but come from the same place. A feeling of entitlement over someone else, of power, of no consequences. I’m sincere when I say I want him to have a chance. But when he told teams to not draft him, showing a shred of maturity, I think he needed that. For more than one reason. Again, it cycles back to a culture, and it doesn’t bode well that Bergevin (and plenty of others in that room) are apparently tone deaf.

edit: one add too…just because this wasn’t violent doesn’t mean it won’t have that kind of outcome. This is how you create lifelong trauma in a victim. Which can have pretty awful results.
Oh I'm sure sports culture in general is tone deaf on things like this. Maybe not. You would know better than I.

I'm just not going to agree that this is equal to a violent assault*, or that it means he will be a terrible person for life. No one knows.

And victims of non violent crimes can have trauma, that's true. Hopefully she has a support system that emphasizes she did nothing wrong and while it might seem like a big deal now, and what doesn't when you're 18, in the long run it doesn't have to matter.

People should be happy about the Canadiens picking him. Someone was going to. Since everyone "knows" he's a terrible person and will be for life, just sit back and watch the Habs number 1 pick implode.

*I don't think it's as bad as what Peyton did some here love him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess now is not the time to make a joke about Dash taking unauthorized daguerreotypes of women in his youth?

It was quite scandalous when I would insist that the ladies show a little ankle.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was quite scandalous when I would insist that the ladies show a little ankle.
Now, hold this pose for the next 6 minutes. Why? No reason.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was drafted by the Flames this weekend.

Heard old French goalie prospect Axel Becouze recommended picking him.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was drafted by the Flames this weekend.

Well played good sir!!!

You are a very worthy adversary

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well. I think they’re just going to roll with all the bad PR at once I guess.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
embrace the hate.

I'm assuming that started with the Corey Perry signing working out OK.

Im actually starting to really hate them.. and not in a rival way. like they are pathetic for what they are getting involved in. Winning shouldn't come at these costs....

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Let me see if I can just sneak this in here while everybody's occupied by free agency."

3. We have asked Logan not to participate in our rookie or main training camp this fall. Being a player in the NHL is a privilege that is earned - not a right that is granted. As the year progresses, we will reassess Logan's readiness to be part of our organization.

AbleFickleFirecrest-size_restricted.gif