• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Giants Top Prospects

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you mean by this, as Zaidi has been doing this type of move fairly consistently in his 2 years.
It is a very hit and miss move. Picking up guys and hoping to find a bargain requires a lot of movement to find the needle in the haystack. Some are keepers, many are not. The problem is knowing when a keeper is found (i.e. Dickerson) and not jettisoning him before its known (i.e. Murphy).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a very hit and miss move. Picking up guys and hoping to find a bargain requires a lot of movement to find the needle in the haystack. Some are keepers, many are not. The problem is knowing when a keeper is found (i.e. Dickerson) and not jettisoning him before its known (i.e. Murphy).

I appreciate the effort at least from Zaidi, it shows me diligence and that they're always looking.

That being said, I think those two moves are quite different. I think the Giants acquired Dickerson fully intending him to play right away. They weren't trying to stash and develop him further, he was an asset that they sought for immediate production. Murphy was a guy they intended to stash, a commodity they hoped to further develop. They didn't jettison Murphy because they didn't think he would stick, but they didn't want to waste an option year or a roster spot on him but hoped to still retain his rights. Guys like Lopez and Siri and Alberto and probably Basabe fall under this category too.

Basically Zaidi is trying to restock the minors for free. If they lose him, too bad, but they're not going to compromise the roster flexibility to keep them around. If they keep him, great you've added a talented young player with a chance to see him up close.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some love for McCray from Bowden:

Grant McCray, OF

Scouting grades:
HIT: 55 PWR: 50 RUN: 60 ARM: 55 FLD: 55

The Giants drafted McCray in the third round in 2019 out of Lakewood Ranch High in Bradenton, Fla., somehow getting him to forego his commitment to Florida State. There is no doubt that McCray has first-round tools, but he is still raw. He’s extremely patient at the plate and has a short, quick swing with consistent barrel contact. He’s an above-average defender with above-average range and a plus arm. He can steal bases but needs a lot of work on reading pitchers’ moves and understanding when to run. He’s going to take time, but there is no doubt he has as much ceiling as any Giants prospect.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need the minors to start up again. I vaguely remember talking about this kid when he was drafted, but he has completely fallen off my radar.