• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA Offseason

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oubre back to GS!
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still want Melo, Gay, and a backup PG (Mills?), then re-sign THT.
Backup PG is huge imo. Mills would be big. I would take Gay over Melo but Melo’s improved 3 ball makes it tough to choose

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be happy with Baze. Brings more to the table than Green or Ellington imo
I watched Baze all year last year and I would disagree. Especially considering their roles, I’d prefer those other guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna learn a lot about Melo right here. How much does he value money. How much does he value having a championship on his resume.

What can the Knicks offer him at this point? Can't be much more than the Lakers

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,471.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Baze all year last year and I would disagree. Especially considering their roles, I’d prefer those other guys.
Yeah. Baze isn't that good IMO. Saw a lot of him last year and a ton when he played for the Lakers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna learn a lot about Melo right here. How much does he value money. How much does he value having a championship on his resume.

They were saying earlier that he is the only banana boat guy that hasn't been to the finals.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random Day 1 (so far) thoughts:

-Heat coming out big winners so far. Lowry deal. Duncan back. Butler locked up long term. I'm not super high on PJ, but its just like I said back when he was available for teams at the deadline; he's basically washed but all you really hope from him is that he can frustrate a star for a game or two in the playoffs. That's exactly what happened with the Bucks against Durant and it worked for them.

-Biggest WTF contract so far for me is Fournier to the Knicks. I thought the Knicks had new management and were actually good? That was a move the old Knicks would have made.

-Spurs with a couple of head scratchers too. I'd totally take a flier on Zach Collins. Kid has a lot of talent but AWFUL injury luck. But it'd be a 1 year, prove it deal. Not 3 years for 22. Wtf

-Speaking of WTFs, what is New Orleans doing? Are they actively trying to drive Zion out of town? I somewhat understand letting Lonzo go at that price. Graham is an underrated player. But none of this feels like they're doing anything to get better.

-Shocked Jeff Green left the Nets. He was pretty important to them. Its surprising the Nets in general haven't been all that active getting vets or their own back besides Blake Griffin.

-Caruso :( :( :( I don't understand the Lakers not signing him back. Unless Caruso flat out refused to go back, they could afford to bring him back for the number he ended up with at Chicago. I'd let him walk at anything north of 10 mil, but he's a very good defensive player and the team still needs defensive guards. It sounds like they didn't put up much of a fight to keep him. You let him walk away for 9 mil per for nothing? COME ON

-As for the other Lakers moves, I love having Dwight back. I like the Ellington signing and hopefully he doesn't forget how to shoot since apparently the Lakers are cursed since every "shooter" they bring in shoots worse with us the last couple of years. Ariza...eh. I think he's washed but we'll see. Hopefully Gay is still on the way or Danny Green. Bazemore is just ok. Numbers last year were pretty solid but I've never been a big fan of him. Doesn't really come thru much when it matters. Surprised he left GS since it seemed like he bought in (what's up with GS not attracting people so far?)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THT is a lock now that Caruso is gone.
hmmmm....i wouldnt say lock- id say 50/50 depending on Schroeder.

The Lux tax line is $136M

James- 41.2
RW- 44.2
AD- 35.3
Deng- 5.0
Gasol- 2.7

Say they sign Schroeder to either a 15M dollar contract to stay or to be traded in a sign and trade.

you are at just above 143 million.

in a strange quirk- veteran minimum deals do not count against the salary cap. You can sign as many as you want and I dont think they count against the cap- so they dont have to worry about hte Ariza/Bazemore/Howard deals to go against the cap- as long as they are indeed vet. min. deals.

So- if you signed THT to a 10M dollar a year- your total tax bill- would be about 15-20 million probably- which really isnt that much in luxury tax.

However, also count the mini-mid level- and you are prob. adding about another 5M in salary and 10M in tax.

so- if they want to use the mini- mid level- resign Schroeder to 15M to either keep or sign and trade, and re-sign THT to a 10M a year deal- there payroll would probably be like 158.....and the tax bill would prob be like 20M....something like that.

178M is really not that bad. Itll be interesting to see what happens.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-Heat coming out big winners so far. Lowry deal. Duncan back. Butler locked up long term. I'm not super high on PJ, but its just like I said back when he was available for teams at the deadline; he's basically washed but all you really hope from him is that he can frustrate a star for a game or two in the playoffs. That's exactly what happened with the Bucks against Durant and it worked for them.

-Biggest WTF contract so far for me is Fournier to the Knicks. I thought the Knicks had new management and were actually good? That was a move the old Knicks would have made.

-Spurs with a couple of head scratchers too. I'd totally take a flier on Zach Collins. Kid has a lot of talent but AWFUL injury luck. But it'd be a 1 year, prove it deal. Not 3 years for 22. Wtf

-Speaking of WTFs, what is New Orleans doing? Are they actively trying to drive Zion out of town? I somewhat understand letting Lonzo go at that price. Graham is an underrated player. But none of this feels like they're doing anything to get better.

-Shocked Jeff Green left the Nets. He was pretty important to them. Its surprising the Nets in general haven't been all that active getting vets or their own back besides Blake Griffin.

-Caruso :( :( :( I don't understand the Lakers not signing him back. Unless Caruso flat out refused to go back, they could afford to bring him back for the number he ended up with at Chicago. I'd let him walk at anything north of 10 mil, but he's a very good defensive player and the team still needs defensive guards. It sounds like they didn't put up much of a fight to keep him. You let him walk away for 9 mil per for nothing? COME ON

-As for the other Lakers moves, I love having Dwight back. I like the Ellington signing and hopefully he doesn't forget how to shoot since apparently the Lakers are cursed since every "shooter" they bring in shoots worse with us the last couple of years. Ariza...eh. I think he's washed but we'll see. Hopefully Gay is still on the way or Danny Green. Bazemore is just ok. Numbers last year were pretty solid but I've never been a big fan of him. Doesn't really come thru much when it matters. Surprised he left GS since it seemed like he bought in (what's up with GS not attracting people so far?)

Green could only get the vet min + a small raise from the Nets, so he moved on.

New Orleans needs to land a PG badly now.

Caruso gave the Lakers the opportunity to counter and they declined. Seems they were prepared to move on. Sad, but I think we fans overvalue him a bit.

It's funny, I'm getting fed up with my phone alerts being Olympic updates instead of Laker signings, lol. I don't mind the Lakers' signings so far, but they still need more. Guys like Ellington, Baze, and Ariza may not be ideal for sizable minutes (although it seems Baze was promised a sizable role). Waiting for Gay, Melo, and Mills...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat coming out big winners so far. Lowry deal. Duncan back. Butler locked up long term. I'm not super high on PJ, but its just like I said back when he was available for teams at the deadline; he's basically washed but all you really hope from him is that he can frustrate a star for a game or two in the playoffs. That's exactly what happened with the Bucks against Durant and it worked for them.
I'm satisfied with PJ. He clearly wasn't their first option at the 4. Portis and Batum seemed like their top 2 but if he can play solid defense and shoot mid to high 30's from 3 as he did in Milwaukee then I'll be happy.

Yep same here. Hate what the Knicks did
Spurs with a couple of head scratchers too. I'd totally take a flier on Zach Collins. Kid has a lot of talent but AWFUL injury luck. But it'd be a 1 year, prove it deal. Not 3 years for 22. Wtf
Not a fan but he is solid if he's healthy which is a huge IF
Speaking of WTFs, what is New Orleans doing? Are they actively trying to drive Zion out of town? I somewhat understand letting Lonzo go at that price. Graham is an underrated player. But none of this feels like they're doing anything to get better.

Will Zion even sign his extension when eligible? I can't see him there for another 5 or so years.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmm....i wouldnt say lock- id say 50/50 depending on Schroeder.

The Lux tax line is $136M

James- 41.2
RW- 44.2
AD- 35.3
Deng- 5.0
Gasol- 2.7

Say they sign Schroeder to either a 15M dollar contract to stay or to be traded in a sign and trade.

you are at just above 143 million.

in a strange quirk- veteran minimum deals do not count against the salary cap. You can sign as many as you want and I dont think they count against the cap- so they dont have to worry about hte Ariza/Bazemore/Howard deals to go against the cap- as long as they are indeed vet. min. deals.

So- if you signed THT to a 10M dollar a year- your total tax bill- would be about 15-20 million probably- which really isnt that much in luxury tax.

However, also count the mini-mid level- and you are prob. adding about another 5M in salary and 10M in tax.

so- if they want to use the mini- mid level- resign Schroeder to 15M to either keep or sign and trade, and re-sign THT to a 10M a year deal- there payroll would probably be like 158.....and the tax bill would prob be like 20M....something like that.

178M is really not that bad. Itll be interesting to see what happens.

The most THT can be get as an Arena provision case is mle year one, $10M year two, then up to $30Mish in years 3 and 4 (which would coincide with Lebron and Russ contracts being up). Luxury tax isn't much of an issue for the Lakers with their TV deal.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only real target on the Warriors board was Batum. They weren’t in the market for any of the bigger names but we will have to see. I think it’s also an indication that a lot of these vets don’t believe the Warriors have a real chance to contend. So they can’t cash them out, can’t likely win them a ring. Only thing we can really offer at this time is upside to build value. So I think the Warriors are more in the market for over-achievers at this point.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most THT can be get as an Arena provision case is mle year one, $10M year two, then up to $30Mish in years 3 and 4 (which would coincide with Lebron and Russ contracts being up). Luxury tax isn't much of an issue for the Lakers with their TV deal.

I've read several fans say this about the luxury tax and they've been wrong each time. It's not a big deal for a year or two no

Eventually it gets so ludicrous it begins to be a big deal