• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you said he'd fail. And I agreed, but reminded you as a #2 he can hit big shots and it seems likely where he ends up he will now be the #2.

If you care to use crayons in your reply get the 64 pack and be creative please.

Yes I said he's not a # 1. He won't be the main guy to lead a team to a title. It was you (not me) that tried to change the subject & start talking about him as a # 2 option.

And this isn't the 1st (or the last time) you'll take a comment of mine (or others) & try to spin it a different way. Bringing up something that has nothing to do w/ the original topic.

Just like when you tried to say I said Klay > Embiid & AD. Which I never claimed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all that.

@dtgold88 specifcally uses the stats to call Klay overrated.

He is wrong.
OK, now you did specifically call me out and I did not call Klay overrated in this discussion. In fact, I said one could make a worthy argument for him to make an all NBA team.....as they could for him to be excluded.

Next time, though, I'll limit to my thoughts on Klay with you to what a parent says to his child (since we shouldn't use stats) and just say "because I said so."

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I said he's not a # 1. He won't be the main guy to lead a team to a title. It was you (not me) that tried to change the subject & start talking about him as a # 2 option.

And this isn't the 1st (or the last time) you'll take a comment of mine (or others) & try to spin it a different way. Bringing up something that has nothing to do w/ the original topic.

Just like when you tried to say I said Klay > Embiid & AD. Which I never claimed.
Gee, I wonder why I talked about him as a #2. Could it be because it appears the next team he joins he'll be the #2 and how he performs in this role might be relevant?

And that next comment of yours? Oh my. a thread will go about 10 replies deep at most if you don't want a topic to "go a different way.'

Just say what is painfully obvious - "sorry, dt. I notice you did agree with me, so silly of me to imply you just want to disagree here. You just added a little something to the discussion as it seems Kyrie also knows he will no longer be a #1 and will go back to where he had his most success - as a #2."

For your sake you should just let the Klay/Embiid/AD thing go as you did, in fact, imply what I claimed you implied. and it's as silly now as it was then.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"shutting down Eric Gordon"? The idea you said this should speak volumes. Gordon can shut down Gordon

You do what you usually do, play up your guy and spin everything in his favor. Because that and being Extreme Guy is your MO.

You just said when CP and Gordon played well must have meant Klay had nothing to do with it. Poorly? all Klay.

LOL. Did you watch the games?

I am guessing no.

Games 1-5, Klay was the primary defender on Chris Paul. In those games, here were Paul's stats:

1: 17 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists on 5-9 shooting
2: 18 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists on 6-14
3: 14 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists on 4-8
4: 13 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists on 4-11
5: 11 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists on 3-14

Averages of: 14.6, 6.4 and 5.6 on 39.2% shooting

Gordon stats games 1-5:

1: 27 points on 10/19 shooting
2: 15 points on 6/13 shooting
3: 30 points on 11-20
4: 20 points on 6-17
5: 19 points on 5-15

Averages of 22.2 PPG on 45% shooting

Game 6 you ask?

Chris Paul had by far his best game of the series with 27, 11 and 6 on 11/19 shooting, while EG had his worst with 9 points on 4-10 shooting.

But I am sure that is just a coincidence, right?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Did you watch the games?

I am guessing no.

Games 1-5, Klay was the primary defender on Chris Paul. In those games, here were Paul's stats:

1: 17 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists on 5-9 shooting
2: 18 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists on 6-14
3: 14 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists on 4-8
4: 13 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists on 4-11
5: 11 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists on 3-14

Averages of: 14.6, 6.4 and 5.6 on 39.2% shooting

Gordon stats games 1-5:

1: 27 points on 10/19 shooting
2: 15 points on 6/13 shooting
3: 30 points on 11-20
4: 20 points on 6-17
5: 19 points on 5-15

Averages of 22.2 PPG on 45% shooting

Game 6 you ask?

Chris Paul had by far his best game of the series with 27, 11 and 6 on 11/19 shooting, while EG had his worst with 9 points on 4-10 shooting.

But I am sure that is just a coincidence, right?
Don't know, but assuming even that Klay was the primary defender on who you say in these games, it is quite possible it was, in fact, coincidence. These are very small sample sizes. Guys (and even teams) have great and off nights even when defended by the same people for the most part. In the playoffs with the same matchups in many of the games a guy can look elite one game and like ass the next.

Take your own pickup games on the mean streets where you play. Have you never been on fire one day and cannot hit water from a boat in another?

Never mind after saying it's foolish to use stats you just used stats. Never mind I never used them here to call Klay overrated.

You are priceless.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beal can play solid D as well and create his own shot and get shots for others (though his "others" have never been Durant and Curry). Can Klay? Not so sure.

Beal is a better creator.

But you continue to seriously underestimate Klay's defense while also failing to recognize the value of a high end scorer that does his damage off the ball.

Beal is not as good as Klay off the ball, which makes Klay the better fit as the number 2.

And frankly, I don't care who makes the better first option, because neither is the first option I want to build a team around.

Even then, Billups, Rose and PP were discussing this very topic prior to their last broadcast a couple nights ago. I believe it was Jalen who said something to this effect:

"Kemba and Beal are both more deserving of all NBA honors than Klay is this season. But, if you ask GMs around the league who they want on their team, 100% would take Klay."

To which the other 2 instantly agreed. And if you ever watch them, they don't all agree about much beyond the obvious stuff.

Klay is the better basketball player, and he fits with everyone because of his style.

I hope for Beal's sake he gets a chance to play in a winning environment sometime soon. But Klay is proven and he is a winner.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know, but assuming even that Klay was the primary defender on who you say in these games, it is quite possible it was, in fact, coincidence. These are very small sample sizes. Guys (and even teams) have great and off nights even when defended by the same people for the most part. In the playoffs with the same matchups in many of the games a guy can look elite one game and like ass the next.

Take your own pickup games on the mean streets where you play. Have you never been on fire one day and cannot hit water from a boat in another?

Never mind after saying it's foolish to use stats you just used stats. Never mind I never used them here to call Klay overrated.

You are priceless.

Dude.

I watched the games. Clearly you didn't. Klay took EG out of the game after he had been a focal point through the first 5 games while CP took a back seat.

You are basing your opinion on defensive stats that frankly don't work.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beal is a better creator.

But you continue to seriously underestimate Klay's defense while also failing to recognize the value of a high end scorer that does his damage off the ball.

Beal is not as good as Klay off the ball, which makes Klay the better fit as the number 2.

And frankly, I don't care who makes the better first option, because neither is the first option I want to build a team around.

Even then, Billups, Rose and PP were discussing this very topic prior to their last broadcast a couple nights ago. I believe it was Jalen who said something to this effect:

"Kemba and Beal are both more deserving of all NBA honors than Klay is this season. But, if you ask GMs around the league who they want on their team, 100% would take Klay."

To which the other 2 instantly agreed. And if you ever watch them, they don't all agree about much beyond the obvious stuff.

Klay is the better basketball player, and he fits with everyone because of his style.

I hope for Beal's sake he gets a chance to play in a winning environment sometime soon. But Klay is proven and he is a winner.
I think he MIGHT fit with other teams but everyone is a stretch since all we know is he fits with Curry, Green and Durant.

You get those 3 (especially PP) have often been wrong, correct?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

I watched the games. Clearly you didn't. Klay took EG out of the game after he had been a focal point through the first 5 games while CP took a back seat.

You are basing your opinion on defensive stats that frankly don't work.
I'm not basing anything on defensive stats. I'm saying what is true. Many use advanced defensive metrics when they support their premise. when they don't they do what you do and claim eye test or just say the metrics don't matter.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he MIGHT fit with other teams but everyone is a stretch since all we know is he fits with Curry, Green and Durant.

You get those 3 (especially PP) have often been wrong, correct?

Of course.

Anyone can watch Klay play and know hat his style fits with any other star because he doesn't need the ball and he is an elite defender than can guard multiple positions.

There is not a more appealing skill set in the entire league in terms of pairing with their good players. Again, because he is so damn good playing off the ball and defenses still have to allocate resources to stop him.

This is one of those times where you don't have to see it happen to know it.

You can keep pounding your head against the wall and denying Klay Thompson's greatness as a team player, but you are basically on an island of 1 here. And for good reason.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, I wonder why I talked about him as a #2. Could it be because it appears the next team he joins he'll be the #2 and how he performs in this role might be relevant?

And that next comment of yours? Oh my. a thread will go about 10 replies deep at most if you don't want a topic to "go a different way.'

Just say what is painfully obvious - "sorry, dt. I notice you did agree with me, so silly of me to imply you just want to disagree here. You just added a little something to the discussion as it seems Kyrie also knows he will no longer be a #1 and will go back to where he had his most success - as a #2."

For your sake you should just let the Klay/Embiid/AD thing go as you did, in fact, imply what I claimed you implied. and it's as silly now as it was then.

:crazy:

One more time. I was never talking about him as # 2 option like you're trying to do. I was only talking about him as a # 1 option & leading a team to a title as the main guy. Do you finally understand? Because I can't say it any clearer.

You should know this since I've already said the same thing multiple times. But you go right on ahead w/ your crusade. Even if it has nothing to do w/ what I was originally talking about.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.

Anyone can watch Klay play and know hat his style fits with any other star because he doesn't need the ball and he is an elite defender than can guard multiple positions.

There is not a more appealing skill set in the entire league in terms of pairing with their good players. Again, because he is so damn good playing off the ball and defenses still have to allocate resources to stop him.

This is one of those times where you don't have to see it happen to know it.

You can keep pounding your head against the wall and denying Klay Thompson's greatness as a team player, but you are basically on an island of 1 here. And for good reason.
Guessing you know being a great shooter, solid defender AND a guy who create for himself and others can also fit well with another superstar?

Or at least I'd hope you know this.

Also have never said here Klay is not a very good player and a great guy to pair with another star.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:crazy:

One more time. I was never talking about him as # 2 option like you're trying to do. I was only talking about him as a # 1 option & leading a team to a title as the main guy. Do you finally understand? Because I can't say it any clearer.

You should know this since I've already said the same thing multiple times. But you go right on ahead w/ your crusade. Even if it has nothing to do w/ what I was originally talking about.
Yes, I get this, which was why I said I agree with your assertion of Kyrie as a #1. I then did what often happens here, and added to the discussion, pointing out as a #2 - where he will likely be in his next stop - he has made a number of big shots and had a number of big games.

do you finally understand? Because I cannot say it any clearer?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing you know being a great shooter, solid defender AND a guy who creat for himself and others can also fit well with another superstar?

Or at least I'd hope you know this.

Um...

I am pretty sure I have watched Beal play a lot more than you.

He is far more Ball needy than Klay and he gets a lot of his shots off the dribble.

If I am pairing a player with a legit superstar, less is more in terms of how much they need to be on the ball.

I am not saying Beal wouldn't fit well. I think he would in most cases. Just not as well as Klay.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um...

I am pretty sure I have watched Beal play a lot more than you.

He is far more Ball needy than Klay and he gets a lot of his shots off the dribble.

If I am pairing a player with a legit superstar, less is more in terms of how much they need to be on the ball.

I am not saying Beal wouldn't fit well. I think he would in most cases. Just not as well as Klay.
No real disagreement there at all. While I do think Beal is better, it is close and think the idea Klay is better is justifiable. Just hard to be sure when he's played with a stable franchise and most of his success has been alongside HOF talent (often 2-3 HOFers). Beal, as I know you know, has not had quite had the same benefits.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I get this, which was why I said I agree with your assertion of Kyrie as a #1. I then did what often happens here, and added to the discussion, pointing out as a #2 - where he will likely be in his next stop - he has made a number of big shots and had a number of big games.

do you finally understand? Because I cannot say it any clearer?

And I said I wasn't talking about him as a # 2 option. Yet you keep going on & on. For some reason that's not good enough for you. Here's a suggestion. Go to the Cavs hire Beilein thread & read comment # 94. It sums things up perfectly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I said I wasn't talking about him as a # 2 option. Yet you keep going on & on. .
says Wamu while going on and on.

Here's a flash. Comments are often made here. Folks might agree or disagree. Then - and this is the crazy part - they might add something else to the discussion.

See thousands of various comments to see what I'm talking about.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I said I wasn't talking about him as a # 2 option. Yet you keep going on & on. For some reason that's not good enough for you. Here's a suggestion. Go to the Cavs hire Beilein thread & read comment # 94. It sums things up perfectly.
If he really thinks this it only sums it up for him. I don't have a problem with anyone here. Disagreeing with me on a sports topic does not make me consider that person a problem for me.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
says Wamu while going on and on.

Here's a flash. Comments are often made here. Folks might agree or disagree. Then - and this is the crazy part - they might add something else to the discussion.

See thousands of various comments to see what I'm talking about.

On & on? I have to keep telling you the same thing because you refuse to listen. I don't care about the topic of Kyrie as a # 2 option. I've told you that already. Because that's not what I was talking about. Now I'm done w/ this round & round discussion.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On & on? I have to keep telling you the same thing because you refuse to listen. I don't care about the topic of Kyrie as a # 2 option. I've told you that already. Because that's not what I was talking about. Now I'm done w/ this round & round discussion.
OK, but I did care which was why I made it. And it seemed relevant because in his next stop it appears he will be a #2, so that team probably doesn't care what he's done as a #1.