• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 MLB Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the guy that was in alternate camp in case the Bart/Tromp/Heineman group of 2020 were in need of replacing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that Petit will be much more remembered as an A when all is said and done than as a Giant. He won a ring (and was a HUGE contributor to that ring), was one out away from a perfecto and set the MLB record for consecutive retired batters as a Giant.

I don’t remember the specifics, but I do remember that it kinda made sense to move on from him when he left, but it is still sad that a guy who accomplished that much with us didn’t have a more lasting home with us.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that Petit will be much more remembered as an A when all is said and done than as a Giant. He won a ring (and was a HUGE contributor to that ring), was one out away from a perfecto and set the MLB record for consecutive retired batters as a Giant.

I don’t remember the specifics, but I do remember that it kinda made sense to move on from him when he left, but it is still sad that a guy who accomplished that much with us didn’t have a more lasting home with us.
He was a decent long reliever with the team when he left for the Nationals but I do have a vague recollection feeling relieved (no pun intended) when he signed elsewhere. He really has come into his own as a pitcher since moving over to the AL West. He has had 5 good seasons with the Angels and Athletics. However, as you pointed out, he got his ring with the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a decent long reliever with the team when he left for the Nationals but I do have a vague recollection feeling relieved (no pun intended) when he signed elsewhere. He really has come into his own as a pitcher since moving over to the AL West. He has had 5 good seasons with the Angels and Athletics. However, as you pointed out, he got his ring with the Giants.
And his entry to the HOF. That record is impressive. 49 batters, iirc? And his near perfecto was not even part of that streak.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wiki:
Petit signed a minor league contract with the San Francisco Giants for the 2012 season.[8] He made his Giants debut as the starting pitcher on September 23, in place of Tim Lincecum, in a move to rest the regular rotation, since the Giants had clinched the NL West division title the day before. Petit allowed 2 runs and 7 hits in 4 2/3 innings in that effort; he was not the pitcher of record in a Giants loss. The Giants won the 2012 World Series over the Detroit Tigers and although Petit was not on the playoff roster, he did receive a ring.

Petit began 2013 with Triple-A Fresno, but on July 23, he was called up to help the pitching staff during a double-header. He pitched in the first game of the double-header after Eric Surkamp had a poor start. In 5.1 innings, he struck out 7 and gave up 2 runs. On July 28, he was designated for assignment.[9] Petit subsequently cleared waivers and was sent back to Fresno. He was recalled by the Giants on August 23, as a starter.

On September 6, 2013, making just his third major-league start of the year since joining the rotation as an injury replacement, Petit came within one strike of pitching a perfect game against his former team, the Arizona Diamondbacks. It was broken up on a single by pinch hitter Eric Chavez on a 3-2 count with two outs in the ninth inning. Petit would get the following out, finishing the game with 7 strikeouts and no walks on 95 pitches. The Giants won that game 3-0. The game was Petit's first career complete game and shutout.[10] He was the 12th pitcher in MLB history to lose a perfect game with two outs in the 9th inning.[11]

Petit pitching for the San Francisco Giants in 2014
During the 2014 season, Petit worked mostly in relief, with occasional starts.[12] Making a spot start in place of the injured Matt Cain on July 22 and giving up five runs (increasing his season ERA to 4.11[12]), Petit recorded the last out of the fifth inning and subsequently proceeded to post six consecutive perfect relief appearances, of lengths varying from 1 to 4 1⁄3 innings, totalling 38 consecutive retired batters.[13] On August 28, Petit returned to the Giants starting rotation in place of Tim Lincecum and set down the first eight Colorado Rockies to set a new MLB record for consecutive batters retired at 46 (over a period of eight games), breaking the record of 45 formerly held by Mark Buehrle. Buehrle's streak included his perfect game and the starts before and after. Buehrle had broken a 1972 record of 41 consecutive retired batters that had been set by Jim Barr over the course of two complete-game wins, from the third inning of one to the seventh inning of the next; Barr's mark had been tied in 2007 by Bobby Jenks over the course of 14 relief appearances. He also broke Buehrle's record for consecutive perfect innings pitched by 0.1 with 15.1. After giving up a third-inning double to opposing pitcher Jordan Lyles to snap the streak, Petit proceeded to complete six innings, allowing four hits and a run, to record the win and reduce his season ERA to 3.44.[12][13][14]

In the Giants' 18-inning victory over the Washington Nationals in the second game of the 2014 National League Division Series, Petit pitched 6 shut-out innings to get the win, as Brandon Belt hit the game-winning home run in the 18th.[15]

In Game 4 of the 2014 National League Championship Series, Petit pitched three scoreless innings in relief of Ryan Vogelsong that gave the Giants time to erase a 4-1 deficit.[16]

With the Giants' victory over the Kansas City Royals to secure the 2014 World Series title, Petit won his second world championship. He also became the only professional baseball player to win both the Little League World Series and the MLB World Series.[1]

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And his entry to the HOF. That record is impressive. 49 batters, iirc? And his near perfecto was not even part of that streak.
Completely forgot about that record he broke. He's had a nice little career. Hope he continues to do well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear...

I am not saying he will be elected into the Hall, or that he should be. But he set an impressive record, and I believe some of the paraphernalia from the streak was in the Hall of Fame Museum for at least some time (still is?).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear...

I am not saying he will be elected into the Hall, or that he should be. But he set an impressive record, and I believe some of the paraphernalia from the streak was in the Hall of Fame Museum for at least some time (still is?).
I didn't think you're delusional enough to think that Petit would make the Hall, even with the veteran's committee, so I assumed you meant he would be honored for breaking the record.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mets are stockpiling outfielders. Rumors are suggesting that they are still interested in JBJ.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear...

I think we all knew what you meant.

Hey Mods, would one of you delete the thread I created entitled, "@calsnowskier is crazy if he thinks Yusmeiro Petit belongs in the HOF..." ? Thanks...

:dhd:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:eek: Yeah, I think the Giants could have re-signed him if they wanted and for cheaper than McGee. Watson will get $3 million if he makes the roster.
I do have to wonder if there is some injury that is known but not published. The dude has been the model of consistency and he can only get a minor league deal at the start of spring training while guys like Ross Detwiler, Andrew Chafin, Aaron Loup, Aaron Sanchez and Kendall Graveman get guaranteed deals.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:eek: Yeah, I think the Giants could have re-signed him if they wanted and for cheaper than McGee. Watson will get $3 million if he makes the roster.
I do have to wonder if there is some injury that is known but not published. The dude has been the model of consistency and he can only get a minor league deal at the start of spring training while guys like Ross Detwiler, Andrew Chafin, Aaron Loup, Aaron Sanchez and Kendall Graveman get guaranteed deals.
An update: I read that his velo was down in 2020 so there was some concern about that among clubs. That, combined with his age and the scarcity of typical free agent contracts, probably helped make this happen. Still, I would have at least liked the Giants to have brought him back for that little but I guess that they felt that what they saw of him in 2020 was enough to move on. Yet he was still effective, albeit in a small sample size, in 2020.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An update: I read that his velo was down in 2020 so there was some concern about that among clubs. That, combined with his age and the scarcity of typical free agent contracts, probably helped make this happen. Still, I would have at least liked the Giants to have brought him back for that little but I guess that they felt that what they saw of him in 2020 was enough to move on. Yet he was still effective, albeit in a small sample size, in 2020.
Gotta think there's a medical thing there. Just makes no sense otherwise.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think there's a medical thing there. Just makes no sense otherwise.
As I ponder it more, I do wonder if the combination of reduced velo, age and "loss of revenue" created the perfect storm for Watson to get pushed to accepting a minor league deal. McGee lucked out. He's the only lefty reliever on the market who got a 2 year guaranteed deal. Andrew Chafin was the closest but he only signed a one year with an option. All other lefties signed a 1 year guaranteed or minor league deal.