• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA Offseason

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that surprised at Melo but I thought Ellington would be their sniper at SG.

Ellington's good bench depth. I wouldn't start him, but that's just me.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baze is a solid defender. Starting Ellington means you have 2 weak defenders

Yeah, you need balance. With a starting 5 that includes Lebron, Melo, AD and Russ, the Lakers aren't exactly starving for offense. Having Baze in the starting lineup so he can be the primary defender on the opposite team's number 1 is ideal.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never was a big fan of Pablo Torre, and his reaction to that blurb confirms it. Again, I think Kyrie loves that he's in this position, he wants to make money while not playing basketball. But the fact that if you don't take this vaccine (if we want to call it that) and you could lose your job and you want to fight that, I'm all for it.

But going back to the original point, it's the only way Kyrie will be taken serious with his stance at this point.

I'm in favor of businesses, sports leagues and even local cities and counties making their own mandates re: vaccination, masks, etc. because they know what's going on in their area. That's for them and their customers/citizens to sort out. But I can see where that can be problematic for folks who have to travel for work.

Agree re: Kyrie. We have enough instances of him just not wanting to play that it makes this hard to buy as being anything other than that. Want to be taken seriously? Quit stealing money from the Nets, become a full time activist and live off of your investments and Uncle Drew residuals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baze is a solid defender. Starting Ellington means you have 2 weak defenders

Yeah, I could see him in sort of a "Devean George with the 2003-'04 Lakers" role. Basically, play good defense, grab a rebound or 2 and be ready when one of the stars remembers you're out there and gives you the ball.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing with the Lakers, while the roster is definitely old, it's also very deep. In theory, assuming everyone is as "on board" as they are all saying, they should be able to use that depth to keep guys from wearing down too much over the course of the season.

The trick for the Lakers coaches will be keeping everyone happy enough that no one starts bitching about minutes/touches.

Reactions: DJ

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellington is a weak defender? LOL.

Actually a solid and under-rated defender.

I don't keep up with Ellington, but from his Heat days, he wasn't the best defender. Maybe he's improved, I don't know. But I do agree with bks on that topic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the 5th spot, and maybe the 4th and 5th spots will be somewhat interchangeable depending on the opponent and who is playing well.

For example, there may be games against more traditional centers where the Lakers may start Dwight at the 5 with AD sliding to the 4. So you may have a lineup of:

Dwight
AD
Lebron
Baze/Ellington
Westbrook

Against a team with a more modern center, it may be:

AD
Lebron
Melo
Baze/Ellington
Westbrook

There may be times when we see Monk or Nunn in the starting lineup or Rondo starting at PG with Westbrook playing the 2.

Lots of options available.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 5th spot, and maybe the 4th and 5th spots will be somewhat interchangeable depending on the opponent and who is playing well.

For example, there may be games against more traditional centers where the Lakers may start Dwight at the 5 with AD sliding to the 4. So you may have a lineup of:

Dwight
AD
Lebron
Baze/Ellington
Westbrook

Against a team with a more modern center, it may be:

AD
Lebron
Melo
Baze/Ellington
Westbrook

There may be times when we see Monk or Nunn in the starting lineup or Rondo starting at PG with Westbrook playing the 2.

Lots of options available.
True.

That is what I love about this team. Lots of options.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Reaves won't get much PT but he looks like he can be a solid player a few seasons from now. He has looked good in preseason.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't keep up with Ellington, but from his Heat days, he wasn't the best defender. Maybe he's improved, I don't know. But I do agree with bks on that topic.

Yeah, I see Ellington as the Lakers version of Lemon Pepper Lou. Instant offense off the bench. DJ is right that he's a little underrated as a defender, but I think Baze is still a better overall defender.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

That is what I love about this team. Lots of options.

The only thing that concerns me is that there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" or "having too many choices". The trick will be establishing a rotation where guys can develop some rhythm while still being able to tweak it without messing up the rhythm.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes he is a weak defender. Lebron doesn't usually guard the best permiter players so you are now asking Ellington or Melo to stop the top scorers in the league. Need to have someone who is a solid perimeter defender starting with Bron.

The following was posted on a lakers site last year when there were talks about them getting Ellington during the trade deadline:

How bad is Ellington on the defensive end? Thus far this season, he has posted a -1.7 Defensive Box Plus/Minus this season and has never posted a positive DPBM throughout his career. For comparison’s sake, the worst DBPM for a rotation player on the Lakers this season is Kyle K

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that concerns me is that there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" or "having too many choices". The trick will be establishing a rotation where guys can develop some rhythm while still being able to tweak it without messing up the rhythm.
There will be load management and injuries during an 82 game season....it will work out.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think it’s a true mental health issue.

To me it looks like he wants to stand out. If someone says one thing, he has to say the opposite. He’s getting a ton of publicity from this. And at this point I really think he doesn’t truly believes all the crap he’s coming out with

Gotta say that's a good point. Can't remember what show I was watching yesterday. But someone on espn said if you put Kyrie's brain in a bird it would fly backwards.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is likely the lakers opening night lineup

Russ
Bazemore
Melo
James
Davis

More likely Baze starts at the 3 IMO. He's going to be full time at the 3 with THT and Ariza out and the Lakers have plenty of other options at the 2.