• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 draft thread

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the fact that the Skins are supposedly committed to the 43 D make it more likely that they keep the pick (and obviously use it on Chase Young)?

Yes! The question for some is what's to be done with Kerrigan?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where does he slot ?

I don't know yet, however if Washington plan to draft a QB, they would do well to draft one who's playing style closely matches that of Dwayne Haskins. ( Now watch the nay sayers object)

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! The question for some is what's to be done with Kerrigan?
I thought Sweat And Kerrigan were considered 43 DE's - same as Young; not OLBers. Am I wrong on that?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Sweat And Kerrigan were considered 43 DE's - same as Young; not OLBers. Am I wrong on that?

Nope, you're not wrong about that but if there's a Sweat/Young pairing some are wondering what happens to RK.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not wrong. The were actually DEs in college who were made standup OLBs (DEs) in the pros. Currently Kerrigan has played with his had in the dirt for several years when the Redskins are in a 4-2 defense. Same for Sweat.

Kerrigan is in the last year of his contract and due to make $11.5 million this year. Word is he has told his agent to do whatever it takes to stay in Washington or willing to take a pay cut. That asks the question how do Rivera and Del Rio view Kerrigan and Sweat. As a DE? Do you add another guy, Chase Young as a DE? Do they think Sweat and or Young if he declares and is drafted can play Sam LBer. It all depends on how the new HC and DC project the current players.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how the new coaching staff is going to build out the front 7. That also includes the middle and weak side LBers. Right now if I was a betting man I would guess Allen at LDE, Ironman and Payne at DTs. The other 4 positions are what I am interested in seeing how they configure the D.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not wrong. The were actually DEs in college who were made standup OLBs (DEs) in the pros. Currently Kerrigan has played with his had in the dirt for several years when the Redskins are in a 4-2 defense. Same for Sweat.

Kerrigan is in the last year of his contract and due to make $11.5 million this year. Word is he has told his agent to do whatever it takes to stay in Washington or willing to take a pay cut. That asks the question how do Rivera and Del Rio view Kerrigan and Sweat. As a DE? Do you add another guy, Chase Young as a DE? Do they think Sweat and or Young if he declares and is drafted can play Sam LBer. It all depends on how the new HC and DC project the current players.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how the new coaching staff is going to build out the front 7. That also includes the middle and weak side LBers. Right now if I was a betting man I would guess Allen at LDE, Ironman and Payne at DTs. The other 4 positions are what I am interested in seeing how they configure the D.
That's the way I see it. My concern is that if we pick Young, it forces Sweat to OLBer - and I'm not sure that's where he should play. Sweat's a major piece of the Skins' future, so it's important that they use him optimally. And as Stymie pointed out, it's also an issue with Kerrigan.

I'm feeling more and more that the Skins best move is to trade down from the 2nd pick - and that it's important to add a true 43 OLBer.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way I see it. My concern is that if we pick Young, it forces Sweat to OLBer - and I'm not sure that's where he should play. Sweat's a major piece of the Skins' future, so it's important that they use him optimally. And as Stymie pointed out, it's also an issue with Kerrigan.

I'm feeling more and more that the Skins best move is to trade down from the 2nd pick - and that it's important to add a true 43 OLBer.

I am starting to be of the same mind and I wanted Young badly. If you put any of Kerrigan, Sweat or Young at strong side they are going to have pass coverage responsibility. Same goes for Anderson. Folks here were going nuts about them covering the flat in the 3-4. If you are successful on 1st down and put the opponent in a passing situation then you pull a LBer (likely strong side) and go to a 4-2 defense.

As for Young I think it depends on how the team evaluates him. If they see him as a generational talent then you find a spot for him and probably cut Kerrigan since he can be cut with no cap hit. All guess work on my part as they guys that were interviewed yesterday are paid a lot of money to make those decisions. It sounds like Dan called Rivera right after he was fired and he has started film study right then and there.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that at some point we can all agree that the base 3-4 was a colossal failure. A return to the base 4-3 which is what's being reported, looks as if several players are going to return to the positions that they were playing in school, while a couple of others will be charged with mastering new spots.

If there's any chance that the new coaching team is able to get the current players to play up to their billing, then this defensive team has an abundance of talent without the addition of a player like Chase Young if he declares. If he is drafted and the start point is Young and Sweat at DE, that leaves questions about both Kerrigan and Allen.

The questions remain even if Young stays in school. Plug in Allen and Sweat at DE leaves Kerrigan as a pretty expensive rotational guy. Lots of questions to be asked and answered by JDR and company.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on natural positions. Let me know if I'm wrong on any of these.

Allen 43 DE or 43 DT
Sweat 43 DE
Young 43 DE
Kerrigan 43 DE

Ioannidis 43 DT
Payne 43 DT
Settle 34 NT

Anderson 34 OLB
Foster 43 MLB or 34 MLB
Bostic 43 MLB or 34 MLB
Holcomb 34 MLB or 43 OLB
Dion-Hamilton 34 MLB or 43 OLB

There is a definite logjam at 43 End. I'll let Del Rio figure it out.

I still think we'll play a lot of 52 fronts and some 34. We'll see.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that at some point we can all agree that the base 3-4 was a colossal failure. A return to the base 4-3 which is what's being reported, looks as if several players are going to return to the positions that they were playing in school, while a couple of others will be charged with mastering new spots.

If there's any chance that the new coaching team is able to get the current players to play up to their billing, then this defensive team has an abundance of talent without the addition of a player like Chase Young if he declares. If he is drafted and the start point is Young and Sweat at DE, that leaves questions about both Kerrigan and Allen.

The questions remain even if Young stays in school. Plug in Allen and Sweat at DE leaves Kerrigan as a pretty expensive rotational guy. Lots of questions to be asked and answered by JDR and company.

i dont think the 3-4 was a failure . i think hass;ett , barry and shitsky were failures at coaching it

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think the 3-4 was a failure . i think hass;ett , barry and shitsky were failures at coaching it

Agree! We know the 3-4 defense works ... it was coached poorly here.

My guess is the new coaching staff runs some 3-4 just like the outgoing staff ran a lot of 4-3 (4-2). The new staff will probably run some if not a lot of 4-3 under which puts the Sam LBer on the line over the TE. This is a form of a 5 man front much like a 3-4.

Way too much is being made of the scheme. It is the FREAKIN' execution of the scheme that matters.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it would take days to get around him. I see him not even ranked in the top 10 of OT's in this draft - the depth seems to be amazing this year.
He could be a swing tackle to start out

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll not disagree with what you've written, but this is a bottom line business and in this case the bottom line, whether it was coached poorly or not has been an on field failure. The concept alone isn't a failure, on that I agree with you, but you have to admit it just hasn't worked here from birth to abortion.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll not disagree with what you've written, but this is a bottom line business and in this case the bottom line, whether it was coached poorly or not has been an on field failure. The concept alone isn't a failure, on that I agree with you, but you have to admit it just hasn't worked here from birth to abortion.

Very little has worked here since 1992.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on natural positions. Let me know if I'm wrong on any of these.

Allen 43 DE or 43 DT
Sweat 43 DE
Young 43 DE
Kerrigan 43 DE

Ioannidis 43 DT
Payne 43 DT
Settle 34 NT

Anderson 34 OLB
Foster 43 MLB or 34 MLB
Bostic 43 MLB or 34 MLB
Holcomb 34 MLB or 43 OLB
Dion-Hamilton 34 MLB or 43 OLB

There is a definite logjam at 43 End. I'll let Del Rio figure it out.

I still think we'll play a lot of 52 fronts and some 34. We'll see.

We should entertain the possibly of trading Kerrigan or Allen. IMO if someone offers a 2nd for RK we should be all over it.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trading Allen. RK if the price is right.