• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck trading CP3. He's scheduled to be paid $38 million, $41 million and $44 million over the next 3 years. Unless someone feels that he can put them over the top, I don't see how they could trade him.

Maybe for John Wall?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck trading CP3. He's scheduled to be paid $38 million, $41 million and $44 million over the next 3 years. Unless someone feels that he can put them over the top, I don't see how they could trade him.

You gonna be big mad when GM Lebron trades for him. Only need to get Melo to reform 3/4ths of the banana boat crew.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would keep CP and trade Capela or Gordon

Much easier contract to trade and he isn't out of his prime yet either

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too sharp there are ya, little buckaroo. We are talking about the record of the Cs with and without Kyrie THIS season.

But to get to your irrelevant comment.....GS improved? Houston? New Orleans? SA? OKC?
Partial records during this season is even more stupid for one to compare and end up to a safe conclusion... Comparing different records made against different schedule of competition is the fist thing that students of statistics learn to avoid!

Best method is to compare the efficiency of the team in the game when rotating the players that are under comparison.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Partial records during this season is even more stupid for one to compare and end up to a safe conclusion... Comparing different records made against different schedule of competition is the fist thing that students of statistics learn to avoid!

Best method is to compare the efficiency of the team in the game when rotating the players that are under comparison.
If it was just a few or even handful of games on either side I would agree. But there are far more than a handful with and without him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who ever said that Tony Snell will be traded for an All Star? He may be included in a package for an All Star, or he may be traded for a different role player that the Bucks need more, or he may be traded for a "salary filler" contract in a 3-team deal, but he will be traded!

The two contracts that the Cavs made on Hill and J.R. Smith, are the best in the entire league for teams that want to save cup space to receive.

Not true. Only the Smith contract is valuable.

Why J.R. Smith May (Or May Not) Be A Valuable Offseason Trade Chip

Okay, but why are we focusing on just Smith? Aren’t there other players around the league with similar contracts?

To some extent, yes. George Hill, for example, has an $18MM cap hit for next season, but only $1MM of his salary is guaranteed. Avery Bradley has a $2MM guarantee on his $12.96MM salary.

The detail that differentiates Smith’s contract is the date it was signed. Hill’s and Bradley’s contracts were inked under the league’s current Collective Bargaining Agreement, which went into effect in 2017. Smith signed his deal a year earlier, in 2016, under the old CBA.

The current CBA changed the rules regarding how partially guaranteed contracts are handled in trades, as we outlined in more detail here. In short, if the Bucks wanted to trade Hill this offseason, his contract would only count for $1MM for salary-matching purposes under the new rules — not $18MM. Bradley would count for just $2MM for salary-matching purposes. That essentially eliminates the ability for a team to create cap room by trading a guaranteed contract for a non-guaranteed one.

But the old rules still apply to Smith’s contract, signed under the old CBA, which means it counts for the full $14.72MM for salary-matching purposes. And that means that the Cavs could take back up to $19.72MM in returning salary in exchange for Smith in June.

Smith is currently the only NBA player who has a contract that fits this bill, and the rebuilding Cavs are in prime position to capitalize on it, since they don’t expect to contend next season and don’t mind taking on some bad money if it nets them another long-term asset.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CP3 will be extremely difficult to move... There is competition in the market too with all CP3, Wall & Westbrook available... I doubt any of those three can be moved without their team "eating" a bad contract in return...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a Post of the Year here, this has to be considered.

LOL. In clearer words, he was the worst healthy player available on the roster throughout the playoffs. Not only did he play the fewest minutes, but had the worst EFG% on the team (.417). 28 minutes, 5 pts (on 6 shots), 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and 3 fouls.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. I doubt they'll have much choice but to keep CP3. So a Gordon or Capela trade would be more likely, imo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CP3 will be extremely difficult to move... There is competition in the market too with all CP3, Wall & Westbrook available... I doubt any of those three can be moved without their team "eating" a bad contract in return...

That's why maybe a Wall for CP3 trade makes sense. Wall would extend the title window for Harden further than CP3, while CP3 could help the Wiz right away and come off the books a year earlier. Of course, a lot would depend on the outlook for Wall's recovery (currently projecting his return around Feb 2020). Houston could decide not to wait that long, understandably, especially when dealing with an achilles injury.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw on one of those morning shows which talked about Eric Gordon's usage and his role and I completely agreed he was being misused. He's being relegated to a spot up 3 point shooter. While he's excellent at it, he's not utilizing his full skill set by being able to set up mid ranges or take the ball to the hoop as much. His production should be much more in-line with a Lou Williams. The Rockets don't need personnel changes, IMO. What they need is a restructuring of the offense that's not so heavily dominated by the 3 ball. They have elite shooters, which space the floor, but their inability to utilize the mid range area is killing them. They need more balance, not different players.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell didn't play in the playoffs, only because the Bucks have plenty and cheaper alternatives... Partly the reason why he will be traded... Everybody that is in need for a 3&D wing wants him, especially as he is young, has a "team friendly" contract and carries his "bird rights" with his contract...

I love the logic:

Bucks don't play Snell because they have cheaper alternatives.

Then they're going to call teams asking for an asset in return for a higher priced guy who's value is very replaceable by cheaper alternatives.

LOL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the logic:

Bucks don't play Snell because they have cheaper alternatives.

Then they're going to call teams asking for an asset in return for a higher priced guy who's value is very replaceable by cheaper alternatives.

LOL.
Baffles me someone would write that as opposed to just saying "I was wrong. My bad."

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually the new CBA is applicable on all contracts made after the 2nd of July 2017. Hill's contract with Sacramento is on the 1st of July and therefore is protected under the old CBA agreement...

I know that if one checks on web he'll see as date the 10th of July, but Hill tweeted on the 4th of July 2017 (because of the liberation day and also because he got engaged that day) that he has already signed a 3/57M new contract with the Kings and if one checks his contract's details, he'll see that his contract is valid until the 2nd of July 2019 (3 years later) in which date he can either be waived or his salary becomes guaranteed (for the 3rd year) thereafter.

It appears that some reporters confuse the date in which a contract reaches the NBA central office with the date that a contract was signed.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Bucks will trade Hill as to shade salary from another team that is in need to do so... The Bucks may decide instead to resign Hill for 5-6M annually and keep him since he proved to be a valuable piece in the Bucks rotation.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the new CBA is applicable on all contracts made after the 2nd of July 2017. Hill's contract with Sacramento is on the 1st of July and therefore is protected under the old CBA agreement...

I know that if one checks on web he'll see as date the 10th of July, but Hill tweeted on the 4th of July 2017 (because of the liberation day and also because he got engaged that day) that he has already signed a 3/57M new contract with the Kings and if one checks his contract's details, he'll see that his contract is valid until the 2nd of July 2019 (3 years later) in which date he can either be waived or his salary becomes guaranteed (for the 3rd year) thereafter.

It appears that some reporters confuse the date in which a contract reaches the NBA central office with the date that a contract was signed.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Bucks will trade Hill as to shade salary from another team that is in need to do so... The Bucks may decide instead to resign Hill for 5-6M annually and keep him since he proved to be a valuable piece in the Bucks rotation.

Contracts CANNOT be signed on the 1st of July. There is a moratorium on contract signings for the first week or so in every free agency period.

Key 2018 NBA Offseason Dates, Deadlines

July 1

• Official start of the 2018/19 NBA league year.
  • July moratorium begins.
  • Free agents can begin reaching verbal agreements with teams.
  • Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
  • Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
July 6

• July moratorium ends (11:00am CT)
  • Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades.
  • The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts CANNOT be signed on the 1st of July. There is a moratorium on contract signings for the first week or so in every free agency period.

Key 2018 NBA Offseason Dates, Deadlines

Exactly, it's what I'm saying... The new CBA agreement is valid for contracts that were made after the 2nd of July 2017... Hill's guaranteed part of the contract ends at the 2nd of July 2019, which means that his contract (which he tweeted for on the 4th of July 2017) is the last day before the 2nd of July or before... Hill's contract is with the old CBA.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, it's what I'm saying... The new CBA agreement is valid for contracts that were made after the 2nd of July

Yes, including Hill's contract. Thus, the trade value of his contract is equal to the guaranteed portion under the new CBA.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gonna be big mad when GM Lebron trades for him. Only need to get Melo to reform 3/4ths of the banana boat crew.

2019-2020 NBA Champions - The Banana Boat Crew

Book it!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any talk of moving the coach ffs?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, including Hill's contract. Thus, the trade value of his contract is equal to the guaranteed portion under the new CBA.
No it's not... it's with the old CBA. On the article you posted the reporter assumes that Hill's contract was signed at the 10th of July, but it is clear from the contract terms that before the 2nd of each July, Hill is in his guaranteed part of the contract and then on the 2nd of July 2019, the team can either pay him 1M and release him or guarantee the third year's salary. Clearly Hill has signed before the 2nd of July of 2017 and tweeted that he has signed with Sacramento a 3/57M contract on the 4th of July the day he got engaged.