• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Denver Broncos Offseason Discusion

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Rypien threw 4 ints in his one NFL start. We don’t know enough about Rypien to know if he sees ghosts but 3 of those 4 ints sure looked like he saw ghosts. Can he play in the NFL? Sure... Do I want him if I have him sitting next to a Sam Darnold option? Uhhhh. Nooo! Am I 100% set on Sam Darnold? No! If our best option out there is Darnols bring him in. Rypien on the roster really have and impact on bringing in Darnold. If Rypien out does him in camp, ok cool. But unlikely. That being said I really only want Darnold for the right price and I would honestly rather roll with Lock at that stage.

An undrafted QB going out and throwing 3 INTs in his first ever start against an NFL defense isn't the worst thing ever. It's certainly not something you want to see from your QB, but it's hardly alarming. But despite his physical limitations, he's managed to complete more than 67 percent of the passes he's thrown in limited action. Meanwhile Darnold is sub-60%. You can't keep a starting job in today's NFL if you can't complete at least 60%.

Rypien has more going on between the ears, and that's something a team can actually build on.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say there is a reason why Paton always seems to miss out on replacing lock while not missing on his other targets. When the dust settles it will be Lock starting for the Broncos.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say there is a reason why Paton always seems to miss out on replacing lock while not missing on his other targets. When the dust settles it will be Lock starting for the Broncos.
I agree with this to an extent. Lock will be given every opportunity to be the starter, and silence the critics. I would like to have an other guy to be a viable starter. Darnold would be interesting as the talent was there to be the #2 pick in the draft. Let's say we trade back with the Bears, so we are sitting at 20. Would you trade 20 to the Jets for 23 and Darnold? This doe assume that they have selected Wilson at #2 which sounds like is the plan.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An undrafted QB going out and throwing 3 INTs in his first ever start against an NFL defense isn't the worst thing ever. It's certainly not something you want to see from your QB, but it's hardly alarming. But despite his physical limitations, he's managed to complete more than 67 percent of the passes he's thrown in limited action. Meanwhile Darnold is sub-60%. You can't keep a starting job in today's NFL if you can't complete at least 60%.

Rypien has more going on between the ears, and that's something a team can actually build on.
Are we really comparing the offensive lines and wr's/te's from the Jets and Broncos?

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.

Or maybe the stakes are a lot higher and more expensive to be "right" when selecting or trading for a starting qb, considering there's only 32 of them out there at a time, while there are over 100 starting DB's and other positions that have a lesser impact on the game.

But I like the thought and hopefulness, so I'll roll with your idea.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just FYI, he threw 4!

You can’t honestly say Rypien has proved himself over Darnold right now. He hasn’t been given that chance. Physically, Darnold blows him away though and jt isn’t even close. Not saying Darnold is a great QB, he jsimply is more appealing if you are going to give either a chance.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just FYI, he threw 4!

You can’t honestly say Rypien has proved himself over Darnold right now. He hasn’t been given that chance. Physically, Darnold blows him away though and jt isn’t even close. Not saying Darnold is a great QB, he jsimply is more appealing if you are going to give either a chance.

He threw 3. He threw one INT against Tampa the week earlier.

And I’m definitely not denying that Darnold doesn’t have more physical skill. He just has nothing going on mentally. Aside from being able to throw harder than Rypien, he has nothing to offer as an NFL QB.

Unlike Rypien, Darnold has thrown 4 INTs in one game. And he did it twice. And he had 0 TDS in both games. He’s not appealing to me in the least.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s right the 4th one was an easy drop by Pierre Desir (who would have had 3 that night if he caught it)

Darnold has a lot to offer as an NFL QB, he just hasn’t developed it. The question isn’t if he has anything to offer? There is without zero doubt he has a lot to offer. The question is will he develop what he has to offer? The point of acquiring Darnold would be to see if he can give us something he hasn’t given the Jets because we know it is there.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple trade back ideas that would land us an experienced QB:
Broncos trade 9 and 71 to the Jets for 23, 34, and Darnold.

Second idea:
Broncos trade 9 to the Jags for 25, 33, and Minshew.

Darnold has the better tools, but Minshew has a bit of swagger.

Not sure I love either of these options, but still like the trade back idea.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple trade back ideas that would land us an experienced QB:
Broncos trade 9 and 71 to the Jets for 23, 34, and Darnold.

Second idea:
Broncos trade 9 to the Jags for 25, 33, and Minshew.

Darnold has the better tools, but Minshew has a bit of swagger.

Not sure I love either of these options, but still like the trade back idea.

For me, if we trade back at all it's to no further than 15 in this year's draft. Otherwise, give me picks next year.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, if we trade back at all it's to no further than 15 in this year's draft. Otherwise, give me picks next year.
If we don’t pick up a QB, then I hope we can add a pick or two this year and a pick or two next year.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This takes away a potential QB that we would trade for in Darnold. I think I am ok with that, but I did like Darnold's potential and thought he needed a change of scenery. It also takes Carolina out of the teams who could potentially take a QB in this draft, although I did see something where they still could go QB. I seriously doubt they would, though. It may add Teddy B to the potential QBs that we may trade for (which is a very unappetizing list if we were looking for a QBOTF).

I have been thinking more and more over the past few weeks that Denver is going to trade up to 4 and take whoever is left over at QB. I'm not thrilled with that idea, but I don't hate it either. Most of it comes from the thinking that we're going to have to give up a lot to get that high and when we get there, we're taking the 4th best QB in the class (theoretically).

This also may drive down the price to move up for a QB. If Carolina is out of the picture, we're clearly the lead candidate (outside of Detroit, who is rarely talked about) considering where we pick vs other QB needy teams (NE, Washington, Pittsburgh). Maybe one drops in our laps at 9. Who knows?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This takes away a potential QB that we would trade for in Darnold. I think I am ok with that, but I did like Darnold's potential and thought he needed a change of scenery. It also takes Carolina out of the teams who could potentially take a QB in this draft, although I did see something where they still could go QB. I seriously doubt they would, though. It may add Teddy B to the potential QBs that we may trade for (which is a very unappetizing list if we were looking for a QBOTF).

I have been thinking more and more over the past few weeks that Denver is going to trade up to 4 and take whoever is left over at QB. I'm not thrilled with that idea, but I don't hate it either. Most of it comes from the thinking that we're going to have to give up a lot to get that high and when we get there, we're taking the 4th best QB in the class (theoretically).

This also may drive down the price to move up for a QB. If Carolina is out of the picture, we're clearly the lead candidate (outside of Detroit, who is rarely talked about) considering where we pick vs other QB needy teams (NE, Washington, Pittsburgh). Maybe one drops in our laps at 9. Who knows?
I like Darnold - I think the Jets used him poorly - because they are the Jets. I don't think Carolina goes QB in the draft after this transaction.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem unlikely that Carolina goes QB after trading 3 picks for Darnold. I am a little surprised that Darnold went for that much. That is basically a mid-1st round pick.

The options are dwindling at QB. I am starting to think there is someone we like in the draft, but maybe not early. Paton seems to be a guy that goes under the radar to get guys. Who would have thought Darby would have been singed day 1 of free agency? Anyone think we would have signed Mike Boone? Fuller was obvious with the Fangio connection. I can't wait for the draft, but really can't get a good read on what the Broncos are going to do. That is actually fantastic.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem unlikely that Carolina goes QB after trading 3 picks for Darnold. I am a little surprised that Darnold went for that much. That is basically a mid-1st round pick.

I think with 2 of the 3 picks being in 2022 that helped a little bit. The Panthers only gave up a 6th rounder this year which seems low if Darnold works out. But if he doesn’t and they’re out a 2nd and 4th next year that could spell trouble.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went for a 2021 sixth rounder, as well as 2022 second and fourth rounder. Generally next year picks are valued one full round less than face value. So the value is a 3rd, 5th, and 6th. Not that great. Using the old draft pick value chart and calling it the 16th pick in each round because we don't actually know what they'll be, that comes to 355. Using that same chart puts the value at the 23rd/24th pick in the 2nd round. Or the 55th/56th overall. He was originally picked #3 overall. Drew Lock was picked at #42 overall for comparison.