• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need D and a goalie more than a winger.

The good news is we have all of those.

Looks like Nuge has one year left at 6 shmill. He's probably looking for a significant raise (I'm thinking close to 8 mill) on his next deal. That could be a tough pill to swallow.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Nuge has one year left at 6 shmill. He's probably looking for a significant raise (I'm thinking close to 8 mill) on his next deal. That could be a tough pill to swallow.
Maybe he wants out after so long there and that would be fine but given he just put up the best season of his career and seems to have finally found a role there isn't he the kinda guy Edmonton should be holding onto for dear life? Not like they really have any cap issues (at least until either an internal cap is imposed by Katz or Holland goes all Holland and spends it all on Alex Galchenyuk) and I'm not sure what they're going to get on the market for one year of him that gives more than moving him takes away.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he wants out after so long there and that would be fine but given he just put up the best season of his career and seems to have finally found a role there isn't he the kinda guy Edmonton should be holding onto for dear life? Not like they really have any cap issues (at least until either an internal cap is imposed by Katz or Holland goes all Holland and spends it all on Alex Galchenyuk) and I'm not sure what they're going to get on the market for one year of him that gives more than moving him takes away.

Yeah, I mean he's in that 2C - 3C role and he's in a pretty comfortable spot in Edmonton because they don't really count on him to drive a lot of offense (that said, you can count on him for 20+ goals and 60+ points which ain't too shabby). I think there would certainly be some interest if the Oilers maske him available, but you wonder how much he will want after next season when his contract expires.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're gonna have to accept some magic beans. Ryan Murray and Josh Anderson might do it. They give us little Jones and we'll send 'em a Latvian goalie too. No, not that one.

Yeah, I mean he's in that 2C - 3C role and he's in a pretty comfortable spot in Edmonton because they don't really count on him to drive a lot of offense (that said, you can count on him for 20+ goals and 60+ points which ain't too shabby). I think there would certainly be some interest if the Oilers maske him available, but you wonder how much he will want after next season when his contract expires.
Is that good for a 2C? Asking for Alex Wennberg's one goal this year.

Reactions: gob

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if the guy you describe in the first quote gets the money you say in the second quote, EDM is insane. Or whoever else signs him.

Thank gawd it won’t be TOR

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the guy you describe in the first quote gets the money you say in the second quote, EDM is insane. Or whoever else signs him.

Thank gawd it won’t be TOR

You're right, it won't be Toronto - They would be paying Nuge 11 million per season :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't time expired on Josh Ho-Sang being a viable NHL player?
At the very least it has with the Isles. Guy's gonna be 25 in January. It's a lost asset. Move on, it's best for both club and player.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell would they qualify him if they've publicly stated they aren't keeping him?
Typically, a club would do it just in case none of their other options pans out and they need the warm body (See Jackets and Josh Anderson - they have no interest in him staying). In Ho-Sang's case though... Yeah. Just cut bait and run.

Sure you will.

They will. Hell, even the Rangers are gonna listen on #1. Now, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell anyone could offer enough. But they'll listen.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am reading Capfriendly correctly, a buyout saves $3M in cap space this year, and $2.5M in real cash.

Starting to think the Rangers might be in stealth mode for Pietro.
One of the few teams for whom it wouldn't make much sense - have both Fox and Trouba on the right.

Probably thinking either offer sheet or eat some cap money in a trade for someone good.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am reading Capfriendly correctly, a buyout saves $3M in cap space this year, and $2.5M in real cash.

Starting to think the Rangers might be in stealth mode for Pietro.
John Davidson drafted Pietro and is really familiar with what he brings. And now he drives the bus in NYR. Would not be at all surprised.

One of the few teams for whom it wouldn't make much sense - have both Fox and Trouba on the right.

Probably thinking either offer sheet or eat some cap money in a trade for someone good.
Davidson has not had a problem letting guys go to replace them with guys he knows and trusts. Not saying it's a great idea, just that it fits his M.O..