• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where you are coming from and as a coach of high school hockey and having a son who played high school hockey I think what he did is far more prevalent than people think. My son told me that in his high school group text he saw pictures of other players girlfriends'. On my team we sat a kid for 3 games for just talking about a female teammate inappropriately.

But there are three major issues here that make this one of the dumbest things any GM has done, in like ever.
1) The kid shows remorse, but I think it's more that he got caught. Would he "stand up" like this if there wasn't any punishment from authorities? Doing the right thing in the absence of any other option and doing the right thing because it's the right thing are totally different.

2) The league has a problem with this kind of behavior. Brandon Leipsic, Patrick Kane, Slava Voynov are all stories that got out. The league wants to be inclusive of all fans, and half of all hockey fans are women. To reward this by making him a first round selection is disgusting. I am all for second chances (with a very big hammer if they fuck it up), but this is just wrong.

3) Marc Bergevin was in the Blackhawks front office during the time one of their players was allegedly being r*ped by a coach. The evidence points to everyone knowing and looking past it, even bringing fallout down on the victim which is part of the culture problem in hockey (and other sports too, I get that *cough*Gym Jordan*cough*). It's been there for a long time. Going back to Graham James in Junior and everything that Theo Fleury went through. So for a guy who was at best stupid and not paying attention to at worst looking the other way to essentially say "I don't think this particular form of sexual assault is so bad" is intensely tone deaf and probably just made a big portion of the case against Chicago.

Bergevin should be fired, and this kid should get a 20+ game ban to start his NHL career. Someone has to be the face of it. Someone has to be the point where the league says "enough".

This is excellent. Only thing I would counter is not 20+.. I would give home an entire year from any league and then review..

I would also punish the Canadiens on top of Bergevin. I can't believe they did this ...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is excellent. Only thing I would counter is not 20+.. I would give home an entire year from any league and then review..

I would also punish the Canadiens on top of Bergevin. I can't believe they did this ...

After all the good will the Habs built up and being the feel good story of the playoffs, Bergevin goes and flushes it down the toilet.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all the good will the Habs built up and being the feel good story of the playoffs, Bergevin goes and flushes it down the toilet.
And you have to think that he cleared it with ownership first so they are 100% fair to attack. If not then Bergevin should not be starting this day employed

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have to think that he cleared it with ownership first so they are 100% fair to attack. If not then Bergevin should not be starting this day employed

Pro tip: If you have to release a statement explaining why you selected somebody, it likely wasn't the best decision.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro tip: If you have to release a statement explaining why you selected somebody, it likely wasn't the best decision.
They released it rather quick didn't they? They thought long and hard about this and still did it... the victim should sue them for pain and suffering for rewarding her assailant

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Habs hired Sean Burke, had noted interest in Tony DeAngelo and Slava Voynov, the Chicago thing, now this…

This is really on brand for them at this point.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn’t seen this nugget.

Yeah. Women who are victims of stuff like that do tend to be a little angry about it.

"Ruin his life". Fuck outta here with that you dickhead.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona drafts Josh Doan. Pretty cool.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably going to get shit for this.

I need you guys to understand that I was raised in Respecting Women and treating them like the treasures like they are.

I DON'T CONDONE ANYTHING THE KID DID. VERY IMMATURE AND CHILDISH

However, What did the kid did after that impressed me.

HE TOOK HIS SHIT LIKE A MAN.

he told teams "don't draft me."
He took himself out of the draft. Some of the best things to happen in a young players life gone just like this

Sassy Tyra Banks GIF

Wouldn't have been gone, he would have re-entered the draft next year. Could something bad have happened in that year? A possibility, sure. That's not even to mention the fact that what he did had no official impact, he basically just told everyone to take him off their boards when half of them had already done so.

That it's very immature and childish to take non-consensual sexual pictures of an underage girl and show/distribute them to adults are about the calmest adjectives I might use.

That's another detail here that I don't think people are thinking about much. The girl as I understand it was not 18, right? This was a pro team, I'm sure there were dudes over 30 looking at this.

He didn't really "take his shit" I don't think (even putting aside the fact that what he did changed and did nothing and he was still drafted). It looked like a PR move to push this question down the road, display some (sincere or not) contrition and widen the pool and raise his draft spot by hoping that more teams would decide to put him back on their boards next year. Does that sound kinda harshly skeptical? I think you get what you deserve and he would have had a year to prove I was wrong.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably going to get shit for this.

I need you guys to understand that I was raised in Respecting Women and treating them like the treasures like they are.

I DON'T CONDONE ANYTHING THE KID DID. VERY IMMATURE AND CHILDISH

However, What did the kid did after that impressed me.

HE TOOK HIS SHIT LIKE A MAN.

he told teams "don't draft me."
He took himself out of the draft. Some of the best things to happen in a young players life gone just like this

Sassy Tyra Banks GIF
Honestly having never heard of this person and not even knowing the draft was yesterday- I got my initial knowledge of him from this board. I thought he killed someone or something.

I'm not condoning it at all, and I don't think they should have picked him, but he was 16 (if my math is correct) and did something stupid. Maybe that's a preview of who he will be as an adult, or maybe it was a stupid teenager thing. I don't know and no one else does either.

But who am I but a poster with questionable ethics, intelligence, and morals?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly having never heard of this person and not even knowing the draft was yesterday- I got my initial knowledge of him from this board. I thought he killed someone or something.

I'm not condoning it at all, and I don't think they should have picked him, but he was 16 (if my math is correct) and did something stupid. Maybe that's a preview of who he will be as an adult, or maybe it was a stupid teenager thing. I don't know and no one else does either.

But who am I but a poster with questionable ethics, intelligence, and morals?

You are definitely excused for not knowing about him, I mean it is getting difficult to keep track of all of the sex offenders in our favourite sport these days :wink:

What a fun joke to make, I'm gonna go throw up