• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-22 CHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
3rd period, Hamilton down by 2 and pressing.
some rough stuff, ref takes one from each side.
Hamilton guy says a little something extra on the way to the box to take an unsportssmalike.

Sea Dogs score, and game effectively over.
coach Staios may kill him before he gets back to the bench

oh fuck, next shift out he (Humphry) takes another stupid penalty

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd period, Hamilton down by 2 and pressing.
some rough stuff, ref takes one from each side.
Hamilton guy says a little something extra on the way to the box to take an unsportssmalike.

Sea Dogs score, and game effectively over.
coach Staios may kill him before he gets back to the bench

oh fuck, next shift out he (Humphry) takes another stupid penalty
They got one back.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Campbell doing Ken Campbell things...I recall Shawinigan doing the very same thing several years ago, not sure what the solution is although maybe we should acknowledge that this tourney will likely get good attendance regardless of whether the host team is in the mix or not. You could probably have a rotation of the larger Canadian cities or maybe just host the tourney in Quebec City every year (they have a spanky new arena).

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Campbell doing Ken Campbell things...I recall Shawinigan doing the very same thing several years ago, not sure what the solution is although maybe we should acknowledge that this tourney will likely get good attendance regardless of whether the host team is in the mix or not. You could probably have a rotation of the larger Canadian cities or maybe just host the tourney in Quebec City every year (they have a spanky new arena).

It's way past time to dump the host team. I know the format has been the same for ages, but for a long time non champion hosts never managed to win so it didn't matter. Now it seems like hosts are gaining huge advantages over other teams by losing early in the playoffs. In the last 4 Memorial Cups, the hosts have made it to the final all 4 times, and won 2 of them, while 3 of those 4 hosts lost in the first round of their leagues playoffs. At this point I'm pretty much over the Memorial Cup until the format changes. IMO it no longer crowns a CHL champion.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way past time to dump the host team. I know the format has been the same for ages, but for a long time non champion hosts never managed to win so it didn't matter. Now it seems like hosts are gaining huge advantages over other teams by losing early in the playoffs. In the last 4 Memorial Cups, the hosts have made it to the final all 4 times, and won 2 of them, while 3 of those 4 hosts lost in the first round of their leagues playoffs. At this point I'm pretty much over the Memorial Cup until the format changes. IMO it no longer crowns a CHL champion.

I mean, I do understand the criticism, the Tigers were burned by the very same thing in 2007, after defeating the Giants for the WHL Championship in a hard fought 7 game series that went to OT in game 7, they lose the Mem Cup final to Vancouver as they were hosting it that year. Junior hockey is big enough now that I don't think we need the host city automatically in the tournament any longer, but like most things these days, the people in charge seem reluctant to do anything.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
make it the top 2 from each league.
that way you have some built in hate/revenge in the respective inter-league games.

6 team round robin narrows down to 4.
then you have semis and finals.

more hockey, but a much better tourney

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I do understand the criticism, the Tigers were burned by the very same thing in 2007, after defeating the Giants for the WHL Championship in a hard fought 7 game series that went to OT in game 7, they lose the Mem Cup final to Vancouver as they were hosting it that year. Junior hockey is big enough now that I don't think we need the host city automatically in the tournament any longer, but like most things these days, the people in charge seem reluctant to do anything.
Yeah and I'm not sure what the answer is either. I just know when I see a Regina Pats or Windsor Spitfires team in the final of the Memorial Cup when they lost in the first round of the playoffs, I'm not thinking that this game is pitting the 2 best teams in the CHL against each other fighting for the ultimate trophy. It used to be that you had to fight for your league first. Now it seems like losing early in the playoffs is the way to go.

I do like @puckhead's idea. I'd also be for a double round robin between the 3 champions where each team plays the other twice, once designated as the home team and once away, which would result in 6 round robin games, same as now. There's probably other solutions out there as well, but I just don't think I'm gonna have much interest in the Memorial cup until something changes.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play-by-play announcer and drove the team bus all those years - Also swore on live radio a couple of times :D

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
not quite CHL, but don't want to start a BCHL thread,
seems Turris is retired? That's a lot of talent that just kind of fizzled

Status
Not open for further replies.